HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Ball Point Bullet Captured (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/416753-ball-point-bullet-captured.html)

ronlaughlin 01-04-2018 11:19 AM

Ball Point Bullet Captured

BuckDoeHunter sent these ball point bullets to be captured. Trap is a carpet sample glued to a piece of 3/8" plywood in front of six water jugs backed up by a thick phone book. Distance to the trap was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80 grain Blackhorn. A crush rib sabot was used in an Omega rifle; primer was a W209.

The bullet completely destroyed the front two jugs; blew the side out of the third jug, and went through the fourth, and fifth jugs. It bounced off the sixth jug, and was found on the horse under the fifth jug. The sixth jug seemed undamaged, but when examined it was found to have been hit hard enough to cause a slight leak, and was ruined for further use. The bullet retained it's weight.

_

rafsob 01-04-2018 11:49 AM

Nice report on this bullet. Not familiar with it, but it did a job on the date jugs.

ronlaughlin 01-05-2018 10:59 AM

50 grain Blackhorn

This morning the ball point bullet was captured again, however this time 50 grain Blackhorn was burned. Same Omega rifle, same crush rib sabot , and same W209 primer. Same 25 yard distance, and same 3/8" plywood with a carpet sample glued to it

The bullet split the back of the front jug, did more damage to the second jug i.e. destroyed it, went through the third, and fourth jugs, and bounced off the fifth jug, which was left leaking, standing on the horse. It was kinda unusual to find the second jug more damaged than the first jug. The bullet was not readily found, being in the snow. The metal detector was used to locate the bullet in the snow. Where the bullet was found is marked by the red X in the photo.

The bullet weighed 282.7 grain before it was shot; now it weighs 282.1 grain. It appears the ball weighs about 0.6 grain.

Yesterday i wrote

Well, i am 99% sure the bullet wouldn't work if the charge were 50 grain Blackhorn.
Obviously i was 100% wrong.

_

BarnesAddict 01-05-2018 12:13 PM

I believe that bullet is made here in SW Michigan.

ronlaughlin 01-05-2018 01:12 PM

_

bronko22000 01-05-2018 03:50 PM

That's some nice expansion/penetration. A "before" pic would have been nice to add Ron. Thanks for another good report.

ronlaughlin 01-05-2018 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4324862)
.....A "before" pic would have been nice.........

Evidently you missed the first line in the OP; click on the link.

BuckDoeHunter
sent these ball point bullets to be captured.

_

Muskyhunter1 01-06-2018 04:03 AM

I think it is odd you are using a crush rib sabot yet the bullet on the left displays evidence of rifling marks. How is the accuracy of that load? It almost looks like the sabot is beginning to fail.

ronlaughlin 01-06-2018 04:35 AM

The rifling marks were made by using a sizing die. The die was made from a barrel cut off. The bullet sent me was sized to fit BuckDoeHunter' 45 caliber rifle. To shoot the bullet in my Omega required a sabot. Not to worry, the sabot isn't about to fail.

Good catch! ☺

_

bronko22000 01-08-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4324864)
Evidently you missed the first line in the OP; click on the link.
_

I didn't think that was a link. a bit different then the poly tipped bullets but looks like it functions nicely. But how well does it write?? :confused: