Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting Blk. Dia. >

Shooting Blk. Dia.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Blk. Dia.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting Blk. Dia.

Did not have alot of time, but did shoot 5 times. I shot 3 PRB's at 25 yds with scope on 3x on sand bags. Group was 2" at 60 gr of 3F Goex. I got out 3 GP conicals 385 gr same 60 gr at 25 yds. I shot twice because one hit a touch high of my dot. The 2nd hit 8" left of the 1st shot. With a 2 shot group that wide at 25 yds its not worth my time nor powder to shoot the 3rd shot. So now i can bump the powder charge up to 65 gr n give it a try with the 385 gr Gp's. They are short in length n the 1:28 maybe abit too fast for them. I have 14 more to see if the group will show promise.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

The long QLA is known to have issues with conicals. When they are turned off center to the bore its even worse.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can we say nut pulling the trigger ? Yeah i have a set of scope rings that allow a person to quick release. I did not have those very tight maybe abit loose from my last cleaning yrs ago. Found it out when i cleaned my T/C. Brain cells having short circuits. So when i try it the next time i will have the scope rings tight
Old 04-07-2019, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Did not have alot of time, but did shoot 5 times. I shot 3 PRB's at 25 yds with scope on 3x on sand bags. Group was 2" at 60 gr of 3F Goex. I got out 3 GP conicals 385 gr same 60 gr at 25 yds. I shot twice because one hit a touch high of my dot. The 2nd hit 8" left of the 1st shot. With a 2 shot group that wide at 25 yds its not worth my time nor powder to shoot the 3rd shot. So now i can bump the powder charge up to 65 gr n give it a try with the 385 gr Gp's. They are short in length n the 1:28 maybe abit too fast for them. I have 14 more to see if the group will show promise.
With a 1-28 bore I am surprised you got the PRB's to shoot decently even at 25 yards. The 385 coniclas should shoot very well from a 1-28 but... the QLA on the barrel my be causing you some of the problems.

This picture attempts to explain part of the problem when shooting a full bore conical from a TC barrel

Do you have any sabots and bullet you could load into your rifle?

And as in your last post - tightening the scope down could also help.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
With a 1-28 bore I am surprised you got the PRB's to shoot decently even at 25 yards. The 385 coniclas should shoot very well from a 1-28 but... the QLA on the barrel my be causing you some of the problems.

This picture attempts to explain part of the problem when shooting a full bore conical from a TC barrel

Do you have any sabots and bullet you could load into your rifle?

And as in your last post - tightening the scope down could also help.
Yes i do have some 250 n 300 gr xtp's i can load up n try. Plus some .429 with gn sabot. I had a learning curve back yrs ago on them
Old 04-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
Yes i do have some 250 n 300 gr xtp's i can load up n try. Plus some .429 with gn sabot. I had a learning curve back yrs ago on them
I would suggest you shoot them first to see if you can get a good group and if you do then test your conicals
Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That will work, i will put the scope on it cinched up tight. I put my open sights back on it, being older n crusty my eye sight see the front bead abit fuzzy
Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

smokepolehall
There is a way to use TC barrels to shoot lead bullets. As far as I know there was only one batch that was off center bur when the gas pushing the bullet goes around it at the end of the barrel it throws the bullet off center. The easy way to defeat that is to load the powder then put a wad at the base of the qla and fill the qla with cornmeal or similar to take up the space put on an other wad then the bullet..
Old 04-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
smokepolehall
There is a way to use TC barrels to shoot lead bullets. As far as I know there was only one batch that was off center bur when the gas pushing the bullet goes around it at the end of the barrel it throws the bullet off center. The easy way to defeat that is to load the powder then put a wad at the base of the qla and fill the qla with cornmeal or similar to take up the space put on an other wad then the bullet..
Now that would be a real PITA! If it were mine and the QLA was giving me accuracy issues I'd just cut it off. I believe Semisane had a nice tutorial on how to do this yourself.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

The old man cut his off of that pro hunter barrel and put a recessed 11 degree crown in it. That barrel will shoot just about anything you can stuff down it including PRB's. He really loved shooting the big nasty conical bullets out of that thing. I would fix those ring issues first and see if the fixes you up but I would also look into getting it cut and crowned getting rid of that stupid QLA crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.