Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA WOLF opinions and load recommendations? >

CVA WOLF opinions and load recommendations?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA WOLF opinions and load recommendations?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Pyrodex is worse than Triple7 in terms of corrosion. Really bad actually.
Originally Posted by Semisane
Yep. You can get away with not cleaning a gun until the day after a shoot with Triple Seven. Perhaps more depending on location and humidity. Not so with Pyrodex.
That don't matter to me because I clean my guns as soon as I get home. If I can't do a thorough cleaning immediately I at least swab the bore with Barristol or other BP solvent.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

another good muzzleloader is a t/c impact. it has a removable 1" spacer on it & could make the gun a better fit . they run around 200 dollars & there are set up's with scopes for around 275. i myself use blackhorn 209. i've used it all but like the bh209 the best. but to each there own. some people like chevies & other's like ford's but you will find once you get started with muzzy hunting you will want to leave the centerfires @ home . but whatever you get good luck& welcome to the muzzleloader forum section.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I am not one to give a whole lot of advise on here as there as so many more knowledgeable BP enthusiasts to give advice. However, since I do own a CVA Wolf and it is my only muzzleloader I hunt with, I would like to say that I use 110gr. of Blackhorn 209 under a 250gr. Barnes TEZ bullet. That combo has performed very well in my Wolf and I did purchase the Blackhorn 209 quick removable breech plug as well and highly recommend it. The Barnes bullets are quite expensive but I dont really do a lot of shooting. I sight my gun in every year and use maybe ten rounds so I really do not go through a whole lot of em. Their performance on game is always reliable as long as I do my part and make a good shot. I also have a Leupold VXIII 3X9 mounted on it. This is my favorite gun to shoot and has taken quite a lot of deer and a few nice bucks. One was a nice nine pointer that I shot the second week of BP season and showed on the Deer forum if you want to check it out.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That don't matter to me because I clean my guns as soon as I get home. If I can't do a thorough cleaning immediately I at least swab the bore with Barristol or other BP solvent.
Well my post was in response to Roger saying Triple7 is the worst. Its hardly the worst. Pyrodex is far worse. I would go as far as to say its worse than some real black in terms of corrosion. Ive seen 3 sheets of steel that had all 3 burned on them and left in a garage for several days IIRC. After 4 days in a garage they were cleaned and the plate with Pyrodex had by far the worst pitting. The plate with Triple7 didn't look too bad at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Speer .429 240gr and 270gr softpoints are also worth considering. Cheaper than a XTP and a "bonded" jacket type construction. Really its a plating but a very well done plating.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/17354

These are a bargain at under $13/50 and since they are most likely also intended for 444 Marlin they should be excellent for a upper level ML load too.
Rons test with 80gr of BH209 270g Deep Curl -- 80g Blackhorn

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/17355

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-29-2018 at 08:52 AM.