Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
It will be interesting to see if these will shoot >

It will be interesting to see if these will shoot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It will be interesting to see if these will shoot

Old 04-25-2018, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default It will be interesting to see if these will shoot

JBM says yes. 1.459 stability at 2100fps in a 1-20 twist but he plans on shooting them faster. AJ posted these pics on another forum. Bullets are from Dennis at Fury. They were custom made on a request. Originally for someone shooting them sabotless IIRC. The bullet is 1.283" long. Estimated BC should be well over .350 and probably close to .380 or a tad more.

40cal 310gr Fury Spitzer

For comparison a Fury 40cal 250gr Star Tip that has been shot in sabots successfully.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-25-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

My bet is they will be tumbling at 75 yards, and probably need something like a twist rate somewhere in the 1:10 to 1:14 range. (I have absolutely no scientific basis for this opinion. )
Old 04-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another shooter was using a pretty slow powder but his bullets were cast. Close to the same weight though. The goal is 2500fps which is certainly possible in a SML. The big question is how much will the sabot handle.

In theory a max recommended load of BH209 should hit 2100fps or a tad more in a 45cal. It can be done in my Super DISC sabotless. Peak pressure barely gets into the 26-27kpsi range. I know for a fact the Harvester sabot can handle that with ease. Ive shot loads with much higher peak psi with that sabot.

My concern is the amount of bullet NOT in the sabot. Bullet alignment when loading becomes very sensitive to any misalignment. The bearing surface appears to be less than half the total length of the bullet BUT its about the same as a 200gr SST.

So in theory it might work. The twist is fast enough according to JBM. 1.3 is the recommended minimum.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Another shooter was using a pretty slow powder but his bullets were cast. Close to the same weight though. The goal is 2500fps which is certainly possible in a SML. The big question is how much will the sabot handle.

In theory a max recommended load of BH209 should hit 2100fps or a tad more in a 45cal. It can be done in my Super DISC sabotless. Peak pressure barely gets into the 26-27kpsi range. I know for a fact the Harvester sabot can handle that with ease. Ive shot loads with much higher peak psi with that sabot.

My concern is the amount of bullet NOT in the sabot. Bullet alignment when loading becomes very sensitive to any misalignment. The bearing surface appears to be less than half the total length of the bullet BUT its about the same as a 200gr SST.

So in theory it might work. The twist is fast enough according to JBM. 1.3 is the recommended minimum.

Scott you brought up a point I had not really considered when you mention alignment in the sabot....

I shoot this bullet in an MMP tan sabot and as you have noted the sabot is short on the bullet...

I called and mentioned this to Del (MMP Sabots) - even sent him some samples to work with. He did not seemed to concerned at the time. In fact he theorized that it might even be better with the short as the sabot would be off the bullet much sooner. And as I load these I have never been concerned with alignment either. Well I should say I did not do anything special while loading.

These bullets have always shot really well for me from all 3 of the FT 45's that I have.

But, and this might be a big but!, the bullet never made it past the prototype stage as Knight did have some problems with it and accuracy. So maybe you are on to something!

Del did run a experimental project with a sabot mold he had in stock and sent me some of those to try... This sabot did have longer petals and the 230 did sit in it better.

This picture shows a 215 grain bullet in the sabot. While the 215 is shorter you can see the petals come much farther up the bullet. I did shoot the 230 in these red MMP's and it shot equally well. The sabot did not look good after being shot but it did not seem to effect accuracy...

Now thinking about it didn't you get some of these 230's and red sabots?

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes i got some of each. IIRC i never tried them in my Pacnor 1-22 but IIRC i did try the prototype sabot with a 200gr and BH209. The powder cups showed the same damage. My suggestion to Del was make the powder cup just like the 52cal sabots he makes for Knight or make it very thick like the Harvester 54x45 sabot.

I never got to shooting them for accuracy. I didnt have enough of each and 2 separate goals in mind.

IIRC i had to use the Harvester sabot for the 230gr in the Pacnor. The bore is really tight. I dont think i even had the Super DISC when i first got them. Plus i was a bit more concerned about getting the 230gr to shoot at SML speeds. Brass bullets are a real PITA to get to shoot with those powders.