Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cut Omega Z5 buttstock it sell for Impact for youth? >

Cut Omega Z5 buttstock it sell for Impact for youth?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cut Omega Z5 buttstock it sell for Impact for youth?

Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cut Omega Z5 buttstock it sell for Impact for youth?

Hey all. Long time hope everyone is well. I have two 9-year old boys that I want to get hunting this season. I have a stainless Omega and a blued Z5 Omega. Wondering if I should cut an inch or so off the buttstock of the Z5 or just sell it and get an Impact for them. The Omega barrel is quite heavy...not sure if the Impact is any lighter.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Hey all. Long time hope everyone is well. I have two 9-year old boys that I want to get hunting this season. I have a stainless Omega and a blued Z5 Omega. Wondering if I should cut an inch or so off the buttstock of the Z5 or just sell it and get an Impact for them. The Omega barrel is quite heavy...not sure if the Impact is any lighter.

Thoughts are appreciated.
The kids will grow, I wouldn't cut a stock when they'll grow into it or will fit someone else. The Omega rifles are now being sought after for conversion to smokeless. I myself would go with the Impact and save the rifles.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Two boys that want to hunt? Good for you. I agree with Barnes. Keep the Omegas. But because you have 2 boys might I offer another suggestion. Get them each a CVA Wolf. They are not expensive, shoot well and are compact enough that they can likely hold them up. Also they will have the pride of each having "their own gun".
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I should have clarified that it’s not in the budget to buy another gun and keep the Omega.

Curious...what mods are being done to the Omega to make it compatible with smokeless powder?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Thanks. I should have clarified that it’s not in the budget to buy another gun and keep the Omega.

Curious...what mods are being done to the Omega to make it compatible with smokeless powder?
Jeff Fisk, Bestill Creations, is highly modifying them and installing 45cal smokeless rated barrels along with a smokeless rated breech plug from ASG. They are extremely accurate with smokeless propellant, but also with BH209.
NOTE: YOU CAN NOT JUST SHOOT SMOKELESS FROM YOUR CURRENT OMEGA.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Hey NATO...Clear your private messages. Tried to send you a pm but your box is full..May have something to help you out.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Jeff Fisk, Bestill Creations, is highly modifying them and installing 45cal smokeless rated barrels along with a smokeless rated breech plug from ASG. They are extremely accurate with smokeless propellant, but also with BH209.
NOTE: YOU CAN NOT JUST SHOOT SMOKELESS FROM YOUR CURRENT OMEGA.
Understood. Never intended to shoot smokeless from my Omega as is. But yeah, "highly" is right. Basically you're keeping the action and the stock. Interesting.

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Hey NATO...Clear your private messages. Tried to send you a pm but your box is full..May have something to help you out.
Messages cleared!

On another note, gut shot a doe tonight with my bow. Chip shot at 15 yards but I was drawn back for over 5 minutes and was shaking like a leaf. Probably should have passed but I feel good about finding her.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

There's a name I haven't seen in a while. Hope you're able to find that doe.

The problem with cutting stocks for kids is that the kids will grow and when they do the stock, and often the value of the gun, is cut.

If necessary I would probably buy them, or buy/sell/trade whatever you need to do to get them a gun that fits properly without "damaging" the stock.

That being said.... If it's a gun you're going to keep and you aren't worried about resale then do what you want to it to make it useful to you.

I changed things on my wife's rifle to make it work better for her. And I don't plan on selling it, so the priority was getting it comfortable for her.

-Jake
Old 10-28-2018, 05:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Rather modify the stock. Use a lead sled device to hold the firearm. I've taught my youngsters How To Use a Scope. They understand what crosshairs mean. Shoot quite well with no felt recoil at this point.
JW
Old 10-29-2018, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

get them each a t/c impact with the 1" removeable spacer. i have one & i"ll tell you it's not a kids gun. you can find them on sale for 200 & still a 25 dollar rebate. i use mine for shots under 75 yrds but you can get them dialed in @200 yrds. my set up is leupold 1x4 using 100 grains of bh209 cci mag primer & a barnes 300 gr expander. does a realy nice job.also the barrel is suppose to be the same material as the truimph's. can't beat them everything is made in the good ole usa. and nato if you lived around me i would let you try mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.