Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Outstanding news

Old 04-18-2018, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The Remington ML was ahead of its time many years ago. But they have done nothing in the last 5 years to make it a more modern Inline. The Knight Mountaineer and Ultralite are way more advanced in all aspects. Glad to see Luke is helping make it a more practical Inline for those that own one. Most people if not all, know that pellets are about the worst/inconsistent propellant on the market.

Not sure what the warranty is on these guns, but obviously don’t send it back with the modified breech plug in it to be safe.
Tom, I think you may be talking about the wrong rifle. The RUM and the 700ML are two different rifles.

It is really to bad that Remington did not choose to keep the 700ML relevant it was at it's time ahead of the game.

The RUM (Remington Ultra Magnum) was Remington's attempt to become relevant again. It was based after/off the Johnston Ultimate Firearms ML.

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-18-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mentioned this to Hankins Rifle ages ago and he had no interest in making them. Glad Luke stepped up to the plate. The module system is far superior to reusing brass cases. The bolt head is already a .473 so its a super simple conversion.

This type of system is the rage right now for the non-smokers. It can handle extreme peak pressure with ease. You will never get close to those pressures with BH209. It was designed for applications into the 50kpsi range or a tad more.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Banned

This isn't a modern/traditional thing. Its like seeing folks complain about cva's blackhorn209 breech plug. I've seen more complaining that it should be included with the rifle, yet this rifle costs a lot, and the breech plug costs 3x what a cva plug costs, yet it is needed in order the shoot blackhorn209. When a rifle of this "quality" should already be ready to go out of the box.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have BH209 listed in the manual it just seems logical you should include the plug. It wouldn't take much to offer them with 1 plug of your choice but of course CVA pushed WhiteHots for some odd reason. It pretty obvious if you watch their Youtube videos. Knight offers them either way on most of their rifles. FPJ or NFPJ which is better for BH209.

Neither Rem or UF directly approves using BH209 and UF even says not to use it. Wakeman was the only one recommending BH209 in the RUM and he has since backed off....Care to guess why?

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-18-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

so remington designed this rifle for T7 only... Kinda like how cva pushes the whitehots?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
................Neither Rem or UF directly approves using BH209 and UF even says not to use it. Wakeman was the only one recommending BH209 in the RUM and he has since backed off....Care to guess why?
Here's what a member received. Thought I posted it here at one time. Remington is stopping all warrantee work on BP's that have been shooting BH.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. The warranty department stated they had no clue where my gun was due to it not being in their system, even tho they sent UPS to pick it up and had records of it being delivered at their facility. Today I received an email that the gun would be delivered today by the end of day, which the gun showed up via UPS. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I’m curious due to Remington previously telling me I’m fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington’s stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."
Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
so remington designed this rifle for T7 only... Kinda like how cva pushes the whitehots?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go by the manual and not by what some so called tech says. If its in the manual its approved. If its not you are on your own.

CVA techs couldn't even tell me why FFFG/P was not allowed even though Hodgdon allows it in 50cal. While at the same time 3 pellets is fine which is not approved by Hodgdon and makes higher peak pressure.

Seems to me that Rem's manual is pretty clear about what is approved. Its common knowledge the UF was designed for pellets and still holds the patent on the plug.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been reading this post and all the replies on it. I guess if this is what trips your trigger then I say go for it. I on the other hand would not spend that amount of money on that rifle. Good or bad. Shooting ridiculously long ranges with a muzzleloader does not interest me in the least. I got into the black powder game many many years ago. I like getting in close to game which is why I enjoy both traditional rifles and archery. I have one in-line ML just because and for the same reason I have a crossbow. But I would still rather shoot my flinters and caplocks or my vertical bows.
I have no problem with you guys buying these high priced MLs and having fun with them. But it seems that if you spend that much on a rifle it should be able to shoot any BP or substitute without any additional modifications such as a different breech plug.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

What Bronko 22000 said.

Yep, now folks will shell out 190 dollars to cause the gun to perform like it should have from the factory. It's the Encore story all over again.

Buy a nice Knight rifle and don't look back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.