Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you think? >

What do you think?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default What do you think?

I've heard it said that a bear is a close relative to the pig. And we all know that rendered bear fat makes both good patch lube and also good cooking oil. Now has anyone ever rendered pig fat for the same purpose(s)? It is definitely a lot easier to obtain.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I think I found my answer. Rendered pig fat is nothing more than lard. Mix lard with a small bit of beeswax and it should produce a good lube.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just rendered lard last week. Works pretty good actually but I been using ballistol/ water for years now so don’t much use it for patches anymore
Attached Thumbnails What do you think?-454ef3ea-3cf6-4c48-94b2-fa96372989b5.jpeg  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Just rendered lard last week. Works pretty good actually but I been using ballistol/ water for years now so don’t much use it for patches anymore
What ratio of Ballistol:water do you use and how is that working for you? Do you keep them damp or let them dry out before use?
I was just wondering about the lard. Something to fall back on or to do to kill some time..
Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

I use a ratio of 7:1. 7 parts water 1 part ballistol. Then let them dry . Works good for me . I get the smallest groups ever compared to anything else I’ve tried .
Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I go just a tick heavier than sharpshooter with 6:1 ratio in my .50's and 6.5:1 in my .45's. My .45's seem to like it a touch lighter for some reason. As far as hog grease, I've tried it years back when pop and I were thinking about SHTF scenarios and such. It worked and pretty well for the most part but it's not a lube I would want to use in really cold weather but it would be pretty much okay in the lower states. That's pretty much any natural lube mix in my experience though but I hunt some pretty extreme temps sometimes where most stay by the fire. Honestly, after passing 50, my big old rear is tending to cozy up to the fire myself.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=hunters_life;4352352} Honestly, after passing 50, my big old rear is tending to cozy up to the fire myself.[/QUOTE]

Wait until you hit 65+. After over 50 years of hunting and shooting tons of critters I've come to the point that, although I still really love hunting, it is enough to just go for a walk in the woods and enjoy it. Seeing my quarry is a plus. And I've been known to let quite a few just walk on by! I'll still shoot a nice buck if I see one. But a bear is going to have to be a decent size for me to send some lead his way! Its a real trophy here in PA. But I shot 4 already and they are a real PITA. You HAVE to get it mounted some way. I do like bear meat (the way I make it) and the burger is great in chili.
But I'd just as soon sit at the cabin and enjoy the silence as I would climbing those mountains carrying my .58 Rene or my Marlin Guide Gun.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I use a ratio of 7:1. 7 parts water 1 part ballistol. Then let them dry . Works good for me . I get the smallest groups ever compared to anything else I’ve tried .

I'll be giving that a try when I get back up north and start shooting again. Right now I'm keeping my bones warm and cozy in sunny FL. But its supposed to rain today so it looks like a good day for casting some bullets.