Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn >

Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady 300g SST -- 80g Blackhorn

The 300 grain SST bullet used in this test, was provided by twild. Eighty grain of Blackhorn was the propellant. The bullet was shot into the trap (photo) placed 25 yard away. Today there was quite a bit less snow than when the photo of the trap was taken.

The bullet was captured by the fifth jug. The tip was held by the second jug. The small piece of lead was found in the third jug. The first two jugs were blowed up good. The third, and fourth jugs had holes in, and out. The fifth jug only had the entrance hole. The last jug was undamaged; will be used in the next shoot.

_
Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, at what distance would the 80grs represent?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The shooting this morning was at 4900'. It was about 30°. Humidity was about 78%. Pressure was about 29.53. Range was 25 yard. Velocity at the front of the jugs was about 1543 fps per information provided by Western Powders.

One sees on the calculated chart, if the mv is 1900 fps, and all conditions are the same, the bullet will be about the speed of 1543 fps at 150 yard.

Now, my question is, why in the world does the old guy have to do all the work here?

_
It appears you're doing about 98%, just asking for the other 2%.

Many might not realize if they just wondered on to the site, that you were shooting 80grs by weight, as quite a few only use volume.

IMO, for what that's worth, the chart should always accompany the test.

Thanks for the testing.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
....Many might not realize if they just wondered on to the site, that you were shooting 80grs by weight, as quite a few only use volume..........
You are misinformed. All measurements are in volume, unless specified as weight.

_
Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are misinformed. All measurements are in volume, unless specified as weight.
_

The Western site http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf shows 80grs VOLUME of BH209, 300gr SST having a muzzle velocity (sabot dependent) of 1,620 or 1,651fps. So at 25yds you actually shot a bullet and charge that according to Western has a muzzle velocity of 1620/1651, correct?

The chart shows 1,900fps, so one must then guess that you used that velocity to compare it to a 100/105gr volume charge?

Not knocking your testing.........
Old 03-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correct. However, i figured Western Powders was some optimistic, so i guessed a mv of 1600 fps, and this results in a 25 yard velocity of 1543 fps.
_
Great. Now again.... I'm in no way knocking your tests or methods, on the contrary I applaud them highly.

I see a lot of non-members (guests) show up on both sites quite often. Many of those may totally misunderstand the testing data, even with the chart included.

Its when they see a velocity of 1,600fps in the test, then a chart showing 1,900fps that can confuse them.
If an explanation indicated that the chart was meant to parallel a 100gr volume charge, which is why the 1,900fps velocity was used in the chart, it might very well help some understand.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The confusing chart is deleted, as is any reference to velocity. My confusion remains.

_

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-03-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The confusing chart is deleted, as is any reference to velocity. My confusion remains.
_
Ron, those who have been following your testing might understand.

However others that haven't been following right along, only understand that you shot a bullet at 25yds, with a muzzle velocity of approximately 1600fps using 80grs volume of BH209. Thus showing what the bullet does using that charge at that range.

At the same time, I would suggest most of those reading might be wondering why the test was only done with 80grs, when the majority of hunters use charges of 100+grs.

If you're intent is ONLY to identify what a bullet does at 25yds with an 80gr volume charge, then the test is what it is.

However, if there's an attempt to show how a bullet might perform at any other or longer ranges using any other charge and velocity, an explanation should accompany any chart or the reasoning.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

80-90gr of Blackhorn is the sweet-spot for finding the optimum performance level of this SST bullet.

Every ML bullet on store shelves has it's own delivery sweet spot, even the roundballs I had custom-made, to help me produce two-hole deer harvests at 50-75 yards.

But like any bullet, placement means everything in job performances.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

Rons tests are fine. Do your own testing and submit your finding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.