Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura 27” vs Knight Mountaineer 27” .50s >

CVA Accura 27” vs Knight Mountaineer 27” .50s

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura 27” vs Knight Mountaineer 27” .50s

Old 06-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Spike

Default CVA Accura 27” vs Knight Mountaineer 27” .50s

I currently have a CVA Accura PR 27" Thumbhole stock 50 cal. I have only had it a few weeks. I am mainly shooting 435 to 450 lead conicals. I have an old Knight Wolverine that I bought years ago. The gun seemed to be well made even with the plastic type stock. As far as the Knight Mountaineer I have read some good things about it and I am just wondering if it is all they say it is. Accuracy guarantee of 4" at 200 yards is what Knight claims. They don't mention what load and bullet was used. At least I haven't seen it. Could that be achieved with the right load and a 450 gr lead conical ? I see some of you have both so would you mind sharing your opinions of the two? How do the two compare in accuracy, handling,etc. What about service? Thanks to all...Alan
Old 06-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just saw a thread on here about CVA not wanting people to shoot conicals over 400 gr. So take that for what its worth. I have a CVA Accura V2 and I love it. It shoots plenty accurate enough for me and I've killed everything I shot at with it using 295 gr Barnes bullets. I've also shot 300 gr Hornady XTPs (.429") using Harvester green CR sabots.
I don't have a Knight anymore. Not because it wasn't accurate. But because I disliked the firing/safety system.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cape Buffalo Hunt.
Guns were CVA Accura V2s. 130 grs Pyrodex RS was there propellant. Special ordered Safari grade 480 gr Power Belt bullets were used. Strengthened with a flat nosed cap for hunting buffalo and elephants. Muzzle energy was chronographed at 2690.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go to bed earlier.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Go to bed earlier.
Can't get to sleep! I have a new Polaris XP 1000 Ranger coming
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cape Buffalo Hunt.
Guns were CVA Accura V2s. 130 grs Pyrodex RS was there propellant. Special ordered Safari grade 480 gr Power Belt bullets were used. Strengthened with a flat nosed cap for hunting buffalo and elephants. Muzzle energy was chronographed at 2690.
But! I would bet you if you and I shot that same load and had a malfunction - CVA would not warrant the rifle!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

It might be interesting to find out. I know when I called them and asked about shooting the Powerbelt 444gr in a CVA they said it was ok. They put themselves in a box by selling CVA's and Powerbelts. It's hard for them to say we can't use what they sell.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Cape Buffalo Hunt.

This made me think of the post below

Val Forgett of Navy Arms took their .58 caliber Hawken Hunter on African safari, they worked up loads for it using a 610 gr. Minie and 200 grains of FFFg. It was a 9 1/4-lb. rifle. He said recoil wasn't as bad as expected when shooting offhand, was "a bit punishing" from the bench. They settled on 180 grains FFFg, and he killed a lot of big game with that load.

I dug this up after buying 1 of these Navy Arms Hawken Hunters New unfired. I read another piece where he hit an African Lion and took out both shoulders. Hard for me to imagine 180-200 Grains of 3F with a 610 Grain bullet in front of it, especially this Swiss stuff i shoot
Old 06-13-2018, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 54bore

This made me think of the post below

Val Forgett of Navy Arms took their .58 caliber Hawken Hunter on African safari, they worked up loads for it using a 610 gr. Minie and 200 grains of FFFg. It was a 9 1/4-lb. rifle. He said recoil wasn't as bad as expected when shooting offhand, was "a bit punishing" from the bench. They settled on 180 grains FFFg, and he killed a lot of big game with that load.

I dug this up after buying 1 of these Navy Arms Hawken Hunters New unfired. I read another piece where he hit an African Lion and took out both shoulders. Hard for me to imagine 180-200 Grains of 3F with a 610 Grain bullet in front of it, especially this Swiss stuff i shoot
I shoot an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress, using 180grs but only a 300gr bullet. TRUST ME..... it'll get your attention quickly. I can't imagine sending a 610gr bullet with that charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.