Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300+ Yards, Lehigh Tipped .458X260 >

300+ Yards, Lehigh Tipped .458X260

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300+ Yards, Lehigh Tipped .458X260

Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default 300+ Yards, Lehigh Tipped .458X260

I finally got the chance to Swing at a longer Range with these Lehigh “Tipped” .458X260 Bullets, These things Shoot REALLY Well! My Rifle was my Hawken/Rice 1:20 Twist Barrel, Powder charge was 80 Grains by weight of Swiss 2F, This Target is Close to 350 Yards (like 330), I will Range it again soon as i get back out there. I had planned to shoot on the opposite Ridge But it was Breezy over there At Daylight this morning, So i drove around this Side and it was Calm, Really nice actually! I have been out 3 Different Times in the last week to do this, the Darn Weather Just wouldn’t cooperate! Fogged in, or Windy. This morning looked good, so it was ON!

Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I recovered 1 of the 2 Gong Hit Bullets, the Bullet was “Bull Dogged” Good From Hitting Square on Steel.

Couple of Pics

Same bullet as above, This was the Target i first Shot with these at 100 Yards.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

My View, The Target is at the Base of the Big Dead Bull Pine in the Center, Just Above my Range Rod

Cropped from photo above, This Big Bull Pine has been dead for a Few years, It is a Lightning Struck tree, I remember when it happened

Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis, this is really some good information. Especially considering that I/we just did this on a whim that I had, combining some left over tips with a current hunting bullet offered by Lehigh.

Thank you for taking the time to do the shooting.

Shooting the 8" gong is really impressive considering the limitations of the sighting equipment you are using. It really made me smile when you wiggled that gong with both shots!

I also got some good/bad news from the State this morning - I did not draw the controlled elk hunt that I wanted this season but I did draw and extra deer tag! Bad news - I really wanted the elk hunt - Good news now I can hunt all deer season with a 45 Super DISC shooting these 458x260 bullets. I will size them to .4535 for my Super DISC.

Speaking of sizing - what did you size them to - to fit you Rice barrel. You seem to hit the sizing perfectly for your rifle.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is really a good shooting rifle and some good shooting on your part. But, and I don't mean this as an insult to you or the rifle, but seeing a modern scope on a sidelock just doesn't look right to me. Now a nice long brass tubed scope I could probably handle. But if you can shoot it like that, it is a great hunting rig.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That is really a good shooting rifle and some good shooting on your part. But, and I don't mean this as an insult to you or the rifle, but seeing a modern scope on a sidelock just doesn't look right to me. Now a nice long brass tubed scope I could probably handle. But if you can shoot it like that, it is a great hunting rig.
I FULLY agree on the Scope, They look RIDICULOUS on a Sidelock! And in all honesty it doesn’t function well either, The Scope Has to be set Way Far Forward to Clear the Hammer, Therefore you would need an Extended eye relief Scope in order to Do this Comfortable, at least i would. So i was REALLY uncomfortable trying to Snub way up on the Rifle to get a Clear sight picture. When i got home it all came off and my Peep sight setup went back on. The next time i Shoot a Scope it will be on a Brand New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, I have 1 in a Shopping Cart Right Now, i just need to give some Credit Card numbers and Hit Submit
Old 06-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Lewis, this is really some good information. Especially considering that I/we just did this on a whim that I had, combining some left over tips with a current hunting bullet offered by Lehigh.

Thank you for taking the time to do the shooting.

Shooting the 8" gong is really impressive considering the limitations of the sighting equipment you are using. It really made me smile when you wiggled that gong with both shots!

I also got some good/bad news from the State this morning - I did not draw the controlled elk hunt that I wanted this season but I did draw and extra deer tag! Bad news - I really wanted the elk hunt - Good news now I can hunt all deer season with a 45 Super DISC shooting these 458x260 bullets. I will size them to .4535 for my Super DISC.

Speaking of sizing - what did you size them to - to fit you Rice barrel. You seem to hit the sizing perfectly for your rifle.
Mike, That’s a Bummer on the Elk! I drew the Xtra Deer Tag as Well!! I figure i will get 1 on Camera with 1 of my Muzzleloaders.
For what i was working with, i am happy with everything today. This Scope on this Sidelock is REALLY HARD to Shoot, It’s a GREAT scope, But it’s not Meant to be 10-12” from your Eye! A person would need an Extended Eye Relief Scope if he Planned to Shoot a Scoped Sidelock Much, Or an Offset Base to Clear the Hammer. This was REALLY uncomfortable for me, i had to Snub WAY up on the Gun in order to see through the Scope, If i turned the power up above 4 power it was WAY worse, So i was forced to Run 4 power. My next go around with a Scoped Muzzleloader will be on a Brand New Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist I know i will enjoy the Mountaineer, And will be able to Do some AWESOME stuff with it!!

This Rice Bore is TIGHT, I am Pushing these Through my .449 (Same as The Body of this Lehigh Bullet) If the Body of this Bullet was .449.5 I would have a REALLY Hard time getting them down this Barrel, I wouldn’t want to do it!! At .449 They load Nice, Just a nice steady Push to the Powder, maybe 3-4 pounds resistance? There very close abouts
Old 06-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

54 you can always get one of these. Then at least it won't look so silly! https://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/
Old 06-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
54 you can always get one of these. Then at least it won't look so silly! https://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/

No need anymore, I just hit the Submit button on the New Knight Mountaineer 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Now the Wait, I am REALLY excited about this New Mountaineer, After Shooting Chet’s New U Lite a Month or so ago i knew i had to have one! No doubt I will enjoy it