Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Shooters - Have you seen this >

CVA Shooters - Have you seen this

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Shooters - Have you seen this

Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default CVA Shooters - Have you seen this

For 2010 and newer CVA Breech Plug with removable Vent Liner

Follow this link
https://www.lehighdefense.com/index....r,breech-plugs
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabot, its hard to tell in the pic but do the vent liners accept the 209 primer? That may be something to look into when my BP gets eroded.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sabot, its hard to tell in the pic but do the vent liners accept the 209 primer? That may be something to look into when my BP gets eroded.
Yes, they do this is a bare primer breech plug. I am hoping they get the physical description up on the web site SOON!
Old 07-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bronco, email Lehigh and ask when the description of this new plug might be available... that will get one up in a hurry!

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index....ormation_id=12
Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Bronco, email Lehigh and ask when the description of this new plug might be available... that will get one up in a hurry!

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index....ormation_id=12
Done.....lets see what happens.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Done.....lets see what happens.
Thank you! - you should get an automated response and tomorrow and actual contact - wait the impending Holiday may mess that up!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Isn't that the same modification Ron has been doing for several years? I have a couple an use them, much easier to clean an shoot Black Horn just fine!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
Isn't that the same modification Ron has been doing for several years? I have a couple an use them, much easier to clean an shoot Black Horn just fine!
I am not sure that it is what Ron is doing when he modifies a plug. I am sure but not positive (yet) this plug represents what Western Powders wanted designed several years ago. As I understand it Lehigh has had this plug tested at Western Powders for all the important factors.

I did just answer a somewhat similar question on a different web site. I will paste it here also. I am really hoping that Lehigh gets a description up soon on their web site. But, since this week is a Holiday week I am worried it will not be addressed until next week.

Originally Posted by cornfedkiller, post: 1263100, member: 11275
So if I already have the BH209 breech plug for my Accura, this isn't something I need (want)?
This is a replacement plug for a factory (CVA) breech plug. If you have already purchased an aftermarket plug for shooting BH-209 - you are kinda good to go.

With out the description, which should be coming on the Web Site soon, I can only speculate this plug is made from 17-4 Stainless Steel which is a much harder, longer wearing steel, than 416 stainless - IF that is what CVA is using.

And additional feature is the replaceable vent liner. So theoretically you would never have a need to replace the whole breech plug - just the vent liner as the flash hole erodes from being shot.

This is a pic of the new style Lehigh Vent Liner. These new Vent Liners are made of 17-4 and heat treated for an extended life. These vent liners were originally built to be replacement vent liners for Savage smokeless ML's. The new vent liners are now suppose to be even more durable than the original liners and far more durable than the 416 vent liners contracted by Knight.

I am using one of the new ones in my Knight Super DISC, but only have 114 shots through it. The flash hole still measures 0.031 - doesn't seem to be any movement at all. I am shooting 120 grs. of BH (volume) and a 260 grain 45x260 grain bullet.

So... back to your original question - if you have a BH plug and it doing it's job - you probably do not need one of these plugs at this time. But somewhere in the future as your 'flash hole' erodes out it could be a consideration.

I probably should mention that the plug has been tested by Western Powders at their facility.

When the description gets posted I am sure you will see some differences between factory plugs and the Lehigh.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
Ive been testing this plug for awhile now. Im still not happy with the results and hoping changes will be made soon.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

What’s not to like about the plug other than it’s for a CVA? If a person likes CVA it seems like a great thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.