Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
game loads in a rifled barrel >

game loads in a rifled barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

game loads in a rifled barrel

Old 12-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default game loads in a rifled barrel

does anyone know the specifics to loading a "shot" for small game in a rifled barrel? as far as size, weight, procedure, load? I have 2 muzzleloaders. both 50 cal., buth rifled. 1 is a flint lock, and 1 is an inline. I would like to hunt small game. I live in pa
Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I've wondered this as well.

Is there a way to do it with a cva wolf inline?

Someone here will know the answer. There's allot of knowledgeable black powder guys here. I'm guessing it's a no, because I've not heard of people doing it. But would like to hear from some of the experienced guys here

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 12-15-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:55 AM
Spike

since im on this topic, does it hurt to shoot patched ball from an inline? i know the rifling is different but didnt think it would matter
Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last question first: shooting a PRB is no problem but in a faster twist like a 1=28 you have to us light loads like about 60 grains in a 50 caliber.
Shot loads: in a 45 I have used 410 plastic shot cup wads in a 54 caliber I have use 28 gage plastic shot cups wads
I have not done this in a 50 so you will have to find out what will fit, I suggest using shot cup wads as shot bouncing off the riflings can lead the barrel and will not pattern near as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:35 AM
Spike

thank you so very much. i dont believe it is legal to use a .50 for small game in PA tho. so i may be on the hunt for a ML shotgun or a .40
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct .For some reason PA requires .40 and less for small game.

-Jake
Old 12-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Spike

the hunt begins then, pre ML i used a .22 LR but never cared much for a scattergun. any suggestions on a set up
Old 12-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting a shot charge out of a rifled barrel will give you very erratic patterns and just about worthless at any distance.
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...hotgun-barrel/
Old 12-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

As far as legality, with shot you can use a .50 on small game in PA but if using a single projectile, ball or bullet, a .40 or less is required in small game. As far as using shot in a rifled barrel, you will find Bronko is correct. Even using a shot cup will produce horrible patterning. Actually, using a shot cup will make it worse than using over and under cards. Even my 1:60 twist barrel produces horrible shot patterns after 20 feet. They just spray open incredibly fast because of the spin.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

The easiest way to muzzle load with shot is to purchase an inexpensive 209 muzzle loader adapter from https://www.gunadapters.com/209-muzz...ding-adapters/
It can convert a modern single shot break open shotgun into a muzzle loading shotgun, and they are said to work well.
Be sure to watch the instructional video on the company website [or youtube] to learn how to properly use it.
I've heard that some of the shot drops down into the chamber designed to hold the modern shell, but that doesn't noticeably affect performance.

Someone also recently posted how they experimented with homemade shot cups to make shot loads with limited effectiveness for a slow twist .50 rifle.
Of course every gun and twist is different which would require experimentation..
But it's important to note that a gun without a choked barrel is like any cylinder bore which isn't conducive to good shot patterns to begin with.
Then the rifling only adds to spreading the shot even more,
Even experiments with a 20 gauge/.62 caliber smoothbore that has an open or cylinder choke have shown that it can require up to 2 ozs. of shot to pattern well at 35 yards with 100 grains of powder.
That means that a heavier than normal shot load is required to produce an effective shot pattern when the barrel doesn't have any choke constriction.

Both posts below were written by the same person and provide slightly different details about shot cup construction.

How to make homemade shot cups for a rifled barrel - see post #23: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?373113-Firing-lead-shot-from-rifled-barrel&p=4530417#post4530417

And post #14: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...me#post4530400

Last edited by arcticap; 12-23-2018 at 04:09 PM.