Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your tax return

Old 02-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your tax return

Well what's on the muzzleloading agenda for the tax refund?

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 02-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

1-66 twist inline. Always wanted one and my piggy bank is almost full of quarters (about $300 there, plus another $180 I received at Christmas).
Just not sure if it will be a new T/C Mountaineer, CVA Accura, or just rebarreling my (only 150 shots fired) Knight Vision.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Spike

Well, it's not a muzzleloader, but I did just pick up a twenty year old Model 70 in .300 Win Magnum. It's nothing special and I haven't even shot it yet. Maybe next week.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Browning Bar gas-action short mag (300) that's the cats meow.
Congrats on your new acquisition. But my 24/7-ailing right shoulder prefers the softer recoil version.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
1-66 twist inline. Always wanted one and my piggy bank is almost full of quarters (about $300 there, plus another $180 I received at Christmas).
Just not sure if it will be a new T/C Mountaineer, CVA Accura, or just rebarreling my (only 150 shots fired) Knight Vision.
Who makes a 1:66 twist inline?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Nobody I know Steve, except custom builders.
Shoot me a PM, if you know of anyone not named Jeff. I'd like to get 2-3 estimates on transforming a 1-28 twist to 1-66.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, I'm finally going to order a new stock. My current McMillan thumbhole is a fine stock, but I've always preferred the more vertical grip stocks. Most likely because I've owned and shot Encore platform rifles so much.
So tomorrow, Monday, I believe I'm ordering another McMillan stock, which will be the Game Warden. It has much less drop at the comb and has the vertical grip. I'll be ordering the adjustable cheek piece also, including a spacer to lengthen the LOP to 14". Its also nearly identical in weight compared to the thumbhole. Its design also lends itself to be a better prone shooting rifle combination.
I had originally thought of an A-5, but found out it really pays to talk to the experts. After a very good conversation last week with CS at McMillan, they talked me out of the A-5, mostly because of its 5#+ weight.
Now the wait..............
Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Well what's on the muzzleloading agenda for the tax refund?
I really had not thought a lot about it until you put this post up and then this appeared...

Gonna have to get one of these!

Nitrate finish on the outside of a GM SS barrel.

I have several parts that have been Nitrate and I really like them. The finish is extremely durable... and wow! does it clean easy as well as protect.

This is a Nitrate treated bolt that I have been using for 3 years now... It shows no sign of wear and tear...

Black nitride coating
A black nitride surface is very corrosion resistant, it doesn't corrode underneath as chroming or rust through as parkerizing does and is very durable. It is NOT black paint or a surface coating.

This link will provide information about the hardening process - using the Nitrate system...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
Old 02-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I really had not thought a lot about it until you put this post up and then this appeared...

Gonna have to get one of these!

Nitrate finish on the outside of a GM SS barrel.

I have several parts that have been Nitrate and I really like them. The finish is extremely durable... and wow! does it clean easy as well as protect.

This is a Nitrate treated bolt that I have been using for 3 years now... It shows no sign of wear and tear...

Black nitride coating
A black nitride surface is very corrosion resistant, it doesn't corrode underneath as chroming or rust through as parkerizing does and is very durable. It is NOT black paint or a surface coating.

This link will provide information about the hardening process - using the Nitrate system...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
That'll be nice
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Nobody I know Steve, except custom builders.
Shoot me a PM, if you know of anyone not named Jeff. I'd like to get 2-3 estimates on transforming a 1-28 twist to 1-66.
I don't know of anyone either, thought you may. I doubt you will find one since that is a RB twist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.