HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   triple 7 firestar pellets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/419064-triple-7-firestar-pellets.html)

t.shaffer 09-13-2018 10:54 AM

thanks for the info on hogdon pellets but i'm going to stick with bh209 & i do start out with a fouled barrel. 2 cci magnum primers & then i load my hunting load & ready to go.

lemoyne 09-13-2018 12:44 PM

There are a few rare people, especially some who live at higher altitudes who know what they are doing and get along with 77 quite well; then there are those who just don't know much like once a year hunters and beginners who either struggle with it or shoot with the bullet or sabot bullet combination seated on the crudring and not the powder and never realize it unless they ruin a barrel. I would not know but suspect that even if you don't hurt the barrel it going to make a major difference in accuracy.
I suggest that anyone who uses 77 use a witness mark and refer to it very carefully even if they think they have taken the crudring out.

pooldoc 09-13-2018 02:21 PM

I have been using BH209 since it was introduced.. Given our Camp set up I don't have the ability to fire fouling shots with full load. I do fire two primers(I use Federal 209A) and then load up my regular hunting load with no accuracy issues.to my knowledge.

MountainDevil54 09-15-2018 12:11 PM

muzzle-loaders tested them. They still got a new crud ring. Stick with loose powder. More bang for your buck and no marketing gimmicks.

t.shaffer 09-16-2018 04:41 AM

thanks everybody for the great information i will stick with my bh209. just wanted to see what kind of infor people had on firestar. i must of lost my mind for a second to even think about switching back to pellets .or otherwise had a senior moment.

Gm54-120 09-24-2018 08:29 AM

Of course they got more speed. 3 Firestar pellets weigh 12gr more than 2 standard Triple7 pellets. Both are claimed to be the 100gr equivalent. Obviously you are going to have more speed with more powder until barrel length limitations kick in. Simple math 100gr charge of 2x pellets weighs an average of 60.75gr and a 100gr charge of 3 FireStar weighs 72.95gr.

flint head 09-24-2018 09:27 AM

I tried them in my Accura with 250 grain Aerolite Powerbelts... the three pellet load shot terrible,,, more of a pattern than a group. With 777 primers the crud ring was barely there.

GoexBlackhorn 06-29-2019 09:05 AM

Allant Blue pellets or White Hot pellets for me. Use three pellet practice routines for longer distances. This stuff really leaves your barrel cleaner after several shots and I've yet to have a misfire emptying the gun after a morning or evening hunt.

This is not for the budget-minded, although they aren't expensive to purchase. But it might be in the user's best interest to fire the load and start fresh the next day. That's what I do.

coonhound10 09-25-2020 02:02 PM

Triple Seven Firestar pellets

On the package, it states to only use in guns certified to use Firestar pellets. Can anyone tell me which ML guns are certified to use Firestar pellets?

BuckDoeHunter 09-29-2020 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by coonhound10 (Post 4381413)
On the package, it states to only use in guns certified to use Firestar pellets. Can anyone tell me which ML guns are certified to use Firestar pellets?

Where on the package does it say that?

I’ve only seen where it says to use in modern muzzleloaders with 209 ignition.