Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service????? >

Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????

Old 12-24-2017, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have quite a few Knights all have been excellent both in quality and accuracy. I guess with anything in life, once in a while there is a bad one. Sounds like unfortunately you got it. I am disappointed they didn't seem to take better care of you. Hopefully Bestill will be able to fix you up.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think you are right, but Knight said they have a warranty, they also guaranteed a good group as far out as 200 yards. They should not have taken my Remington trigger assembly off and installed a defective one. Then management ignored any reference to that issue, they absolutely didn't want to talk about it. Also due to 2 issues they should have replaced the barrel, 1) because of the defective breech plug threads in the barrel. 2) Because the gun did not group as they warranted. When a Company refuses to make issues right according to their warranty, one has no recourse except to spread the word. I just hope no one else runs into a knight rifle like mine, they will be in for a rude awakening.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
I think you are right, but Knight said they have a warranty, they also guaranteed a good group as far out as 200 yards. They should not have taken my Remington trigger assembly off and installed a defective one. Then management ignored any reference to that issue, they absolutely didn't want to talk about it. Also due to 2 issues they should have replaced the barrel, 1) because of the defective breech plug threads in the barrel. 2) Because the gun did not group as they warranted. When a Company refuses to make issues right according to their warranty, one has no recourse except to spread the word. I just hope no one else runs into a knight rifle like mine, they will be in for a rude awakening.
You have only two problems.

1-The threads in your barrel are rough from the bore coating. Knight should always run a tap in them before shipping out and head spacing the rifle.

2- Your gun is not properly head spaced. If it was head spaced properly, or you new how to do it. The sticking primers and accuracy issues would not exist.

When Bestil is done with it, it will be properly head spaced and shoot as good if not better then any other ML you ever used.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
You have only two problems.

1-The threads in your barrel are rough from the bore coating. Knight should always run a tap in them before shipping out and head spacing the rifle.

2- Your gun is not properly head spaced. If it was head spaced properly, or you new how to do it. The sticking primers and accuracy issues would not exist.

When Bestil is done with it, it will be properly head spaced and shoot as good if not better then any other ML you ever used.
I know when threads are damaged, and thank you for reminding me that the gun was a filthy shooter and I had to shim the breech plug .020 to clean it up, another point about no knight quality. Also, I don't think I mentioned anything about primers sticking, in the breech plug or the bolt face. Is the knight guns so lousy with that issue that it is just assumed. sounds like another quality control issue knight should address, CVA did.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive heard of tons of new CVAs that were filthy in the breach after firing. They only get dirty one way im aware of...blowby.

It sure isnt something unique to Knights.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-24-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

The first CVA I bought the Accura V2 was a filthy shooter, a few years ago I bought the Accura LR, right out of the box, the firing pin bushing was flush with the breach face. I was a little skeptical, but when I got to the range all my concerns were gone, it was a very clean shooter using W209 primers. I don't know about other new CVA guns but if the Accura LR is any indication, I would say CVA has cleaned up their act.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

I'm fairly new to inlines so I am by far no expert. But I do have a pretty fair knowledge of firearms and their workings. All this talk of blowby in any factory rifle isn't so much the fault of the factories as it is the manufacturers of 209 primers. If they would standardize primer sizes to an exact size then the factories could resolve headspace issues, the main cause of blowby in my understanding, easily and effectively. It is impossible for any manufacturer of factory rifles to get perfect crush since not a single primer manufacturer puts out the exact same size primers. While your W209 primers may not have blowby issues, a Fed209m, or a CCI209 probably would. Again, from my limited knowledge of inlines, this is an issue that everyone has to deal with in all of them. Now, as to your trigger reference, when you sent that rifle in to Knight, that trigger you sent in on the rifle was their trigger not yours. When you send anything in for warranty work, it all becomes the property of the manufacturer and they will do with it whatever they feel they need to to fix any issues. That wasn't a trigger you installed, it was a trigger they installed at the point of manufacturing.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I'm fairly new to inlines so I am by far no expert. But I do have a pretty fair knowledge of firearms and their workings. All this talk of blowby in any factory rifle isn't so much the fault of the factories as it is the manufacturers of 209 primers. If they would standardize primer sizes to an exact size then the factories could resolve headspace issues, the main cause of blowby in my understanding, easily and effectively. It is impossible for any manufacturer of factory rifles to get perfect crush since not a single primer manufacturer puts out the exact same size primers. While your W209 primers may not have blowby issues, a Fed209m, or a CCI209 probably would. Again, from my limited knowledge of inlines, this is an issue that everyone has to deal with in all of them. Now, as to your trigger reference, when you sent that rifle in to Knight, that trigger you sent in on the rifle was their trigger not yours. When you send anything in for warranty work, it all becomes the property of the manufacturer and they will do with it whatever they feel they need to to fix any issues. That wasn't a trigger you installed, it was a trigger they installed at the point of manufacturing.
The thing in a nut shell with the trigger assembly was that the gun was sent back to knight for issues first regarding the Bolt not closing to battery, and then sent back again for bad breech plug thread issues in the barrel.
There was never a time when I mentioned there was any issues with the trigger assembly. The function of the trigger assembly was outstanding. You are correct, someone at knight did literally consider the trigger assembly theirs. I could understand them wanting it, it was a quality unit, the least they could have done would have been for them to install a current functional production of the trigger assembly that was advertised at the time I bought the rifle. Had they done so I might have thought they did me a favor. I do think that the rifle I purchased from Sportsman Warehouse had been lying around for awhile somewhere and was an older production of Knight Rifles. I wish I had bought the rifle directly from Knight.
One reason I think this, besides the type of trigger assembly that was in the gun I purchased, is that the new barrel I purchased has tighter tolerances in the Breech Plug area of the barrel. I did not buy the barrel from Numerich because I didn't want one that had been lying around for awhile. I called Knight to verify this before purchasing the new replacement barrel. Not saying the one from Numerich would have problems or would not have worked, just that I wanted a barrel that was produced by current model year production standards.
To recap, the gun was never sent to knight for trigger issues, I should have sent the barrel to knight, like Bestill creations requested the barrel to be sent to them, "Stripped down to nothing but the Bolt and the Barrel". Then I would only have had barrel issues.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what did you do with your old barrel? Maybe Bestill can get that squared away for you also. Then you only have to scrounge up the rest of the parts to build a 2nd rifle. I agree, they should not have done anything with your trigger.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
So what did you do with your old barrel? Maybe Bestill can get that squared away for you also. Then you only have to scrounge up the rest of the parts to build a 2nd rifle. I agree, they should not have done anything with your trigger.
I don't keep trash laying around, it killed me, but I set it out with the garbage. I couldn't afford to put another knight mountaineer together, the only thing I had to work with was a stock, and some sights, I'm just praying that the one I have built is a shooter. It would destroy me to have to put it in the garbage!!! I just hope nothing happens to my car, with all the parts on a car, I would have to jack the radiator cap up and pull another car under it. Merry Christmas

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-25-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.