Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered >

New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered

Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Knight Mountaineer .45 1:20 Ordered

I figured this deserved it’s own thread, After Shooting my Sidelock Scoped up again this morning, i struggled with it due to Eye Relief, I stil shot it well, No complaints there. But I know i can do better with a More Comfortable Rifle/Scope setup, I knew when i got home and Cleaned the Ole Sidelock Rifle that it was time to remove the Scope Mount permanently and Re Install my Lyman 57SML Peep Back on the Rifle. Then I decided it was time to make the Plunge and Order a Brand New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist I went with Stainless Steel, With the Forest Green Thumb Hole Stock, Bare Primer.

Through a close friend, I have a chance at a REALLY nice Scope at a more reasonable price than usual, It is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22×50, I need to go see him Tomorrow
My next search was for a SOLID Scope Base, For me personally a Scope Base and Rings need to be Steel, No exceptions here!! I don’t like Aluminum at all! I also really like a 1 Piece Base, In my search i came across this Murphy’s Precision 1 Piece for the Knight Mountaineer (Thanks GM54-120, and Squeeze) I REALLY liked the looks of this Scope Base, I went 20 MOA, and decided to Go with the Stainless Steel instead of Titanium, Since this Rifle will primarily be a Bench/Target Gun the Extra Weight of Steel is a Welcoming thing, The Titanium is quite a bit lighter, and 65 bucks more. It wasn’t the price, At this point price doesn’t really matter, i guess

I even have a Brand New Jug of BH209 that I didn’t think I would ever use? I am excited to get everything and put it together!!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-26-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

This is the Murphy’s precision Stainless Scope Base i ordered in 20 MOA, (Forgive me Squeeze, i Stole your Pics!) I might end up having another 1 of these Bases made in a 30-40 MOA? Will see after i play around with the 20 (Murphy’s Precision is now in Idaho )

Nice Clean Looking Scope Base! I will be using Leupold Mark 4 Steel Rings

Old 06-27-2019, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same Mountaineer in the same color. You may need to do a fix on the bare primer ., at least I had a problem with the bare primer setup . Sucks dealing with Stuck primers when all you want to do is shoot. Hopefully you don’t have that issue but it’s a possibility.
You will definitely like the Mountaineer. I think you will find 500 yard accuracy is not a problem.
Post some pics when you get a chance
Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I have the same Mountaineer in the same color. You may need to do a fix on the bare primer ., at least I had a problem with the bare primer setup . Sucks dealing with Stuck primers when all you want to do is shoot. Hopefully you don’t have that issue but it’s a possibility.
You will definitely like the Mountaineer. I think you will find 500 yard accuracy is not a problem.
Post some pics when you get a chance
In my digging, i read of a few others having issues with Stuck Primers with the Bare Primer setup, I wonder if I should Change to the FPJ System like your U Lite? That setup worked Flawlessly! I’m sure I could contact knight before my Rifle Ships and Change it? When i spoke with them Recently, Justin at Knight Advised the Bare Primer Setup? What to do??
Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 54bore

In my digging, i read of a few others having issues with Stuck Primers with the Bare Primer setup, I wonder if I should Change to the FPJ System like your U Lite? That setup worked Flawlessly! I’m sure I could contact knight before my Rifle Ships and Change it? When i spoke with them Recently, Justin at Knight Advised the Bare Primer Setup? What to do??
Send it to Bestill and have it fixed properly. Best money you'll ever spend, it'll never leak and you won't replace anything other than spent primers.

As for a 30 or 40MOA mount...……… I have a Leupold Mark4 15moa mount on my rifle and Mark4 rings, along with the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and have way more adjustment than I'll ever need, even with this new custom .45cal rifle. The scope has a E of 100moa and W of 60moa. Excellent scope and bullet proof.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Send it to Bestill and have it fixed properly. Best money you'll ever spend, it'll never leak and you won't replace anything other than spent primers.

As for a 30 or 40MOA mount...……… I have a Leupold Mark4 15moa mount on my rifle and Mark4 rings, along with the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and have way more adjustment than I'll ever need, even with this new custom .45cal rifle. The scope has a E of 100moa and W of 60moa. Excellent scope and bullet proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bZZTa8M5wI
How far are you able to get out with your Setup? I want 850 Yards for sure, 1,000 Capable would be SWEET! My reason for the Extra Base
Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Been many a year but if my memory serves me correctly using 100 gr of Black and a velocity of around 1325 FPS with heavy lead such as the 530 gr my Gibbs needed 130 minutes of elevation at 1000 yards.

If you are using Blackhorn and going to a sabotless Bullet like the 270 emax I would imagine around 75 MOA
Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Been many a year but if my memory serves me correctly using 100 gr of Black and a velocity of around 1325 FPS with heavy lead such as the 530 gr my Gibbs needed 130 minutes of elevation at 1000 yards.

1874SS, Right in this Ballpark is where I’ll Be My 500 Grain Paper Patch, or 530 BACO Elliptical GG, I have a Few Candidates
Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 54bore

How far are you able to get out with your Setup? I want 850 Yards for sure, 1,000 Capable would be SWEET! My reason for the Extra Base
Using the production maximum charge of BH and a 300gr Pittman Accumax, it would need 51moa at 800yds. I see the reason you want to go 40moa.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Using the production maximum charge of BH and a 300gr Pittman Accumax, it would need 51moa at 800yds. I see the reason you want to go 40moa.
It would strictly be for playing around with Really Long Range Target, Definitely not Practical, But fun to do!! The 20 MOA Murphy’s Precision Base Above will be what lives on the Rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.