Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Outstanding news

Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
What Bronko 22000 said.
Yep, now folks will shell out 190 dollars to cause the gun to perform like it should have from the factory. It's the Encore story all over again.
Buy a nice Knight rifle and don't look back.
Nothing against Knight rifles, but darn near every one of their rifles requires some kind of re-work. CS has been a pain for some, rather their fault or CS itself. Shimming, "O" rings, vent liners, rough bores, etc.
Over $1,100 for a new Ultra-Lite, most likely requiring some type of modification, or, a Remington Ultimate for just over $600, add $200 permanent fix and for $800-$900 and, you end up with a very capable long range 50cal rifle.

There is no perfect production muzzleloader. They all have some kind of quirk, just like the owners.

Ya know...... small businesses need to make a living too. Arrowhead created a permanent and complete, one time correction.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 04-19-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

well under $1100
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brand...eloader-rifles
Old 04-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The BIG thing you get with the RUM is a massive upgrade path. If it fits a Rem700 it pretty much fits a RUM too. There even 45cal RemAge barrels available that can be installed with simple tools. They are pretty pricey though for that one. CF RemAge barrels fit also and cost way less.

Try to find just a aftermarket trigger for a Knight. Nothing is supported by aftermarket like a Rem700 platform. Not even close.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
And if you look further for the RUM, you'll find it as low as $632. Add another $200 for a breech plug you never have to replace no matter how much you shoot. Unlike the Knight, which will still need some kind of modification. So for still less money, you get an accurate long range muzzleloader, built on an absolutely proven action.

Now to the boys that don't like long range hunting...... First realize that some hunters other than maybe you, hunt over large pieces of agricultural properties. Some states have nothing but an orange pumpkin patch if they are forced to hunt state land. Your style or type of hunting, is not the only style of hunting.

https://grabagun.com/model-700-ultim...rce=igodigital

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 04-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
And if you look further for the RUM, you'll find it as low as $632. Add another $200 for a breech plug you never have to replace no matter how much you shoot. Unlike the Knight, which will still need some kind of modification. So for still less money, you get an accurate long range muzzleloader, built on an absolutely proven action.

Now to the boys that don't like long range hunting...... First realize that some hunters other than maybe you, hunt over large pieces of agricultural properties. Some states have nothing but an orange pumpkin patch if they are forced to hunt state land. Your style or type of hunting, is not the only style of hunting.

https://grabagun.com/model-700-ultim...rce=igodigital
Back to my post on this - its not that I don't like long range hunting. But IMO, and only mine, doing so with a ML requires not only an accurate rifle but also a very good range finder and a intimate knowledge of where your rifle shoots at all ranges (likely every 25 yards once you get out there over 350-400 yards). I just don't have the time or the patience to devote that much effort into it. You guys that do this long range stuff I applaud you. The RUM + the after market BP would seem like a good deal for any interested in long range shooting. Just not for everyone. But at least the thread was posted to let RUM user know what is available to them.
One thing that does seem odd to me is that Rem does not recommend BH209 in this modern rifle!
Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
..........One thing that does seem odd to me is that Rem does not recommend BH209 in this modern rifle!
That's totally understandable, but one has to realize that the RUM is basically a copy of the BP Express, of which the original design was to ignite pellets and it does exceptionally well. Also loose propellants too. The BP Xpress has been around for quite some time and BH wasn't the rage that it is now. I think sometimes we all forget that BH really hasn't been available as long as the other substitutes.

For the guy that just shoots 4 or 5 times to verify his scope prior to hunting, they probably don't need the conversion. Its surprising just how many hunters do just that.
However for the hunter/shooter that shoots quite a few, or many rounds a year, just not for extending their hunting season, this BP change is more than worth the money and time. I can see nothing worse, than a hunter with only one muzz and have the breech plug gas cut just prior to the opener. Sending it back to Remington for a replacement could take 8 weeks or more.

Luke is planning on a replacement design for the UF and I can hardly wait. The change will save me a ton of manual labor.