Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which CVA Accura to Choose? >

Which CVA Accura to Choose?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Which CVA Accura is the best compromise of features for deer hunting?
CVA Accura V2 Long Range 30" barrel
0%
CVA Accura V2 28" barrel
55.56%
CVA Accura V2 Plains Rifle 27" barrel
0%
CVA Accura V2 Mountain Rifle 25" barrel
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Which CVA Accura to Choose?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Which CVA Accura to Choose?

What have you who are experienced hunting with inline muzzleloaders found to be the best tradeoff of length, range, and weight? 25" MR, 27" PR. 28" V2, 30" LR?

I know that the Accura is made in 25", 27", 28", and 30" barrel lengths. Most of the centerfires I hunt with are about the same length as the 25" barreled MR. Also, I'm not getting any younger, so lighter is better than heavier. But I'm use to accurate, flat shooting guns, so even the slight velocity/point blank range advantage of the 30" barrel long range is enticing. I figure the 30" is good to about 195 yards and the 25" about 25-30 yards less.

I plan to buy a CVA Accura later this year. It will be for deer hunting. Where I hunt there is a variety of terrain. A pipe line right of way where you can see a good 700 yards, a field where you can see maybe 150 yards, and wooded areas where you can't see further than 65 yards. I've taken deer here from 65 yards to 300 yards with my centerfire rifles.

Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 01-25-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never again.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before I give my answer I will say that you will get a lot of grief about CVA muzzleloaders on here. Some guys flat out hate them for whatever reason. But you won't get it from me.
Now my choice would be the Accura V2 28" stainless. But only because I can hold it steadier then the MR. Check out both and see what you like better. As for accuracy, each muzzleloader has its own favorite load combination and figuring out has always been fun for me. But as a general rule I've found that Hornady 300 gr XTPs shot great and performed well on game. Another, but more expensive bullet, is the 295 gr Barnes EZ. I would say that any Accura you buy will easily have enough accuracy to humanely kill a deer out to 200 yards.
But honestly if you want any better accuracy you'd be better served getting a bolt action muzzy. There are a couple guys on here that shoot their rifles out to beyond my current capabilities with amazing accuracy.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Plains rifle is 28" according to CVA. You wont gain much velocity from anything longer than 25". Maybe 25fps per inch depending on the load.

The Optima V2 pretty much splits the difference. Its nearly as light as a MR, about the same as the PR and has a 26" barrel for around $100 less. Plus you can get iron sights or a TH stock for it if you need.

Plenty of long range wins and great scores at Friendship's Inline Match have come from 27" barrel rifles but very few were break actions of any brand. Long range inline shooting is dominated by bolt actions and a handful of total custom Omega builds.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-25-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Spike

Unless you need to comply with western rules, I'll say the 28" stainless. Stock type is up to you.

I own a few muzzy rifles, some with 28" barrels and some with 26". All are in-lines. One of these is an Accura stainless/camo standard stock and I love the gun. We all know we need to wear hearing protection when shooting but I am going to say that from the hearing comfort standpoint guns with the longer barrels are easier on the ears even with good muffs being worn. That couple extra inches does a lot to put the blast further in front of you. The longer barrels also help lessen barrel jump or climb when the gun is fired. I just know that shooting one of my 26" barreled guns weighing roughly the same as my 28" guns is somewhat less comfortable using an identical charge and bullet.

I don't think you'll gain much in the fps department with a 30" barrel other than weight. I can't address long range [300 yards plus] accuracy with a 30" barrel for lack of first hand experience. Some may argue that a 26 inch gun goes thru the woods easier but I have never found any problems with the 28's that I use.

How the gun fits you can come into play too so be sure to shoulder a bunch of different brands before starting to settle on one.

I'm one of those "inside 100 yard" hunters but I also enjoy punching paper at 100 yards. I don't go beyond that because I'm general too damned lazy to walk down any further to pin up a target. I have no doubt that a 28" Accura can be shot out to 300 yards with a proper load and bullet. I have no doubt that a 26" or 27" or 30" can do the same, but I like my 28" for the reasons I mentioned.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the "western" rules also require exposed ignition and open sites. You wont be able to use open sites on the MR or PR. The comb on the stock is too high. I dont think they even offer either of those in a PACNW edition either.

The Optima V2 can fill all those roles by simply swapping a few parts like a breach plug and bushing. CVA even sells the TH stock separately if those trip your trigger. That boat paddle stock on the Accura V2 is just hideous and the rifle is getting close to a lb more than the Optima V2.

I would opt for the Optima V2 nitride with iron sights. Buy a DNZ mount with the money you saved vs the PR or Accura. Its a better mount than the DURASIGHT mount. You will probably still have close to enough left to buy a TH stock or additional breach plug too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

diffently the 30" barrel with long distance . i've got a traditions ldr & have killed deer out to 286 yrds & they dropped like a bad habit. but if i am stalking or in thick brush i'd go with a 26 " barrel. looking to get a traditions back country rifle . but have not heard any reviews about them. i do love my ldr striker fire
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Spike

I'm the OP.

To clarify:

I don't use any centerfire cartridge rifle past 300 yards and I wouldn't use any muzzle loader past 200 yards.

I'm in Texas, so I can used a closed breech and a scope.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have the goose neck Nitride Accura... It's my favorite Accura combo. Aim's very nice and is built like a tank!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a scoped Optima V-2 stainless 26 " with a thumbhole stock. I think it is more accurate then I am. According to the Triple 7 Magnum box, it will launch a 250 grain bullet at 2,000+ fps using two of the 60 grain pellets. That is enough for me, I limit it to 200 yards and have not taken a deer that far out yet. I like it much more then the shorter CVA Wolf, it seems to fit me better. I do not carry it long distances or I might go with the Wolf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.