HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/416625-knight-quality-warranty-service.html)

d.winsor 12-22-2017 01:12 PM

Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????

In all honesty I have to say that any time I sent an e-mail to knight that they were very quick to send me a shipping tag to send my gun back to them to service. Obviously as you will see, that was not enough to pacify me.

I bought a Knight Mountaineer 9/9/16, I will try to keep this short. Upon receiving it I took the breech plug out, when I put it back in the bolt would not close. Sent it back to knight, they checked bolt and sent back. Again, I removed breech plug and after reinstalling bolt would not close again. Got my socket and drive and forced breech plug to turn in again until it stopped, had to do this twice more and bolt would close to battery. I sent gun back to knight and explained above. They ran a tap in the breech threads of the barrel and said it was fixed and shipped gun back to me. When I got my gun back the Remington 3 screw trigger assembly had been removed and a knight trigger assy with 5 lb pull was on my gun. Breech plugs were still bad. I sent gun back and told them I wanted my Remington trigger assy back and the breech plugs fixed or barrel replaced. A Representative of Knight called me and told me they could see nothing wrong with the breech threads, also that the trigger assembly was the correct one for my gun, they sent the gun back. I figured that was the end of my "WARRANTY", they were not interested in the fact that someone had stolen a nice trigger assembly and put on a defective one. Ultimately, I had to buy a trigger assembly from Numrich as the one knight gave me would not hold an adjustment, never could get trigger pull below 4 lb. Then I started shooting the gun, POS. Groups all over the place could barely hold a 3-inch group at 100 yds., and that was with a new breech plug. I tried numerous bullets, sabots and powder loads, I have a CVA Accura V2 & LR, a T/C Encore Pro hunter and a Traditions Strikefire. Any of them would make the knight look sick. Since I honestly couldn't sell the gun as it was I bought a new barrel thinking I could at least salvage something of the gun. When I got the new barrel the little plunger on the side of the barrel that releases the bolt fell apart and the shaft fell into the gun. Luckily the bolt was out and I put some blue Loctite on the little threads and put it back together. Now I feel I am ready to shoot, not so fast. Someone on the forum said a knight bare primer breech plug would only get about 100 shots with 110 grains of BH. I checked my breech plug and with less than 100 shots Flash hole was toast. GM54-120 put me onto Bestill and I as I couldn't afford as many breech plugs from knight (and not wanting to support knight) as I would need, I sent my gun to Bestill. Also, I asked him to take a look at my bolt operation as it sticks when trying to pull it back so you can load another primer. A great effort is required most of the time.
Anybody want to argue with me as to if knight builds a quality gun or not. Not only is their service bad, you may not get your same gun back after they "work on it". Sorry part is management doesn't care.
Bestill could probably have built me a custom with the money I have in this gun.
In any event I am in a rage, I did have to buy a trigger assembly, a barrel & fix it, a decent breech plug and have my bolt looked at and hopefully repaired.
I gag whenever anyone says Knight makes a quality product. Nuf said.

With a great amount of luck, when I get the barrel back and am able to shoot it, maybe, just maybe the gun will be a shooter. There will be no excuses if it is not as there is nothing else to fix.

1874sharpsshooter 12-22-2017 01:48 PM

Stick with CVA. You will be much happier

GoexBlackhorn 12-22-2017 02:30 PM

The barrel on my Knight Vision is a-bit undersized. Have a hard time cleaning the bore with patch and bore brush. Tight as can be.

Other than that, I'm very happy with Knight. Thanks for the heads-up on the Knight bare-primer breechplug life expectancy with hot loads. I wasn't aware they are so short-lived. Will keep an eye on the hole slowly enlarging. Takes me a few years to accumulate 100 shots on any individual ML I have. I never use more than 100gr of powder and surely not a hot-igniter powder like Blackhorn anymore.

sabotloader 12-22-2017 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by d.winsor (Post 4323658)
In all honesty I have to say that any time I sent an e-mail to knight that they were very quick to send me a shipping tag to send my gun back to them to service. Obviously as you will see, that was not enough to pacify me.

I bought a Knight Mountaineer 9/9/16, I will try to keep this short. Upon receiving it I took the breech plug out, when I put it back in the bolt would not close. Sent it back to knight, they checked bolt and sent back. Again, I removed breech plug and after reinstalling bolt would not close again. Got my socket and drive and forced breech plug to turn in again until it stopped, had to do this twice more and bolt would close to battery. I sent gun back to knight and explained above. They ran a tap in the breech threads of the barrel and said it was fixed and shipped gun back to me. When I got my gun back the Remington 3 screw trigger assembly had been removed and a knight trigger assy with 5 lb pull was on my gun.

Knight has never used a Remington 3 screw trigger. in fact a
Remington trigger will not work in a Knight.

I think they removed the original Knight 3 screw trigger and replaced it with a new Timney trigger.
These are the old Knight triggers

The trigger on the right is probably the trigger you had...

If this is the trigger you now have it is a much better trigger than the older copies of the Timney

If you have the new red trigger in your rifle Knight did you a favor... it is a much better trigger than the original. It is also a 3 screw trigger. 2 of the screws a vary obvious - one on the back and one on the front. The third screw is on the front also above the first screw. If you look close you will see a very small hole that a small Allen wrench inserts in to - to adjust 'over travel' which rarely needs adjusting.

Breech plugs were still bad. I sent gun back and told them I wanted my Remington trigger assy back and the breech plugs fixed or barrel replaced. A Representative of Knight called me and told me they could see nothing wrong with the breech threads, also that the trigger assembly was the correct one for my gun, they sent the gun back. I figured that was the end of my "WARRANTY", they were not interested in the fact that someone had stolen a nice trigger assembly and put on a defective one. Ultimately, I had to buy a trigger assembly from Numrich as the one knight gave me would not hold an adjustment, never could get trigger pull below 4 lb. Then I started shooting the gun, POS. Groups all over the place could barely hold a 3-inch group at 100 yds., and that was with a new breech plug. I tried numerous bullets, sabots and powder loads, I have a CVA Accura V2 & LR, a T/C Encore Pro hunter and a Traditions Strikefire. Any of them would make the knight look sick. Since I honestly couldn't sell the gun as it was I bought a new barrel thinking I could at least salvage something of the gun. When I got the new barrel the little plunger on the side of the barrel that releases the bolt fell apart and the shaft fell into the gun. Luckily the bolt was out and I put some blue Loctite on the little threads and put it back together. Now I feel I am ready to shoot, not so fast. Someone on the forum said a knight bare primer breech plug would only get about 100 shots with 110 grains of BH. I checked my breech plug and with less than 100 shots Flash hole was toast. GM54-120 put me onto Bestill and I as I couldn't afford as many breech plugs from knight (and not wanting to support knight) as I would need, I sent my gun to Bestill. Also, I asked him to take a look at my bolt operation as it sticks when trying to pull it back so you can load another primer. A great effort is required most of the time.
Anybody want to argue with me as to if knight builds a quality gun or not. Not only is their service bad, you may not get your same gun back after they "work on it". Sorry part is management doesn't care.
Bestill could probably have built me a custom with the money I have in this gun.
In any event I am in a rage, I did have to buy a trigger assembly, a barrel & fix it, a decent breech plug and have my bolt looked at and hopefully repaired.
I gag whenever anyone says Knight makes a quality product. Nuf said.

With a great amount of luck, when I get the barrel back and am able to shoot it, maybe, just maybe the gun will be a shooter. There will be no excuses if it is not as there is nothing else to fix.
To bad you are having these problem - it is really not the norm... And you are aware if you do not put the bolt back together correctly with have point not set in the detent you will not be able to close the bolt.

ronlaughlin 12-22-2017 04:52 PM

New Mountaineer Ultralight

My new rifle came in November. Trigger pull of the red Timney trigger was 3½ pounds, so i adjusted it until it was a perfect
pounds. It is wonderful. It does a two foot drop to concrete without letting go.

The Quick Release Knight Rifle Detent Screw came apart whilst shooting first time out, but luck was good, and somehow i found the
loose part. Hard to understand why it was loose, but now it is back together, and working good.

Knight breech plugs with the brazed vent wear ridiculously quick. It seems a plug without the brazed vent liner would last about
three times longer. Carbide end mills, and a carbide spotting drill allowed me to remove the very hard brazed vent liner.
Then a 10-32 tap was ruined chasing the threads so a new removable vent liner could be used. The next step was shim the primer socket with a 0.005" shim to correct the slightly loose head space. Now there is zero blow by using W209 primer. The bolt opens easily after firing, and doesn't get dirty with soot. Now the breech plug with a removable vent liner, and zero blow by should be good for a jillion shots. ☺

The rifle is plenty accurate, and is a joy to carry, but does weigh more than the advertised six pounds. It has been carried
into the field 22 times this month. Today i found a real nice heavy antlered buck that a herd of coyotes totally ate, and
saw a hot lion track in the fresh snow about 2½ mile north of the Sugar Shack, East of 385.

_

lemoyne 12-22-2017 05:23 PM

It seems that to have a good Knight any more you have to struggle a while first. Did not used to be that way.

d.winsor 12-22-2017 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4323676)
Knight has never used a Remington 3 screw trigger. in fact a
Remington trigger will not work in a Knight.

I think they removed the original Knight 3 screw trigger and replaced it with a new Timney trigger.
These are the old Knight triggers

The trigger on the right is probably the trigger you had...

If this is the trigger you now have it is a much better trigger than the older copies of the Timney

If you have the new red trigger in your rifle Knight did you a favor... it is a much better trigger than the original. It is also a 3 screw trigger. 2 of the screws a vary obvious - one on the back and one on the front. The third screw is on the front also above the first screw. If you look close you will see a very small hole that a small Allen wrench inserts in to - to adjust 'over travel' which rarely needs adjusting.

To bad you are having these problem - it is really not the norm... And you are aware if you do not put the bolt back together correctly with have point not set in the detent you will not be able to close the bolt.

The triggers that you said were the old ones is the trigger that they installed in my gun. The trigger they took off as per your post Mon Aug 27, 2012 you called it a Remington Walker trigger. Thread titled "Adjusting Mountaineer Trigger" I saved it for reference if I had to adjust my trigger. But trigger pull was 3 lb and so good that I was not going to fool with it. I did not buy the Mountaineer from Knight, I bought it from Sportsman Warehouse, truthfully I think I got an older gun, On the new barrel the specifications Concerning the breech plug and the barrel threads and the area around it were much tighter. I was using a 3/8" Deepwell to install and remove the breech plug in the old barrel. I Had to go to a 1/4" deepwell so my socket wouldn't be shoved off the breech plug as I installed it.

Yes I am aware that the detent has to be in the right place, thanks. One problem I am having now is after the bolt is taken out of battery, most of the time you can't pull it back to remove the spent primer and install a new primer. The fired primer is not stuck in the breech plug or the bolt face either. The bolt will move back and then locks up, it takes a lot of effort and the little bolt release on the side that allows you to take the bolt out, takes a beating when the bolt comes back.

One other note: Knight didn't do me any favors regardless of what type of trigger Assembly they replaced mine with, as the trigger was not functional and dangerous in my opinion. That is why I bought a trigger Assembly from Numrich. Also The trigger assembly I bought looked exactly like the ones that you said were the old ones.

I did not buy the barrel from Numrich, I called Knight and asked them if their barrel kits they sell were from current production run barrels, they said yes. It killed me to do it, but I didn't want to chance getting an old "New" barrel. I bought the new barrel from Knight!! Go Figure.

sabotloader 12-23-2017 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by d.winsor (Post 4323685)
The triggers that you said were the old ones is the trigger that they installed in my gun. The trigger they took off as per your post Mon Aug 27, 2012 you called it a Remington Walker trigger. Thread titled "Adjusting Mountaineer Trigger" I saved it for reference if I had to adjust my trigger. But trigger pull was 3 lb and so good that I was not going to fool with it.

You are correct I probably did because it adjusts just like the Walker trigger. I do apologize if I miss-lead you on that.

I did not buy the Mountaineer from Knight, I bought it from Sportsman Warehouse, truthfully I think I got an older gun, On the new barrel the specifications Concerning the breech plug and the barrel threads and the area around it were much tighter. I was using a 3/8" Deepwell to install and remove the breech plug in the old barrel.
Gosh! I have never been able to use a 3/8" drive to remove the BP - but in all honesty I do not even remember trying. I have always used a 1/4" drive with extension and 7/16" deep socket and they just barely fit.

[quote] I Had to go to a 1/4" deepwell so my socket wouldn't be shoved off the breech plug as I installed it.

Yes I am aware that the detent has to be in the right place, thanks. One problem I am having now is after the bolt is taken out of battery, most of the time you can't pull it back to remove the spent primer and install a new primer. The fired primer is not stuck in the breech plug or the bolt face either. The bolt will move back and then locks up, it takes a lot of effort and the little bolt release on the side that allows you to take the bolt out, takes a beating when the bolt comes back.
Could you try this... remove the hammer assembly from the bolt. Install the bolt in the rifle and work the bolt. It should open/close handle drop down with no effort at all.

This is also a good test for the depth of the breech plug... if it is not seated in the barrel deep enough the bolt (without hammer assembly) will insert and draw back just fine but it will not just drop down to the fully closed position as the bolt shroud will run into the breech plug nut.

This is also a problem that can cause the bolt to not seat correctly or lift very difficult. Depending on how far in you screw the hammer assembly there are bolt housing and hammers that will lock up themselves up. If you screw the secondary safety all the way in, and I mean in tight and then screw the hammer assembly into the bolt until it stops. Depending on where it stops will determine how far to turn it back. If when you turn the hammer in and it passes the detent by up to a 3/4 turn you often have to turn the hammer assembly back out 1 full turn + the amount it passed by then loosen the secondary safety. The hammer shroud has to have a small space between it and the bolt housing....

One other note: Knight didn't do me any favors regardless of what type of trigger Assembly they replaced mine with, as the trigger was not functional and dangerous in my opinion. That is why I bought a trigger Assembly from Numrich. Also The trigger assembly I bought looked exactly like the ones that you said were the old ones.
Correct several years ago Knight had another company furnish them with triggers that looked like and function like Timneys...

I am not sure why you felt the new trigger was a problem but if t were adjusted correctly it truly is a better trigger than the contract copy.

I did not buy the barrel from Numrich, I called Knight and asked them if their barrel kits they sell were from current production run barrels, they said yes. It killed me to do it, but I didn't want to chance getting an old "New" barrel. I bought the new barrel from Knight!! Go Figure.
I would give anything (well not really) to look at your rifle - I would really like to know what is going on...

mike

d.winsor 12-23-2017 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=sabotloader;4323712]You are correct I probably did because it adjusts just like the Walker trigger. I do apologize if I miss-lead you on that.

Gosh! I have never been able to use a 3/8" drive to remove the BP - but in all honesty I do not even remember trying. I have always used a 1/4" drive with extension and 7/16" deep socket and they just barely fit.

I Had to go to a 1/4" deepwell so my socket wouldn't be shoved off the breech plug as I installed it.

Could you try this... remove the hammer assembly from the bolt. Install the bolt in the rifle and work the bolt. It should open/close handle drop down with no effort at all.

This is also a good test for the depth of the breech plug... if it is not seated in the barrel deep enough the bolt (without hammer assembly) will insert and draw back just fine but it will not just drop down to the fully closed position as the bolt shroud will run into the breech plug nut.

This is also a problem that can cause the bolt to not seat correctly or lift very difficult. Depending on how far in you screw the hammer assembly there are bolt housing and hammers that will lock up themselves up. If you screw the secondary safety all the way in, and I mean in tight and then screw the hammer assembly into the bolt until it stops. Depending on where it stops will determine how far to turn it back. If when you turn the hammer in and it passes the detent by up to a 3/4 turn you often have to turn the hammer assembly back out 1 full turn + the amount it passed by then loosen the secondary safety. The hammer shroud has to have a small space between it and the bolt housing....

Correct several years ago Knight had another company furnish them with triggers that looked like and function like Timneys...

I am not sure why you felt the new trigger was a problem but if t were adjusted correctly it truly is a better trigger than the contract copy.

I would give anything (well not really) to look at your rifle - I would really like to know what is going on...

mike
I have already shipped the rifle to Bestill for a breech plug, I also asked him to check and repair the bolt operation if possible. The trigger assembly knight put on had a 5 lb trigger pull, I adjusted the trigger pull to per your instructions. I set it at 3 lbs. When I tested the trigger pull NUMEROUS TIMES the lbs. were all over the place. I tried re adjusting several times and no good results were forth coming, and many reading in a not so safe range. I considered the trigger to be dangerous and with my experience if I wanted to keep the gun I had to replace it, if I wanted to shoot it. That was my first mistake.
If I knew you would have been willing to look at the rifle I would have paid shipping to and from and for your time and effort. I enjoy reading your post and put a lot of stock in what you say. Truth be known it was You and Ronlaughlin that led me to consider buying a knight rifle. Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming you all for anything! Ha Ha

Grouse45 12-23-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4323683)
It seems that to have a good Knight any more you have to struggle a while first. Did not used to be that way.

That’s a very true statement and I’ll tell you why. Nobody cared about blow back on ML’S years ago. They just thought it’s a ML and that’s what comes with it. Now it’s all about head spacing and clean primers for easy extraction.