Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service????? >

Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????

Old 12-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Spike

Unfortunately, it sounds as if all your initial problems with the bolt not closing was due to your 3/8" drive socket (I had to turn mine down, then found a 1/4" drive works great) the larger 3/8" hits on the thread in the action. This gave you a bad taste right off the bat, but may have just been you?
I too am surprised you bought another Mtnr barrel - guaranteed no difference in tolerances from GM.
As, to your trigger. Sad, but I don't think anyone took you trigger as what Sabotloader has shown are what they offer is what you have and had. I could imagine they took it off when disassembling the rifle and inadvertently put a different one on.. As to defective, if it was like the other issues you have stated - doubtful you took the time to adjust.
Now, you trashed which was most likely a perfectly good barrel?
I bet their experience was as good as yours.

Last edited by 52bore; 12-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Bought a CVA. No good but they fixed you up .
Bought a Traditions , again no good but they fixed you up
Bought a Knight , again no good . They fixed you up but not to your satisfaction
I think we see the real problem .
Old 12-25-2017, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 52bore
Unfortunately, it sounds as if all your initial problems with the bolt not closing was due to your 3/8" drive socket (I had to turn mine down, then found a 1/4" drive works great) the larger 3/8" hits on the thread in the action. This gave you a bad taste right off the bat, but may have just been you?
I too am surprised you bought another Mtnr barrel - guaranteed no difference in tolerances from GM.
As, to your trigger. Sad, but I don't think anyone took you trigger as what Sabotloader has shown are what they offer is what you have and had. I could imagine they took it off when disassembling the rifle and inadvertently put a different one on.. As to defective, if it was like the other issues you have stated - doubtful you took the time to adjust.
Now, you trashed which was most likely a perfectly good barrel?
I bet their experience was as good as yours.
You are right about the 3/8" deep well, as you screw the breech plug in with it, it is slowly pushed off the 7/16" head of the breech plug. If you have to use a 1/4" deepwell to install your breech plug it means one thing. Your barrel is a current production barrel. The 3/8" deepwell won't work on it. If it will it means you have an older production barrel, plus that means there is a difference in tolerance.
If you don't know what my original trigger looked like, and you don't know what was put on my gun by knight, how can you possibly say "no one took my trigger". Every thing else you said is only your opinions, and we all know what opinions are. As far as what sabatloader has to say I have already posted to him and have his opinions, I have a lot of respect for what Sabotloader says but I doubt he gave you a picture of what was on my gun. still just your opinion. The only fix for the barrel would be custom work to create a custom breech plug, then drill and cut new threads in the barrel for the new breech plug. I would not go that route, putting good money into a bad barrel. I chose to put that money with a little more and get a new barrel, Merry Christmas

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-26-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You are correct I probably did because it adjusts just like the Walker trigger. I do apologize if I miss-lead you on that.
Correct several years ago Knight had another company furnish them with triggers that looked like and function like Timneys...

I am not sure why you felt the new trigger was a problem but if t were adjusted correctly it truly is a better trigger than the contract copy.
mike
We all appreciate Mike's knowledge.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Actually I don't think the trigger was a new one, I think it was a POS that they had laying around, and people infer then that it was a good trigger assembly. How does anyone know it was a good trigger assembly that just needed adjusting. Ultimately I shot the gun with the POS at 5 pounds trigger pull, groups were a POS. I figured I had to adjust the POS if I wanted a good group, testing the trigger after adjusting the trigger pounds were all over the place, POS trigger. I ordered a new one and ultimately adjusted it to 2lb 13 oz. It was a good trigger assembly. By the way Knight says a trigger adjustment below 3 pounds will void your warranty. Give me a break, With knights warranty I know "I am on my own". Every body keeps talking about the triggers but no one actually knows what trigger I had on my gun when I bought it. It was a rectangular, dark, 3 adjustment pin trigger assembly. I have yet to see a picture of it. But sabot loader had pictures that looked about like what Knight put on my gun, a 2 pin adjustable trigger assembly, he called them the old trigger assemblies. You can quote me to death, I know what was on my gun when I bought it. In answering sabotloaders post I told him the old trigger assemblies looked close to what I had on my gun. He showed me a Current production of the trigger assembly that comes with the Mountaineer and it was red, nothing like what was on my gun when I bought it and nothing like what knight put on my gun when someone at knight stole my trigger assembly, I have a good idea who took it too. But since I can't prove it I will Keep that to myself. I hope we are done talking about the trigger assembly, it is a worn out subject. Lets talk about knights customer service, or quality! Better yet lets talk about how they warrant their product. There is more going on in this thread besides a POS trigger assembly.

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-25-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I'm surprised Knight Inc didn't refuse to work on your gun, once they saw that aftermarket trigger on it. Some manufacturers would have taken one look at your gun and returned it to you, minus any repair shop fingerprints.

Some even disqualify you from warranty service, all because you customized by changing-out parts for 3rd party parts.

Whenever I have-had problems and the gun needed to go back to the manufacturer, it always contained 100% original manufacturer parts in it, when shipped to them.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I'm surprised Knight Inc didn't refuse to work on your gun, once they saw that aftermarket trigger on it. Some manufacturers would have taken one look at your gun and returned it to you, minus any repair shop fingerprints.

Some even disqualify you from warranty service, all because you customized by changing-out parts for 3rd party parts.

Whenever I have-had problems and the gun needed to go back to the manufacturer, it always contained 100% original manufacturer parts in it, when shipped to them.
After I bought the trigger from Numrich and installed and adjusted it, it worked great. By that time I had figured out that I didn't have a warranty and I was on my own. The Trigger assembly I purchased was a knight trigger assembly. After that the gun never saw the inside of knights establishment, I didn't want to loose another good trigger assembly and get another POS trigger assembly installed, with out me requesting it. Besides I could only afford to buy so many $248.00 trigger assemblies for that gun.

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-26-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default chronological order of instanses of the thread

I have this posted on another forum as an answer to a post about this thread. I will post it here to help people stop mixing up things that occurred.

Got the gun new in the box, first thing I did was to check the trigger pull it was great
Installed breech plug back in the barrel, put bolt in, nothing I did would get the bolt to close to battery
I sent the gun back to knight
they sent the gun back to me saying they had checked the bolt and everything was ok.
I checked the bolt and it worked. sometimes I would have to jerk it back but figured it would wear in
disassembled gun to clean before going to range, when done I reinstalled the breech plug and bolt would not close to battery again, I knew something was up that is when I got my socket and drive, you know the rest of that story.
I sent the gun back to knight describing how I had to turn the breech plug in with a 1/4" drive with a lot of force 3 separate times before it actually bottomed out and bolt would go to battery.
That is when they sent the gun back to me saying it was OK they had run a tap in the breech plug threads.
I had checked the trigger pull on the original trigger, it was 3+ pounds. For some reason when I got the gun back from knight, I pulled the trigger and knew something was wrong, I got my trigger lb gauge and checked it and it was 5 pounds. I knew something was wrong so I disassembled my gun and here was this POS trigger.
At that point I boxed the gun up again and sent it back to knight saying that When I screwed in the breech plug that I could feel the threads catching in the 3 spots and I didn't feel the breech plug threads in the barrel were good. I also informed them that someone had stolen my trigger assembly when my gun was in their care, and I wanted it back.
Shortly after they received the gun I got a call, I assumed it was from management, I was told they could find nothing wrong with the breech plug threads in the barrel. I asked him what about my trigger assembly being stolen and was told that the trigger assembly on my rifle was the one that it was suppose to have. My trigger assembly was rectangular and dark, looked nothing like the trigger assembly that was put on my rifle. At that point I knew that I had no warranty.
The gun was shipped back to me, I popped a W209 primer in the gun, it came out coal black, I looked up sabotloaders procedure for shimming a bare primer breech plug. I didn't really like doing it because I had had discussions with Frontieer Gander about shimming. In any event I had to shim it .020 before I could shoot a primer off with no load and have the primer come out clean, .002 crush.
Then I went to the range, after firing the breech area was dirity, primers were clean. Sounded like blowing by the breech plug threads to me. Groups were horrible. thought maybe it was the hard trigger pull. At home cleaned the gun, took out breech plug, it was sooted up. Cleaned and tried to adjust trigger pull, no matter what I did when testing pounds were all over the place.
Ordered Trigger From Numrich, got it put it on and adjusted it to 2lb 8oz tested trigger pull, a little creep and pounds varring a little, Saw something in a pitcher where the allen screw was called creep adjustment. Knight says to never adjust trigger pull below 3 pounds maybe a little higher, they say they will void your warranty, well since I didn't have a warranty I had nothing to loose. I started slowly adjusting up the trigger pull up while adjusting the allen screw in until it would fire and backed out 1/4 turn. and rechecked. It was a long process and when I got to 2 lb 13 oz, as I would check the trigger pull I didn't feel the creep anymore that is where I left it.
I took it to the range again, trigger pull was great, shot like POS, when I cleaned it at home more soot on the breech plug.
I ordered the new barrel since my warranty was toast, when I got it you know the story about the deep well sockets, I put it all together and was ready to shoot it. I read a post that said the bare primer breech plugs would only last about 100 shots, that got me to thinking I had probably bumped up there close to that. So I went to check my breech plug and It had grown .004, I replace all the breech plugs in my other guns when they get there. I got on line and GM54-120 referred me to Bestill Custimes that could make me a Breech plug. Jeff said they would last about 4 to 5 hundred rounds. That was good enough for me so I sent my muzzleloader barrel to him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Still have not shot the new barrel yet!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Knight has only used 3 triggers and they all had associations with Timney. Tom Vehr worked for Timney for many years. Ive seen 2 fully adjustable. One with a wide trigger and one the same as the standard trigger. I bought a wide shoe (Target model) directly from Knight back when the new owners first took over. IIRC i didnt pay over $100 for it and its one dam fine trigger.

1)Timney (MK85 and maybe a few others)
2)In house made by Tom Vehr starting in 1995
3)Vehr Manufacturing/Velocity Trigger (also Tom Vehr)
4)And now Timney again but ONLY available in new rifle from Knight. As far as i know you can NOT buy a new Timney by itself for the next couple years or more.

Tom spent 14 years at Timney Triggers running all aspects of production including design, set-up, tooling, testing, and scheduling.
In 1995 Knight Rifles hired Tom to direct their trigger manufacturing. Over the course of 13 years at Knight Rifles, Tom produced close to 500,000 trigger assemblies as well as other parts.
In 2008 Tom started Vehr Manufacturing, parent company to Velocity Triggers. Vehr Manufacturing continues to produce triggers for Knight Rifles along with doing other job shop work.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-26-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Any of them a rectangular, dark trigger assembly with 3 adjusting screws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.