Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Thor bullets with CVA Accura? ? >

New Thor bullets with CVA Accura? ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Thor bullets with CVA Accura? ?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Banned

send'em to me petey.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

and sabots are not legal sooooo..
Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sent them back and traded for the Barnes. Sabots are fine. All my tags are rifle tags.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never tried these but it seems to me that as long as your rifle is crowned properly and you align the bullet correctly there should not be much of a problem starting these down your bore. (provided your bore is no smaller then .499") This is assuming the copper is ductile enough for the skirt to close to fit the bore.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's the problem. The copper in the Thor/Barnes is very stiff.

When you get the sizing kit to see which size fits your bore before ordering the regular Thors you'll get one size that goes down perfect. The next size up can't even get started and it's only .001 bigger.

It's not like fitting lead bullets. Copper is unforgiving.

The CVA crown likes Powerbelts and sabots that are easy to start. Bullets like Thor and FPB can be a bear to get started.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That's the problem. The copper in the Thor/Barnes is very stiff.

When you get the sizing kit to see which size fits your bore before ordering the regular Thors you'll get one size that goes down perfect. The next size up can't even get started and it's only .001 bigger.

It's not like fitting lead bullets. Copper is unforgiving
You are DEAD ON Pete! I started using 40:1 Alloy quite awhile back trying to Combat Conicals loosening up about halfway down the bore (this was with known Pure lead) They would give up about halfway down the bore, and by the time i hit the Over Powder Wad I didn’t have much confidence that they would stay put on the powder charge? The 40:1 Alloy i chose absolutely solved this problem! One thing that TRULY amazed me was how much difference .001 actually makes! You can go from a decent fit, Then slightly open the die in hopes to get them just a tiny bit snugger, That half, to .001 can very possibly be an UH OH! I went to far! I have played around with this a BUNCH, Lead Conicals of course. I can only imagine a Copper bullet. Anyone that thinks going up just .001 is no big deal, If using a Copper bullet They quite possibly Have a rude awakening in store!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 04-29-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a problem I find with NoExcuses conicals. The pure lead is so soft that even though he makes them oversize by the time they're half way down the bore they almost fall the rest of the way. The only way I can get them to work is to have the bore really fouled a lot.

Just the opposite problem of the Thor. The Thor is a good bullet but getting the proper fit is always a struggle.

I think the answer is to still fit the Thor to your bore like the regular Thors but have the slits on the base. Then you're not trying to fit bores from .500 to .503 with one hard conical. Make .500, .501, 502, and .503 with slits.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can tell you if you take a jacketed bullet just .0005 over lands you will be beating it down the bore with a hammer. A .4505 Parker wont even begin to load in my .450 squeaky clean. No way no how.

Under sized and knurled up to .452 goes down nice and snug. Cecils Ultimate 1 conicals were knurled and worked really well too. Crazy over priced though.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

yes crazy priced is right. A neat design though.