Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Riddance

Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Riddance

Went and hacked off the QLA of this rifle, with a hack saw. Kinda polished the rifle barrel some with a disc sander, a file, some sand paper, and an old counter sink. Cut isn't quite square, but i tried as hard as i could. Did cut the ram rod off using a small lathe. Headed out to shoot it some this morning, but there were people sleeping where i wanted to shoot so i ended up in some very tall grass. Was only able to shoot at 25 yard for the initial sight, and then finished at 90 yard before the breeze picked up. Shot 52Bore 430 grain lead boolit. Used 70 grain Blackhorn powder, and W209 primer.

_
Old 08-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good job Ron. Getting rid of that QLA does make a difference.

For anyone hesitant to take on a barrel cutting job, here's my tutorial on a easy failsafe way to go about it.

Cutting A Barrel Shorter
Old 08-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
.......Getting rid of that QLA does make a difference........
Yes it certainly does. Thank you for the information! Used your idea of the tubing cutter both times i cut my rifles, and it worked as good the second time as it did the first time..........

_
Old 08-12-2018, 04:34 AM
Spike

What is reason to cut the QLA off?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every time i have shot full bore lead bullets in an Omega rifle, they scatter like shotgun pellets. Cutting the QLA off this here rifle, makes for accurate shooting of any full bore bullet. Cutting the QLA off this here Omega makes it the only Omega i have, that can accurately shoot bullets without sabot. Also, the bullets utilizing sabot shoot as good or better than they did before removing the QLA.

_
Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is sad TC has left the scene, especially since it is just a better gun...............

Seems like you may be correct that a hollow point in soft bullet like that may not be the best? The wheel weght version may be a better hunting bullet?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Goodbye, so long, farewell! :-)
Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 AM
Spike

Ron. How was the front sight affected? Did you have to tap a new hole for mounting screw?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The front sight is not much of an issue.......... All one need do is replace the 2.5-8 scope with a 1X scope, sight it in, and go hunting.. Or one could turn the front sight around..............

Or one could replace the factory front sight with this globe sight.

Me thinks i could drill, and tap a new hole, but never have. It would definitely be the most difficult option.

_
Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 AM
Spike

Ron, where can I get this globe sight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.