Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Difficult Iron Sights (for me) >

Difficult Iron Sights (for me)

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Difficult Iron Sights (for me)

Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Difficult Iron Sights (for me)

In spite of it being a real winter this year, i have been able to shoot a rifle, most every day of 2018. Mostly i have shot iron sights, in hopes i could find a hunting load. This has been quite frustrating. So far i have shot 4 different rifles with iron sights, and a few different loads. Not once has a rifle with an iron sight produced a target that tickled.

The iron sighted Omega Dream Season has an FP rear sight; the scoped Dream Season has a 1X scope.

Here lately have been shooting a load that seems it could be the load i take hunting next season. The 250g Deep Curl looked good in tests, and was available for 25¢ each, so i purchased several. Powder charge is 90g Blackhorn, Sabot is a crush rib. Primer is Federal 209A.
The bottom target was shot a couple days ago using the scoped Dream Season. Three shots starting with a cold squeaky clean barrel, at a range of 99 yard. The top target was Shot this morning using the Dream Season with iron sights. Three shots starting with a cold squeaky clean barrel at a range of 100 yard.

_
Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bead type front sights never worked well for me.

i prefer a patridge type front sight. Put the top of the front sight on the bottom of the bullseye.

Recently put a Williams tang peep on my TC New Englander. The front sight is a Skinner patridge type. That gun makes 2 inch groups at 78 yards with patched round ball.

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html
Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Banned

yep, I hate the bead sights. Just to thick and hard to focus us the bulls eye.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use a 6 O'clock hold for either partridge style or bead sights. Ron that open sight target isn't too awful bad. That flyer just may not have been your eyes' fault.
Next time shoot a few more at the target so you get a better idea of the rifle's capability with that load.
All us old foogys get a hic-up once in a while using those open sights.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett