Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru >

Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru

Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru

Most guy’s that are really serious with these Type of bullets are likely using an Adjustable Sizing die such as the Swinglock, and Hankins, The Adjustable Sizers would be REALLY nice, But also expensive. Fact is you can size these Copper/Copper Jacketed bullets with a Cheap Lee Push Through, The same sizer you are using for Lead. Sizing these Copper, Copper jacketed bullets is just as easy as sizing Lead,

This Lehigh .458X260 is REALLY simple to Size! You are only Sizing the “Barbs” in the middle of the Body (Red arrow pointing to), The “Barbs” measure .457-.458, The bullet Body (above, and below the “Barbs” is .449) This is a unique design in which I REALLY like, With the Bullet Body being .449 This bullet will fit about ANY .45 Bore out there

If using a Lee Push Through sizer you really need a Slightly smaller Push Rod so that it will fit inside the Powder Cup (Hollow Base) Lets say you have a .451 Sizer, The Push Rod that came with it will be a few Thou under that (about .448-449) If you try and Use this Push Rod it will sit on the Powder Cup Rim, DON’T Push like that, You are risking damaging the Powder Cup Rim, You want that Powder Cup Rim (Bullet Base) perfect, as that is what Steers the Bullet. Use a slightly Smaller Push Rod that will fit inside the Powder Cup. 1 other thing that i do, Especially with lead Bullets, is the use of Lube, Roll the Bullets across a Lube pad, I have sized these Copper/Copper Jacketed with, and without Lube, I feel the Lube helps.

Here are a few pics to give you an idea of what i just talked about above, This is simple to do guy’s!!

Attached Thumbnails Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru-188db876-e3e2-4bf8-bdb9-ca6f6c7efb4f.jpeg   Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru-d1930e8c-a9da-4c84-a9bc-e4c50c76479a.jpeg   Sizing the Lehigh .458X260 With Lee Push Thru-ae72ebee-039b-46d7-b242-32f229390e63.jpeg  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

The above is more geared toward the guy’s that already have a few Lee Push thru sizers on hand, and Don’t want to Spend the Money on an Adjustable Sizer such as the Swinglock, or Hankins.

Note of advise, Before buying a Bunch of Lee Push thru sizers, especially the Custom made Sizers by Lee, i would Ante Up and buy a Swinglock!! Before you know it you can get BURIED in Sizers, and the Custom Lee’s are about 50 Bucks a piece Shipped. I have a BUNCH of them, I would have been MUCH better off Buying a Swinglock, and WAY cheaper in the end. The ability to size in tiny increments such as you can with a Swinglock would be AWESOME with these Copper/Jacketed Bullets, .001 (half of .001) Makes a HUGE difference in loading Jacketed Type bullets. Correct Size is MUCH more Critical with these type of Bullets

Old 06-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lewis, basically I went the same route for this re-sizing operation. I knew I wasn't going to resize the body of the bullet, only the Drive Bands or Barbs, so I chose to go the less expensive method of resizing. The simple Lee resizing dies would and do work for me really well. To help with the operation I also acquired a less expensive Lee press. This press has a quick release for the dies, so it is only a matter of pushing a button, a short twist and they pop right out. You then insert the assembly the same way.

As Lewis indicated, I had the push rod machined so the rod inserted into the powder cup on the bullet and pushed on the base of the bullet. No pressure is applied to the walls of the powder cup.

Then you just set the bullet to be resized on the post and push it up through the re-sizing die.

The hollow point sabotless .458x260CF is a great hunting bullet with outstanding 'Terminal Performance' . The tipped bullet will not perform as well as a hunting bullet but should be an excellent target/gong shooting bullet

Old 06-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Good stuff there Mike!! Nothing wrong with a Lee Press, and they don’t Cost a fortune to own one

Totally off Topic here: How are you getting your pictures to ad in your post like that? Mine end up as attached thumbnails? I need to learn this Darn Forum Layout. I want to ad pics throughout my post as you did above, explaining etc. instead of them ending up at the bottom as a Thumbnail. Thank you in advance!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-22-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Upload to imgbb. Com

Then use the BBCode full link option and copy and paste it directly into your post
​​​​​​
​​​
Old 06-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Testing again

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-22-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Testing

https://i.postimg.cc/QCGfH7sv/3600-C...EC9-EF27-B.jpg" />
You forgot the / (back slash) in the last [/img]
Old 06-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

You're using the wrong code. For postimg use the "hotlink for forum code"

Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you got it now 54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.