Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What's up with no lead conicals over 400 CVA Accura >

What's up with no lead conicals over 400 CVA Accura

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's up with no lead conicals over 400 CVA Accura

Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by longbowelk
Just so everyone knows, I personally would not shoot 150 grains of loose powder or 3 pellets. I am only interested in the lead conicals. Do not care or desire the Powerbelts. I have considered the Thor. Sabots are out as my main deal is elk in Colorado. I plan on calling CVA and checking this out. All I can say is if this rifle can handle 150 grains it ought to be able to handle a lead conical 425 to 460 with a moderate load of 80 to 85 grains(vol) BH209 or Black MZ. No exceptions are made in the manual, just it voids your warranty if you shoot lead conical over 400 grains. Of course I have never heard any mention of this on any forum or any of the CVA marketing materials. Thanks to all, Alan
I'll repost my answer from CVA
Ok, just got off the phone with BPI. The guy said that the reason the 400 gr is listed is they have not tested anything over that weight. He said they have talked about doing some testing and publishing it. I told him I don't see why they would not do it as they have a large portion of the market. He did mention that it would not void the warranty. I told him no way would I put 150 grains of powder/pellets behind a 450 grain lead conical as if the gun did not blow up it would kick me way too much. I did mention that in the material I got with the gun there was a chart included showing a 444 grain copper clad bullet using 100 grains of pellets. I told him I don't see but 6 grains of difference in bullet weight and I am shooting 20 grains less powder. He said they get this call about once a week. I told him they should take it out of the manual and replace it with a safe chart. One other thing he did say that it was mainly in there for people that cast their own bullets. Well, I cast my own 450's and I told him I certainly wouldn't cast a 600 grain and think it was 450. I could tell the guy was nice and really had nothing to confirm the sentence. See below from the manual. I'm going to not worry about this deal as I do not feel that 80 to 85 grains of BH209 or Black MZ with a 450 or 460 grain lead conical is not safe. Ok, 3 negatives in last sentence. To clarify, I am going to keep shooting the 85V gr of powder and the 450 to 460 gr lead conical as I believe the so called Magnum rifle can safely handle the load.
From the manual:
LEAD CONICALS

The lead conical is one of the oldest designs around for muzzleloading guns. These

bullets are typically heavy in weight and feature a hollow base that expands with

pressure to seal the bore. Although lacking in some modern features they remain

effective on short to medium range shots and are ideal for use in states that do not

allow projectiles with plastic parts. Do not use lead conical bullets weighing over

400 grains in your CVA rifle.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of Powerbelts. It's the lighter PB's that gave them a bad rep. I believe the 410gr and 444gr would work really good on an elk.

I was thinking of using the 410gr PB if I fail at my draw tag and end up with a muzzy leftover tag. I've never read anything but positive reviews of the heavy PB's. Getting Thors and NoExcuse to fit right is a pain. I know the 410gr PB will fit good. Overpriced but i'd only need one pack for hunting.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot a 400gr+ PB like you would shoot a conical and i bet it behaves pretty much like a 400gr+ conical. I bet a 400gr+ copper clad flat point would have great penetration when shot with the right amount of powder.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-21-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I wish the 405gr was a solid flat point conical instead of what it is. I've never found the 444gr PB's for sale anywhere. Not even the PB website. They list them but are always out of stock. Most stores don't even list them.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just discovered something. The copper 405gr PB is either HP or plastic tipped like the rest of the copper PB's. The all lead 405gr PB is a solid flat nosed bullet. That's the bullet i'll use for my next muzzy elk hunt. It's also in stock. I think the demand for the 444gr bullet is pretty low. They don't seem to make any but the 405 solid flat point should be fine for elk and bear. I'm sure it would knock a deer for a loop.

I might just try it this year for everything in rifle season. 70-80gr of BH should be enough.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people probably get scared off by the weight but dont realize you dont need much powder to make heavy conicals highly effective. Plus the guys that know also know you can buy heavy conicals way cheaper than a PB. CVA imo could find a niche here. Offer the PowerBelt Platinum, Big Game.....375-400gr PB Plat flat point. It would be shiny and able to shoot a little faster than a lead conical without leading the barrel. We all know that shiny stuff sells
Old 05-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

I went through this years ago. The fellow I spoke with fully agreed but sadly, said that powderbelt/cva will not come to an agreement, they want what sells, light weight, hollow point bullets.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are cheaper. So far I found a 20 pack for $20 with free shipping. I'm going to get some. They're cheaper than the Barnes i'm using.
I found this review on the 444gr flat point all lead. I would think the 405gr FP should work as good. The review is from this forum a few years ago.

"I saw a 444 gr. Powerbelt that was recovered from a Bison shot near Hartzel, Colorado recently. Great looking bullet - expanded to about 3/4 inch with a lot of shank still driving it. It was found just under the hide on a quartering away shot."
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I ordered a couple of packs of the 405gr all lead flat points. We'll see how they shoot. Now i'm thinking of using Goex BP instead of BH 209. Just to stay a little traditional and blow more smoke.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

After sleeping on it I decided to bail on them. I canceled the order. A lead bullet with no lube is going to really lead up the bore. I'll stay with the Barnes for now.