HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What's up with no lead conicals over 400 CVA Accura (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/418092-whats-up-no-lead-conicals-over-400-cva-accura.html)

longbowelk 05-20-2018 06:28 PM

What's up with no lead conicals over 400 CVA Accura

I just got a new CVA Accura 50 cal, 27" nitride bsrrel. Was planning on using 450 gr conicals that I cast. In reading the manual I read no lead conicals over 400 grains. This is supposed to be a magnum rifle that can handle 150 grains. I don't shoot but around 80 by volume of 209. They show a 444 gr copper clad in their powerbelt pamplet. I've already shot about 20 450s and getting a good group at 100. The rifle seemed fine to me. Anyone know what this is all sbout?

MountainDevil54 05-20-2018 09:02 PM

crap they carried over from the old days. Im surprised they list the 444 powerbelt, they didnt even list that on in their booklet. Just an oxymoron move IMO.

bronko22000 05-21-2018 06:14 AM

I'd call CVA and ask them why. It may be that they don't want someone loading 150 gr under a 450+gr bullet. Probably too much pressure

Gm54-120 05-21-2018 06:45 AM

I still find this amusing and that they still include the warning in the most recent manual.

However, most sabots leave a heavy plastic residue in the bore requiring cleaning of the bore after every shot. This plastic residue along with the extremely tight fit of most sabots makes loading for quick follow-up shots very difficult.
CVA's load data in the manual is barely even generic. They make no distinction between the most common loose subs and BH209. So when you claim its totally safe to use 150gr of loose powder by volume, people get the idea its safe with no matter what bullet you want to shoot. They still flaunt the "Magnum Muzzleloader" advertising like so many others. Well its pretty obvious that a 150gr load with some bullets might just get you into some VERY high pressures.

Use 150gr by volume of BH209 and a really heavy bullet will easily get you into dangerous territory. Even with a 300gr bullet that load is well into the 30kpsi range. Westerns own load data stops at around a 444gr and 100gr by volume.

Muley Hunter 05-21-2018 08:20 AM

I haven't read the manual in quite awhile but I just did. My manual says:

Max powder load is 150gr of pellets or it's equal. (That's not 150gr of powder)

All Powerbelts are ok to use.

longbowelk 05-21-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4335635)
I haven't read the manual in quite awhile but I just did. My manual says:

Max powder load is 150gr of pellets or it's equal. (That's not 150gr of powder)

All Powerbelts are ok to use.

Just so everyone knows, I personally would not shoot 150 grains of loose powder or 3 pellets. I am only interested in the lead conicals. Do not care or desire the Powerbelts. I have considered the Thor. Sabots are out as my main deal is elk in Colorado. I plan on calling CVA and checking this out. All I can say is if this rifle can handle 150 grains it ought to be able to handle a lead conical 425 to 460 with a moderate load of 80 to 85 grains(vol) BH209 or Black MZ. No exceptions are made in the manual, just it voids your warranty if you shoot lead conical over 400 grains. Of course I have never heard any mention of this on any forum or any of the CVA marketing materials. Thanks to all, Alan
I'll repost my answer from CVA

Gm54-120 05-21-2018 09:09 AM

This is right out of the manual they have listed online for an Accura. It even has a pic of a nitride and mentions the nitride finish so its rather current.

CVA in-line gun designated as a “Magnum” is 150 grains by volume. This maximum load is generally known as the “magnum” load and is best suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient burning characteristics of the powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may be shot but are not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder.
Now come on, even Traditions specifically states that BH209 max is 120gr by volume in the Strikefire manual. Some of their manuals even list loose T7 as 130gr max. They also have the decency to list load data for several powders....It aint that hard for the "just a better gun" company to list safer load data in the manuals.

MountainDevil54 05-21-2018 09:13 AM

The last time I asked ( many years ago ) I got some bs excuse that lead conicals can slide off the charge and thats the reason for the limit. But you can shoot any of the powerbelts of course ;)

Muley Hunter 05-21-2018 09:14 AM

Depending on who you get on the phone they'll tell you to ignore the manual or not. They don't need to know what you shoot unless you tell them.

I hunt the rifle seasons and don't have to deal with the muzzleloader laws in Colorado. Easier to get tags too.

btw...a .54 PRB always worked for me for elk when I did hunt the muzzy season. Elk aren't so tough to need a conical over 400gr. I use a 250gr Barnes now. A Thor that size would be fine if you hunt the muzzy season.

Gm54-120 05-21-2018 09:15 AM

LongBow call Western powders too. Im certain 80gr of BH209 by volume is safe with a 465gr in a 50cal. Assuming its used in a modern inline of good quality. I shoot upto 80gr by volume in a Knight 45cal with a 460gr conical. Its fine and a 45cal makes higher peak pressure with the same load and bullet weight. Western approves of upto 100gr by volume and a 444gr PowerBelt which is nothing more than a copper plated conical wearing a skirt.