Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
triple 7 firestar pellets >

triple 7 firestar pellets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

triple 7 firestar pellets

Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default triple 7 firestar pellets

has anybody tried the new triple 7 firestar pellets yet ? and if you did do they still have the dreaded crud ring ? hogdon claims no but read somewhere in a review they do. hate to spend 25 for a pack just to find out they do. somebody also said if you use the inline muzzlelader primers they don't. thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the most important part

The FireStar™ Pellets come in grain weights of approximately 33 grains per pellet, and three pellets constitute a 100-grain equivalent load
$25.99 for 60 pellets so roughly $1.30 per shot just for powder
$22.99 (Cabelas) would be about $1.15 per shot
Hodgdon claims 3 pellets produce around 1750fps with a 250gr bullet and 1650fps with a 300gr bullet.

Fairly simple to get rid of the crud ring. Its called Blackhorn209 and your T/C Impact should be fine with it. No modification needed.
$38 per bottle
73-100gr equivalent loads per bottle
Around 52cents per shot

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-11-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

thanks gm54-120 thats what i'm using now good stuff to use . have been using it in t/c's & traditions muzzies for about 7-8 yrs now . just wondering about pellets for convenience. but should just remember if it ain't broken don't fix it . & bh209 has yet to fail me
Old 09-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a gimic if you go and look at the MSDS. The same data sheet is used for all Triple7. This link came straight off the Firestar page. Looks like the same chemical composition as all the T7 products. I would have a lot of difficulty believing simply changing the shape has made a huge improvement.
https://www.hodgdon.com/triple-seven-firestar-pellets/
https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...en-sds-new.pdf

Dated August 2018

Old 09-12-2018, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

i was just thinking the same . whatta gimmick. how is a shape going to improve the product. just as they would say you can dress a pig but it's still a pig
Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

For people that like pellets, they might like them but other than a tad more speed i highly doubt the crud ring is any better. Now, if they ignite easier using a percussion cap they might be a whole lot better than standard T7 pellets. You already get way less crud ring using caps with Triple7 loose. The standard pellets though are just harder to ignite reliably with caps.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried both kinds of pellets and found them to be much slower and less convenient than regular Pyrodex before Blackhorn came out now with problems like fines and crud ring eliminated the only way I can account for the amount of business 777 gets is the one born every minute.
I also wonder about wiping BH between shots, I tried everything I could think of and everything suggested and always got much better accuracy in all my inlines when I did not wipe between shots and that's on the 250 yd. range. I do not understand why some say you get better accuracy with swabbing. Is it just some guns or am I missing something?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

i get better accuracy with bh209 with out wiping the bore 1st shot is never dead center. 2nd shot pretty close to dead center ; but third shot is dead center. i always foul my barrel by firing @ least 2 primers. and usaully after i foul it i get great accuracy. simply the best powder out there .
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

They may be a gimmick, but since the Firestar pellets do provide "more surface area for ignition" and also claim "velocity gains of up to 50 FPS". they can patent the shape and stop other companies from making them.
Just like they did when they sued the former manufacturer of APP (Clean Shot Technologies) out of existence for copying their round pellets.
Now the new APP company can only make square shaped sticks a.k.a. Sticks & Super Sticks.

But the new star shape also helps to differentiate the powder charge of 33 grains.
Who knows, maybe these new pellets will ignite "slightly better" in traditional guns using musket nipples or 209 primer adaptors?
Or some folks might be using T7 pellets in duplex loads or with a booster charge of loose T7.
The new shape could be helpful for better reliability and results, just like with faster lock time that's measured in milliseconds.

I also recall during our old ML club shoots using round ball guns, that they would allow the shooters to take a fouling shot before the match started.
Not everyone would since every gun is different.
However I always sight hunting guns in for taking the 1st shot out of a cold clean barrel.
Do Blackhorn shooters begin their hunt with a clean barrel or a fouled barrel?

Last edited by arcticap; 09-13-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the Hodgdon 1 minute video about the new pellets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.