Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Big Conical Question >

Big Conical Question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Big Conical Question

Old 11-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Spike

Default Big Conical Question

A lot of people on here like big conicals so I'm asking them this question.

Is there any hope of stabilizing big conicals in a 1:66 54 caliber Lyman GPR?

I've been shoot it just for fun with PRB. Doing my hunting with an inline and getting the urge to take the GPR out a few times during Nebraska's month long muzzleloading season. I can stick with the PRB or work up a load for one of the commercially available conicals. I put a Lyman's peep sight on the GPR and even with my 72 year old eyes I'm pretty good to 75 yards.

FYI, Nebraska's season is in December. After the archers have been at it since September 1 and the nine day rifle season in November the herd has been thinned considerably. Its hard to find a dumb one that will walk within 75 yards most of the time. Hence the scoped inline.

So whatca' think?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's unlikely you'll get a conical to shoot well in that 1:66 twist. But what the heck - funny things happen with muzzleloaders. It won't cost much to give it a try. On the other hand, a .530 ball is deadly on whitetails at 75 yards.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think Lyman sells a 54cal 1-32 twist drop in barrel.
Lyman # 6030267
Get the most out of your Great Plains rifle by adding an extra barrel. If you own a Great Plains Rifle, with a Classic 1 in 60" twist you can acquire an optional “Hunter” Barrel (1 in 32") twist to shoot todays modern conical and sabot bullets
Old 11-20-2018, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken a deer with a 54 PRB at 180 yards it is the best caliber for PRB and will shoot good at long range if set up right it is very effective.