HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New Thor bullets with CVA Accura? ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/417883-new-thor-bullets-cva-accura.html)

longbowelk 04-26-2018 09:53 AM

New Thor bullets with CVA Accura? ?

Anyone try these new one size fit all Thor bullets?
They state the bullets are .503. I understand the land to land on the CVA'S are. 499. I don't see these fitting without a lot of force. I heard they are good bullets for elk. Anyone know anything?

sabotloader 04-26-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by longbowelk (Post 4333767)
Anyone try these new one size fit all Thor bullets?
They state the bullets are .503. I understand the land to land on the CVA'S are. 499. I don't see these fitting without a lot of force. I heard they are good bullets for elk. Anyone know anything?

Thor has sizing kits you should get before you buy a supply of bullets.

Follow this link

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/thor-...zing-pack.html

MountainDevil54 04-26-2018 12:11 PM

They fit beautifully. .503 yes, and they don't take much force to load even in my hawken with a .499" bullet.

You dont need a sizing sample for the one size fits all thor bullet.

try www.muzzle-loaders.com they are buying out most of the bullets from thor and stocking them.

hunters_life 04-26-2018 01:45 PM

Funny, you posted the same site link as Sabot Loader and it is that same site that recommends buying the size pack first. And as it says on that site, most muzzleloaders vary between .001 to as much as .004 and with brass or copper solids that will make for a very difficult load with one .002 over what you have. So unless the original poster has an adjustable sizing die or one that matches his bore, I too would recommend the sample size pack first.

MountainDevil54 04-26-2018 01:50 PM

shakes head..... When you boys just listen and be quiet?

ONE SIZE FITS ALL
Thor.

Its not the original bullet where you needed the sizing sample before ordering.

The one size fits all thor is .503-504 diameter and shrinks down to the proper size as you start it into the bore.

Original thor one the left.. One size fits all on the right

And no, the slits do not harm the FPS any. 1,801 FPS tested in a 24" cva wolf & 100 grains Blackhorn209 with the 300gr one size fits all thor.

You are welcome.

longbowelk 04-26-2018 02:40 PM

Thanks guys...the picture of the new Thor shows the flare way out(.503) I can see it shouldn't take much effort to get it in the bore.

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 05:32 AM

I tried the fits all Thor and had to pound them in. If your bore is .500 and the Thor is .503 it's not hard to figure out how they're going to load. Those slits don't work as good as you think.

It's better to get the sizing kit and get the right size bullet for your bore. I can load those with my thumb.

The fits all bullets are a good idea, but if you have a tight bore you won't like them.

That was my experience with the fits all bullets. I sent them back.

I find it easier to hunt the rifle seasons. I can use Barnes sabots for rifle seasons.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 08:06 AM

Nothing ever works for you pete :D :D

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 08:09 AM

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 08:39 AM

That gun had a big bore. You easily pushed it in with finger pressure. I smacked mine as hard as possible with a ball starter and all it did was put some small rifling marks on the edge of the Thor. No way to get that bullet to load.

It has to be bigger than .503? It would be loose in a .503 bore.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 08:43 AM

lol no pete, that bore takes a .500" thor.

I guess you know my guns better than I do though.

I loaded & shot them in a brand new traditions st louis hawken with nice even pressure. Some resistance yes, but not the 30lb range.

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 09:20 AM

I tried them in the same gun the OP is asking about. If they fit his gun like they do in mine he won't use them.

Better to get the regular Thors that fit the bore.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 09:24 AM

Yes, I've tried and actually shot them in the entire cva line up.

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 09:28 AM

Tell you what. You drive up here with your Jeep. If you can get the Thor down my bore i'll give you my Jeep. If you can't i'll take your Jeep.

You better have your brother follow you up here so you have a ride home.

edit..........I'll supply the Thor.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 09:47 AM

Drove up there once before. Its your turn now :D :D

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 10:57 AM

Ok, i'll come there. I'll bring someone to drive your Jeep back up here.

When?

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 12:06 PM

when you defarb that inline so it dont look so ugly :)

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 12:19 PM

To be serious for a minute. Those Thors need to start in the bore for them to work. meaning the bore has to be big enough to get started. Then the bore will bend it in for a fit.

If the bore is too small to even get them started they just hit the edge of the bore and bullet. No way to push them down then. You could size them down just a bit to get them started and then the bore will fit them.

I had two packs and tried every one of them. No way to get them started.

So, to the OP. They'll work if your bore is big enough to get them started.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 12:30 PM

Now do no excuse bullets fit in your bore?

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 12:43 PM

Never tried NE. The 250/290gr Barnes T-EZ fit real tight. I need all my weight on the ramrod.

You never would have got a fits all Thor down my bore and would be watching your Jeep drive away.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 12:48 PM

send'em to me petey.

MountainDevil54 04-27-2018 12:49 PM

and sabots are not legal sooooo..

Muley Hunter 04-27-2018 12:52 PM

I sent them back and traded for the Barnes. Sabots are fine. All my tags are rifle tags.

bronko22000 04-28-2018 03:51 AM

I've never tried these but it seems to me that as long as your rifle is crowned properly and you align the bullet correctly there should not be much of a problem starting these down your bore. (provided your bore is no smaller then .499") This is assuming the copper is ductile enough for the skirt to close to fit the bore.

Muley Hunter 04-28-2018 06:07 AM

That's the problem. The copper in the Thor/Barnes is very stiff.

When you get the sizing kit to see which size fits your bore before ordering the regular Thors you'll get one size that goes down perfect. The next size up can't even get started and it's only .001 bigger.

It's not like fitting lead bullets. Copper is unforgiving.

The CVA crown likes Powerbelts and sabots that are easy to start. Bullets like Thor and FPB can be a bear to get started.

Idaholewis 04-29-2018 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4333908)
That's the problem. The copper in the Thor/Barnes is very stiff.

When you get the sizing kit to see which size fits your bore before ordering the regular Thors you'll get one size that goes down perfect. The next size up can't even get started and it's only .001 bigger.

It's not like fitting lead bullets. Copper is unforgiving

You are DEAD ON Pete! I started using 40:1 Alloy quite awhile back trying to Combat Conicals loosening up about halfway down the bore (this was with known Pure lead) They would give up about halfway down the bore, and by the time i hit the Over Powder Wad I didn’t have much confidence that they would stay put on the powder charge? The 40:1 Alloy i chose absolutely solved this problem! One thing that TRULY amazed me was how much difference .001 actually makes! You can go from a decent fit, Then slightly open the die in hopes to get them just a tiny bit snugger, That half, to .001 can very possibly be an UH OH! I went to far! I have played around with this a BUNCH, Lead Conicals of course. I can only imagine a Copper bullet. Anyone that thinks going up just .001 is no big deal, If using a Copper bullet They quite possibly Have a rude awakening in store!

Muley Hunter 04-29-2018 06:12 AM

It's a problem I find with NoExcuses conicals. The pure lead is so soft that even though he makes them oversize by the time they're half way down the bore they almost fall the rest of the way. The only way I can get them to work is to have the bore really fouled a lot.

Just the opposite problem of the Thor. The Thor is a good bullet but getting the proper fit is always a struggle.

I think the answer is to still fit the Thor to your bore like the regular Thors but have the slits on the base. Then you're not trying to fit bores from .500 to .503 with one hard conical. Make .500, .501, 502, and .503 with slits.

Gm54-120 04-29-2018 07:03 AM

I can tell you if you take a jacketed bullet just .0005 over lands you will be beating it down the bore with a hammer. A .4505 Parker wont even begin to load in my .450 squeaky clean. No way no how.

Under sized and knurled up to .452 goes down nice and snug. Cecils Ultimate 1 conicals were knurled and worked really well too. Crazy over priced though.

MountainDevil54 04-29-2018 10:42 AM

yes crazy priced is right. A neat design though.