Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
traditions new bullets  called carnavore >

traditions new bullets called carnavore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

traditions new bullets called carnavore

Old 10-13-2018, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

i believe i will stick with my barnes bullets the tez & 300 gr hollow points mz's just was wonder about the traditions . everything i've smacked with the barnes all have gone down like a cheap date . no need to worry about a plated bullet & it's fragments. i think this year i'm going back to muzzleloader for deer gun week. just enjoy the 1 shot challenge . used a 450 bushmaster last year. yes it was a thumper but i just like muzzleloaders better .
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

for the heck of it did buy a package of 305 carnivores will try them after i get a deer or 2 & then sight them in & see how they do.was watching bucks of tekemonte & they used the carnivores . left a big hole in the deer . but deer did run probably 200 yrds . i know it's all about shot placement .
Old 10-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a copy Lehigh bullet that works well.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its nothing like a Lehigh actually. 2 are just plated bullets like the Harvesters and the other is made by DRT ammo. Its a compressed non lead core in a copper jacket.

Our core is encapsulated in copper just like others, but we use a core of powdered metal not lead. We start with a fine mesh powder to make the core (much like the mesh of face powder).

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, Traditions is advertising the new Carnivore and XR bullets as being copper plated.
Their SST bullets are jacketed, but those come with the 3 petal EZ and not the new Ridgeback sabot.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

BUT its nothing new either. Berry's has offered that sabot with the Blue Diamond since 2010ish.

I can pretty much assure you if they were "all that" then Toby Bridges would be singing their virtues from the highest mountain. Traditions has been his primary muzzle loader sponsor now for a very long time.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

took the muzzy out 2 days ago & shot a big fat doe on a deer damage farm @ 30 yrds using the 305 carnivore bullet. dropped her in her tracks nice exit wound too. could not recover bullet . to dark to look for . was using a traditions pursuit & 100 grains of bh209. the bullet is itself is a buck a shot. for that kind of money think i will keep with my barnes 300 gr expanders. it's all copper bullet.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

How much does a 300gr DeepCurl cost?.....about 30-35 cents each and the plating is thick. Sure it does not have the cute little plastic tip but its a very lethal bullet. Under 100 yards any additional BC is completely useless. At a buck a pop there are several other bullets with a good BC and better overall construction i would choose. Even the PT Gold can be had for around $26/50 without sabots. A few of the Barnes can be found for about a buck each or less. So yeah im scratching my head wondering what makes a plated bullet worth a buck a pop? Adding a tip and sabot to a 18cent bullet surely dont cost that much or even close.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

gm54 i firmly believe you right on that. i must say the bullet did some damage but not as much as a barnes expander does therefore i wonder how the carnivore woks on a deer @ over 100 yrds away.think i will try to back out a little from where these deer cross & try it. don't want to loose a animal but willing to try on a deer damage farm . but when it goes to the gun season & i'm using a muzzy differently will be using a barnes expander or a barnes tez.