HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shooting a Western DISC (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/421107-shooting-western-disc.html)

sabotloader 06-10-2019 10:27 AM

Shooting a Western DISC

Had a little time this morning so I made a run for the farm. When I got to the farm the temp was 55 and warming quickly. When I left it was already 70 and getting hotter quickly!

I had made basically this same shoot a day or two ago but I made a change in the rifle I wanted to see if it made a difference for me.
Friday - I discovered a couple of things... with open sights and shooting Orange Clay Pigeons - I had a couple problems! At 100 yards the birds are much smaller than when shooting with a scope and the bigger problem it was really hard to see the location of the Red front sight on the Orange bird. I decided after the Friday shoot I would change the Red Fiber Optic to Green.

So I went from this:

To this

Today - this morning, and for myself, this made a huge difference in my sight picture. There was a definite difference between the sight and the target. It didn't do a darn thing for the size of the bird @ 100 yards but I really could see where the front sight was on the bottom of the bird.

Collection of pics of this mornings shoot...

And basically the same work area as last week

Idaholewis 06-10-2019 10:07 PM

Looks like fun Mike! Sometimes it is hard to tell by Pics what we mean, are trying to Show? But i can see this one CLEARLY! That Green Fiber Optic Bead REALLY Stands out! Good job with the pics Showing it :cool2:

sabotloader 06-11-2019 08:06 AM

I am sure it is not the same for everyone, but it really seems to work for me. And, you know - if the mind thinks it! - it must be true!

NOW! I just need to convince my mind the those birds are the size of an elk! Then they would be easy to shoot!

Idaholewis 06-12-2019 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4356944)
NOW! I just need to convince my mind the those birds are the size of an elk! Then they would be easy to shoot!

This is a Real/Genuine Struggle for ALL of us Mike!

I wish i had my Dad’s Eye sight, He and i were Hunting together a Month or so ago, He spotted a Turkey down in a Field, or at least he was pretty sure that’s what it was? I could not begin to see it with my Naked eye? And i was Struggling trying to, But it was just a Far distant Field to me, I picked my Binoculars up and looked, SURE Enough it was a BIG Tom Turkey all “Strutted” up walking circles (like they do) It completely AMAZED me that my Dad could see that Turkey? Even after i spotted it with 10X Binoculars i stil could NOT see it with my naked eye? I got my Leica 1600 Rangefinder out, That Turkey was 1,450 Yards!! BELIEVE THAT! I actually stopped and got out of truck to show this Situation to Chet when he was out on his Bear Hunt. Moral of the Story, Some people can see WAY BETTER than others, My 70 some year old Dad can see FAR better than myself, There is simply No Comparison in our Vision!! I told Dad that it was a Shame he didn’t get in to BPCR Long Range, He was Gifted with eyes for it! And my Dad can Shoot, He is who I learned from.

edmehlig 06-12-2019 03:47 AM

I personally love the Green Fiber Optic bead over the Red. From my Bow Hunting days, the Green Fiber Optic pin is the first you'll be able to see in the morning and the last to disappear at dusk.

Idaholewis 06-12-2019 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had to show this Pic of where my Dad could see the “Strutted” Turkey with his Naked eye at 1,450 Yards, This stil AMAZES me! I sure wish my vision was this Good, but it’s not even Close

This is exactly where we were in my Truck when he spotted it, I drew a Redline to where the Turkey was at, again the Gobbler was 1,450 Yards here with my Leica Rangefinder