Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK Uncle

Old 12-08-2018, 05:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default OK Uncle

I have a CVA Optima.
How do I increase the poundage for the trigger pull.
It's way to light for me.
GUNSMITH?
JW
Old 12-09-2018, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

I would speak with CVA and have them perform any necessary work in order to not void your warranty.

One new CVA sidelock rifle that I bought had a trigger pull that felt like it was 20 lbs., so heavy that my finger hurt after repeated firing.

I sent it to them and they lightened the trigger pull to at least make it acceptable and not void the warranty,

Shipping it to CVA would be less expensive than paying a gunsmith to obtain any parts needed and then do to the work [if they would even sell him the parts].

And I didn't see anything mentioned in the Optima owner's manual about that model having an adjustable trigger.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-11-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its my understanding that it is not a super simply task like on rifles with adjustable triggers. The CVA Accura line has adjustable triggers. The Optima probably needs stiffer spring installed "somewhere" to tighten it up a bit. I would call CVA. Tell them it seems too light to be safe and see how it goes. Their customer service is supposed to be pretty good. I would imagine its a fairly easy job for a smith also but.........
Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spray a little salt water into the trigger group. A little rust will make it stiffer. (See, you can always get good advice on the Internet.)

Last edited by Semisane; 12-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree send it back to CVA, if you do not know what you are doing you can make a gun dangerous. Unless the trigger has factory adjustments, I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Or

Originally Posted by Semisane
Spray a little salt water into the trigger group. A little rust will make it stiffer. (See, you can always get good advice on the Internet.)
try a little super glue at key parts or pivot points. ..no wait crush up some pyrodex pellets. Make your own crud ring!
Smear it on.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

But Thanks.
I'm certainly not fooling with this.
and never thought to call CVA.
Will report back.
JW
Old 12-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

My son's Accura V2 is like that, very light trigger even when adjusted to it's heaviest pull, about 1.5 lbs. I emailed CVA about it and was ready to send it in then I didn't. I like a light trigger and so does my son, it passed all my functionality tests so we decided to keep it as is. I removed the buttstock and looked at all the internal trigger parts and all looked good. Any idea what your pull weight is?