Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn >

Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Rons tests are fine. Do your own testing and submit your finding.
Nobody's suggesting that there's something wrong with Ron's testing, if that might be what you're questioning? His testing is completed exactly the same way with the same materials each and every time.
My part of the discussion concerns those who may have questions with the reported results and possible confusion.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Spike

I have no problem looking at BH209 data chart and understanding the 80/56 line for a 300gr SST shows 2 bullets tested with this load have velocities of 1620/1651 fps.
I look at Ron's test and see how the bullet performs at that speed.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Ron, at what distance would the 80grs represent?
It's not others as you describe in other post - it seems you don't understand.
Distance would be dependent on the shooters powder charge to give him an initial MV. Higher charge of powder, farther the distance.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 52bore
It's not others as you describe in other post - it seems you don't understand.
Distance would be dependent on the shooters powder charge to give him an initial MV. Higher charge of powder, farther the distance.
Rick, I'll be quite frank. First, believe me, I understand what Ron's testing is and why. I also thoroughly understand ballistic charts and programs.
So therefore you have no clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should just stick to continuous changing of the rules for inlines at Friendship, maybe for the seven (7) inline shooters at the next Nationals.

You need to realize that there ARE "others" out there that are reading these posts, many as guests, who DO NOT understand and are not as smart about inline rifles, BC's and velocity as you.

How would any guest understand that a bullet is being shot at 25yds with a 80grs volume and an estimated velocity, that test is supposed to equal a greater charge and velocity at a completely different distance? Without an explanation within the post and test, including a chart, those guest shooters would never know or understand. So it appears you don't understand at all what I'm trying to convey.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason we tried to catch a bullet the first time is because we wanted to see what it looked like. That was our objective. Today is years later, and we have caught many bullets. After catching more than one bullet, it is natural to compare them. Comparing captured bullets is now our objective.

What i do is catch, photograph, and compare bullets. My objective is to first catch a bullet, then photograph it, then compare it to other bullets caught using the same exact method.

Predicting how a bullet will perform at different ranges, and speeds is not an objective of mine.

However, this is an open forum, and members are welcome to write about things they would like to discuss. This is how the discussion of range, and speed get interjected into threads like this one. Most questions are asked in good faith. Me i try as hard as i can to help questioners understand, no matter if the questions aren't about the objective.

Me, i have no control over questions about down range performance. If these questions lead to confusion, there is little i can do about it. Please notice there is typically no discussion of long range bullet performance in the OP. These type discussions develop later in the thread from questions posters ask. I am more than happy to answer any questions i can about the bullet, including long range performance. I am unable to answer questions from visitors, because they cannot ask questions, unless they join the forum.

Catching bullets is not a job for me. Catching bullets is play; is something i would have had great fun with, when i was a child.

_
Old 03-05-2018, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Keep up the good work Ron.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Spike

Yep, George guilty as charged for being asked for my thoughts/suggestions on the NMLRA/NRA In-line matches by the president of the organization. Even as I was the rifle maker for 1st 2 In-line Hunter AGG National Champions. I was a proponent of change for the better.
BTW: A Knight won last year, the 3rd year with a mass produced hunting rifle. After all, it is and always has been called the "In-line 'HUNTER' AGG".

Simple, create 2 additional matches for Custom rifles and change the In-line AGG to only 'mass produced hunting rifles'. That would not only include the out of date mass produced rifles such as White, Austin & Halleck, etc. also todays in-lines CVA, Knight, Remington, Traditions & T/C.
Match 859, Custom (any in-line) can shoot the mid-range match 100, 200, 300.
Match 860, Custom (any in-line) can shoot the M5 long-range match 100, 200, 300, 400, 500.

Better to be known as creating, hosting, supporting, shooting in matches than one that is not..

Last edited by 52bore; 03-06-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 52bore
Yep, George guilty as charged for being asked for my thoughts/suggestions on the NMLRA/NRA In-line matches by the president of the organization. Even as I was the rifle maker for 1st 2 In-line AGG National Champions. I was a proponent of change for the better.
BTW: A Knight won last year, the 3rd year with a mass produced hunting rifle.

Simple, create 2 additional matches for Custom rifles and change the In-line AGG to only 'mass produced hunting rifles'. That would not only include the out of date mass produced rifles such as White, Austin & Halleck, etc. also todays in-lines CVA, Knight, Remington, Traditions & T/C.
Match 859, Custom (any in-line) can shoot the mid-range match 100, 200, 300.
Match 860, Custom (any in-line) can shoot the M5 long-range match 100, 200, 300, 400, 500.

Better to be known as creating, hosting, supporting, shooting in matches than one that is not..
There were a number of shooters that were not happy with the changes made to the inline rules. If you think that it was only myself, then you're sadly mistaken. The numbers of shooters have declined and some of those who didn't shoot, wouldn't shoot because of the rule changes. Oh I remember the rules.... the rules that WOULD NOT HAVE AFFECTED ME, because I'm a senior and could have shot as it had been shot. My only dog in the fight was that it didn't support getting new shooters to the organization.

Its NEW SHOOTERS that the organization isn't attracting. Set it up for new younger inline hunters, instead of using old ways. Its like asking a kid today to use a rotary telephone. It isn't working and won't work. You've read the articles in Muzzle Blast and one is on the organizations site. Over 3,000,000 hunters us an inline rifle for hunting, but how many were on the line?

You've always looked at me as an enemy, when I tried harder than anyone else, including you, the organization, or the president, to get shooters to notice. Look over some of the old posts I made with the flyers. Check out other sporting sites, Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, etc.,and even the organizations home state, Indiana. See who was advertising and promoting the organization. So when you say I might not support the organization or its shoots, its totally incorrect. I tried explaining that to your president, who promptly offered to "personally write" me a check for my dues.

So the Knight that you say is a mass produced hunting rifle, was that a .50cal? I was informed that the Knight that you're suggesting was a .45cal fast twist rifle. Knight does NOT list .45cal fast twist rifles on their web site. That's hardly a "mass produced" rifle, when they don't even list it on their web site.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/produc...muzzleloaders/

Certainly not the Knight 500, which was considered a custom.
Description.... from the Knight web site:
A competition muzzleloader that can be used as a hunting rifle, the Knight 500 Muzzleloader is one serious long range black powder rifle. At 500 yard MOA you can be assured your shot will hit the intended target at impressive distances. With a Full Plastic Jacket ignition system the Knight 500 will shoot in any conditions you may find yourself in. It sports an impressive 28” handcrafted Green Mountain® barrel and a Boyd’s Custom Stock with an Aluminum Bedding Block that helps to free float the barrel for even more accuracy. The stock also features an adjustable cheek piece so no matter what position your firing in you have a clear view straight down range.

Its fruitless to get into the IDENTICAL rifle debate, so I'll stay completely away.

I like the M5, GREAT creation. I personally think its outstanding. However for the hunter class, no one, not even you, can tell rather a mass produced hunting rifle has been modified, and that's a contributing factor. There's no physical way you could have handled my last T/C Pro Hunter and identified that it was modified or not and it was HIGHLY modified.

IMO and that of a couple others you also know personally, creating all the different classifications only leads to more classifications and/or further concerns. You'd be better off having two classifications.
1) Rifles which shoot land riding bullets.
2) Rifles that shoot an encased bullet.
No more arguing over what's a custom or not, no difference between .45's or .50's. Heck, that would put you guys shooting PP in a great position.

Do not get the misunderstanding that I'm bashing or calling Ron's testing out. If ANYONE is believing that, they're totally wrong. There has been confusion by shooters, as well recognized in quite a few posts. Up until this last rounds of posts, there still were people with some confusion. Ron has settled that himself perfectly.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

Waugh! listen to you pilgrims! At ronnyvoo, you run what you brung!