Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A little range time today >

A little range time today

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A little range time today

Old 05-26-2019, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

54Bore - Thanks for that info. And that sounds like a reasonable explanation to why the mixed accuracy. Maybe in this case it was because my bullet bases were wiped clean on a flat cloth soaked with mineral spirits AND they were loaded and shot immediately. Also two other things likely helped in immediate release of the wad. The tight bullet and moderate temperature. I could probably test this myself similar to what you did. Not having a punch for the paper I can insert the veggie wad then lay a strip of newspaper across the muzzle and start the bullet. The edges of the bullet should cut the paper cleanly.
Now I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem with my .45-70 cartridges loaded with the same bullet and a veggie was under the base of the bullet! I just may be ordering these poly wads.
One question though. If I go with the felt wads do you use them dry or lubed? If dry is there and chance of them catching the woods on fire? I sure wouldn't want to shoot a deer and start a forest fire in the process!!!!

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-26-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Those poly wads look good. I'm not sure if I need a wad at all but shooting a full bore conical with lube IMO they would protect the powder from contamination should the lube become liquid in the heat or a warm barrel. They would definitely be needed with the. .451" and .452" bullets I was shooting earlier. But these .454" ones are much tighter. The reason I went that size is my bore slug at .457"! Pretty big for a .45 cal muzzy. And I checked the slug diameter with a dial caliper and a micrometer and got the same reading.
This is a GM .45 LRH Barrel? I have never heard of 1 with a Bore that Large? (Seems like we did talk about This once?) Sizing to .454 they Would Stil fall down a .457 Bore and Bounce off the Powder, a Bullet of .458, .459 Would be needed to Hold Good in a .457 Bore
Old 05-26-2019, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
54Bore - Thanks for that info. And that sounds like a reasonable explanation to why the mixed accuracy. Maybe in this case it was because my bullet bases were wiped clean on a flat cloth soaked with mineral spirits AND they were loaded and shot immediately. Also two other things likely helped in immediate release of the wad. The tight bullet and moderate temperature.
Now I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem with my .45-70 cartridges loaded with the same bullet and a veggie was under the base of the bullet! I just may be ordering these poly wads.
One question though. If I go with the felt wads do you use them dry or lubed? If dry is there and chance of them catching the woods on fire? I sure wouldn't want to shoot a deer and start a forest fire in the process!!!!
Bronko, The Wool Wads i get say Lubed, But whatever they use, it is sure a tiny amount, i have Squeezed them MANY times and i cannot get anything from them? They claim they are Lubed with Wonderlube 1000 Plus or something like that? Again, it is sure light stuff, I have hunted for a Week at a Time before Discharging my Rifle, Never a Problem. If it weren’t for the package saying Lubed, I would SWEAR they were Dry!

If you would like to try these LDPE Poly Wads, i make them from a Cornell Press Mounted Wad Punch, I would Gladly send you some to try. I have a TON of Bulk .060 LDPE Material. I need to get back out with these Poly Wads Myself
Old 05-26-2019, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

I am thinking you must be talking Groove Diameter and Not Bore? Groove Diameter should be Right in that .457-.458 Range
Old 05-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
I am thinking you must be talking Groove Diameter and Not Bore? Groove Diameter should be Right in that .457-.458 Range
Yes it is the groove diameter. When I slugged the bore I measured the high points on the slug (which would be the groove diameter) and it was .457". Using a .454" diameter bullet made of pure lead I can start the bullet with thumb about 1/3 the way then a short starter is required to get it down the bore about 5-6". Usually a good solid rap does it. Then a nice firm even push on the ramrod sets it atop the powder. Very similar to loading a snug bullet/sabot combo.