Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for Advice >

Looking for Advice

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for Advice

Old 11-03-2003, 07:53 AM

Default Looking for Advice

Hi all...

This is my first post here so please bear with me.. I know my husband posts here all the time so I figured I would try...

This weekend I kidnapped my husband and brought him to Maine for the weekend and we went to Kittery trading post... We walked up to the gun section and he started to drool.... He was really interested in the Black powder guns... but was not sure what to look for... I said something about being an inline... But that was about all I got out of it....

So my question to you.... I want to get him one for Christmas... what should I look for???

Thanks in advance....
Old 11-03-2003, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Looking for Advice

Cupcake,

There are three basic types of muzzleloaders, in-line, percussion, and flint. I tend to put these three into catagories ,in-lne modern, percussion Civil war, and flint Revolutionary war.

There are many different types of manufactures including Traditions, CVA, Thompson, and Knight, as well as others. I would start with where do you live and what kind of muzzleloader he could use, if he wants one for hunting or plinking?

In PA, a flint lock muzzleloader can be used in 3 seasons while an in-line can only be used it 2. My first was a flint and second an in-line with scope.

What types of guns does he have? Does he like wooden stocks or synthetic. I tend to like the synthetics over the wooden but many people like wooden. Knight makes some of the best muzzloaders but they tend to be more expensive. Thompson also has a kit you can make a Hawkins which is a nice gun as well.

Check out Cabelas on line cataloge under blackpowder to see some of thedifferent types of guns as well as the different manufactors. If you see which one he might be interested in, let us know and we can tell you if we like it.

Regards,

Tomster

Old 11-03-2003, 08:25 AM

Cupcake,

I forgot to say welcome and come and visit whenever you can. Maybe you might want one for yourself as well? Muzzleloaders are a lot of fun once you learn how to shoot them.

Tomster
Old 11-03-2003, 04:31 PM

Thank you so much for responding...

We live in NH... and he would be using the gun for hunting.. I guess you can use it earlier than rifle.. For deer... About two years ago I bought him a 308 Rifle.. I don' t know all the details.. but that is the only gun that he has... and I know how much he enjoys it so I figured he has been drooling over the muzzleloader it was time to treat him again....

I have a Cabelas catalog at home and will have to look at it.. But not having shot one myself it was hard to know what to look for....
Old 11-03-2003, 08:06 PM

I should have thought of this, but looks like my wife was way ahead of me..
Hi darlin. Thanks for taking the initiative.
I mainly hunt deer, bow and rifle, and thought I would like to try black powder, as the season opens two weeks before rifle here in NH.
I would like an inline, .50 cal, with scope, and do not usually take a shot over 60 to 80 yards, due to the thickness of the areas that I hunt. I like the looks of the black synthetic stock but other than that, not sure what to get, and as you can see, my wife is kind enough to foot the bill, so I don' t want to make it too hard on her.[8D]

From Cabela' s sight, i liked the CVA, Thompson, or Knight, does anyone have a particular model of these that they prefer, or any they have had problems with??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 11-04-2003, 05:58 AM

Hey Mike,

I have been hunting muzzleloader in PA now for 3 years and love the extra hunting and challange it provides. I took a quick look at NH Game Commission website and noted a few things. Your muzzleloader season is going on now untill the 11th so you will probably miss out on that. You have some time to decide what rifle you want which is always good. Also you can use inlines also another good thing.

I have the CVA Firebolt 209 Ultra Magnum muzzleloader Blue/Fiber Green and I love the gun and it runs about $300 from Cablea' s. I also have a Flint Traditions Deerhunter which I picked up at Gander Mountain with the entire kit and the flints are more involved than the inlines. I have had great success with the CVA inline and shot a nice doe in PA' s early doe season with it. I only tried one load the Powerbelts but I will try this year the 200 TC Shockwave. The only minor issue I have with it is the scope is slightly loose which I will correct. The Knights Disc Extrene is also an excellent gun I have heard here and if you have the cash I would go that route also. CVA also has a another gun on the market, the CVA Optima 209 Magnum and it looks more like a 30-30, and the 209 prier gets loaded
from the back versus the top like mine. I saw them being shot at the range by me and the look pretty neat.

My grandmother has a place in Randolph Vermont not far from White River Junction, how close are you to there??

Tomster

Old 11-04-2003, 08:26 AM

Tomster,

We are about 2 hours from Randolph Vermont we are in the Keene Area.

I know this may sound silly... But are there places that you can shoot the guns before you buy them?

thanks
Old 11-04-2003, 09:30 AM

Cupcake,

I do not know of any places that would allow you to do that. Most places will let you return the gun if you have not shot it.

There is a neat gun shop not far from Randolph in a very small town called Snowsville, VT. It is a General Store/Gun Shop. He has some muzzleloaders but mostly all kinds of rifles. I do not know if he would allow you to do that with the muzzleloaders he has.

I would try finding someone or friend that already has the type of gun Mike is interested in and see if they would allow him to shoot it. Do you have any rifle ranges in your area? I usually see many different types of muzzleloaders at the range just before muzzleloader season.

I would let Mike shoot my CVA but I am 6 - 7 hours out of Randolph, VT in Northeastern PA. I usually go up to Randolph during the summer sometime when my mom is staying there but not sure when that will be in 2004. I was just up there in August ' 03, it' s a shame we didn' t touch base than.

Regards,

Tom

Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

For an inline, reasonable, and quality, and if your not satisfied, check out the Thompson Center Black Diamond rifle they sell them in Bass Pro Shop, Cabela' s, Wal-Marts, and other on line stores. I have dealt with Bass Pro, and I have sent rifles back to them because when they came to the house I was not satisfied with the rifle. They have been an EXCELLENT company to deal with.

The Black Diamond is a great rifle according to my friend and all that I have read. They are .50 caliber and have the black synthetic stock. They can be mounted with a scope, and T/C is a quality rifle. Another good brands to check into are the CVA' s and Traditions.

Good luck in the sport....
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

My recommendations are as follows: White, Knight, Thompson Center, Austin & Halleck. All have excellent customer service and fine rifles.

It would be good to find out what is legal in NH before choosing a ML. That way you can purchase the correct ML for your state. Looks like you have narrowed it to an inline.

All the manufacturers listed have inlines. White is primarily a conical shooter, it will shoot sabots well, but conicals beyond excellent. I have the .451 M98 Elite Hunter, it also comes in .504 cal. Knight is primarily a sabot shooter, though I am told it can shot conicals well also. All Knights have a Green Mountain barrel, I have the Knight Mag DISC in .50 cal, from the lowest model to the highest - same quality of barrel. Thompson Center has all types of ML, the Encore and the Omega are getting the most press and attention. The Omega seems to be taking the ML world by storm and looks to be an impressive ML, accurate, not to fussy. Austin & Halleck is a solid performer and an up and comer in the ML world, I had the 420 in a satin nickle - great shooter, less than an inch and a half at 100 yrds without much effort (traded it for my Knight, needed something new to play with). Really can' t go wrong with any of these choices.

If money is an issue, resist the urge to check out CVA or Traditions. Just look at the less expensive Knight lines or look into the NEF Huntsman ($128 special order form WalMart for the blued version). You will be much happier with these rather than the soft Spanish barrels of CVA/Winchester/Traditions. Not that there is anything wrong with them... you just get what you pay for.

Check out this website for some reviews: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm

You can also get additonal advice at huntamerica.com' s ML forums.

Another link for the new ML' er, bluelk' s ML 101 chapters: http://www.realtree.com/bluelk/index.tpl

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.