Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA & Traditions warranty, quality & Service >

CVA & Traditions warranty, quality & Service

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA & Traditions warranty, quality & Service

Old 12-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default CVA & Traditions warranty, quality & Service

Now I would like to give credit where credit is due.

Awhile after the CVA Accura LR came out I bought one from CVA. When I got it I proceeded to clean it. A new bronze brush with 10 strokes would be cut to pieces and have no resistance what so ever. I cleaned and cleaned but the barrel would not come clean. I called CVA and expressed my concerns, they were not as concerned at the time. I did not have to shim the breech plug bushing.
I took the gun out and shot it, it was a clean shooting gun but a POS. Trying to clean it was even worse. I called CVA and expressed my concerns again. This time they said send it back to them. When UPS returned my gun wouldn't you know it was a new one, cleaned right up and shot nice. I would recommend a CVA gun for great Warranty, quality, and Customer Service. Also the Breech Plugs actually last awhile.

A few years later I bought a TRADITIONS Strikefire black with stainless barrel. It cleaned up nicely and when I tried to shoot it guess what, POS. After quite a while and a nice supply of targets I contacted Traditions, told them of my problems. They said to send the gun too them with some of the bullets and sabots that I used along with the scope I was using on the gun. I got together a number of bullets and sabots that I was using and informed them that I was using 110 grains of BH 209. I also put my targets on a disk so they could see exactly what I was talking about with the various bullets. Boxed it all up and sent it to Traditions.
It wasn't long after that their gunsmith called me and informed me that he had shot the gun and came up with the same results as me. He even tested it with some bullets Traditions sells and said the results were still the same. He told me that they were sending me a new gun, but instead of a black stock, they were sending me one with a camo stock. Also with a lot of shooting their breech plugs last about a year and the gun did not require any shimming to make it shoot clean. The new gun shot very well.
I think I would also recommend Traditions because of their Warranty, Quality, and Customer Service.

I know my luck of buying a muzzleloader runs at the low end of the stick, I am 67 years old and I think buying new muzzleloaders Is a thing of the past.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-02-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Typical Buck

t/c once had a excellant warranty program & when s&w bought them they now are a pos to deal with.for god sake they don't even want or will to send out a catalog. i however did end up buying 2 traditions muzzleloaders.the vortex ldr & g4 pursuit. love them both. have not had a issue with either gun. ask them for a catalog & you get one not like t/c LOOK ON LINE is what you get. i see traditions came out the the stryker fire in the mountain rifle. & yet to see one. instead of a 30" barrel you get a 26" barrel great for stalking game.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience is the Knight extreme, elite, and mountaineer all shoot Blackhorn powder reliably without modification. TC Omega rifles shoot Blackhorn powder reliably without modification.

The CVA Accura, and the CVA Optima both require a breech plug modification, to reliably ignite Blackhorn powder.

_
Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by d.winsor

A few years later I bought a TRADITIONS Strikefire black with stainless barrel.
Did you ever have issues with the strikerfire system not igniting the primer? I was thinking about getting a Strikerfire LDR myself.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Other than having grouping issues when I first bought it, I haven't had any problems, I had the black stock model. I called Traditions and they told me to send it to them with scope on the gun and bullets used. I also sent a disk with my targets @ 100 yards. They checked the gun and sent me a new camo stock model asap.
I have never experienced any type of problem with the ignition of the primer or the powder charge. I consider it a very reliable gun. My gun likes the Barnes TMZ 290 grain with the original Sabot that comes with it and 115 grains of Blackhorn 209, I average about 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards.
It is a clean shooting gun out of box, The breech plug installs and removes easily and quickly and requires no modifications to shoot Blackhorn 209.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Traditions has not offered a stainless barrel in ages. Its chromoly with a cerakote type finish and they wont warranty the coating if it rusts according to several posts ive seen.

Primers are also hard on the alloy frame since it has no steel bushing like a CVA. Traditions would be the absolute last ML i would ever buy.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-24-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

You are right about the strikefire not being stainless, I do have to say I prefer my CVA Accura LR, but as stated I have no reason to discount the strikefire, I guess its a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:45 AM
Typical Buck

i myself have never had a issue with ignition & have never heard of anybody with ignition on striker fires. click / bang & thats all she wrote.i love my ldr & as for my pursuit same thing.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
If Traditions Inc were the only ML manufacturer on the planet, I'd quit patronizing the sport.
Why? I never had problems with Traditions inline MLers.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:19 PM
Spike

I should get my CVA Optima V2 SS Camo on the Fourth, I wanna see the Quality of it and I will try and post some pictures of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.