HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Roman Candle Muzzie (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/416404-roman-candle-muzzie.html)

FlaBoy18 12-04-2017 03:58 AM

Roman Candle Muzzie

Ok guys this past week I took a shot on a huge boar with my muzzleloader, I squeezed the trigger and it looked like a roman candle fireball shooting out of my barrel. It was going like 10 mph and landed right in front of this 300 lb boar before he trotted off laughing at me. It took all of my might not to wrap my gun around the tree like a belt. I was shooting Win 209 Primers and 777 Pellets out of an Optima. Anybody ever have or hear of this issue? What the heck happened

ctom 12-04-2017 04:25 AM

Last year's pellets? Or older? Old pellets lose their zing and it sounds like you've been ordained into that likelihood.

I'd trash the pellets [any and all "formed" propellants] and get some granulated powder. You'll shoot cleaner and more accurately using it instead of formed stuff.

FlaBoy18 12-04-2017 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ctom (Post 4322009)
Last year's pellets? Or older? Old pellets lose their zing and it sounds like you've been ordained into that likelihood.

I'd trash the pellets [any and all "formed" propellants] and get some granulated powder. You'll shoot cleaner and more accurately using it instead of formed stuff.

They were brand new pellets, never opened out of package

Kathwacckkk 12-04-2017 04:58 AM

Had the same thing happen to me after a cold Michigan Morning deer hunt many years ago, also using 777 pellets. Temperature was in the teens and in my haste to get warm, I brought the gun indoors. Condensation formed in the barrel and when I pulled the trigger that evening, it looked like fireworks.

Not sure if the cause could be temperature related, but something obviously effected the integrity of your powder.

BarnesAddict 12-04-2017 05:19 AM

Be sure to use the lower charged primers, those made to shoot pellets. Keep your powder (pellets) dry. I don't believe it was mentioned, but was it a powerbelt you were using? Make sure the bullet is seated securely on the propellant, but don't crush the pellets.
Being from FL with high humidity, I'd most likely cover the barrel with a balloon to keep the humidity out. Not obstruct the barrel, but a balloon over the barrel will break, yet help to keep out humidity.

lemoyne 12-04-2017 05:19 AM

Pellet boxes are not sealed they can collect moisture sitting in the store and that is one of the things that can happened when they do. You can not trust them use granulated for hunting, preferably Blackhorn which does not attract moisture.

FlaBoy18 12-04-2017 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict (Post 4322018)
Be sure to use the lower charged primers, those made to shoot pellets. Keep your powder (pellets) dry. I don't believe it was mentioned, but was it a powerbelt you were using? Make sure the bullet is seated securely on the propellant, but don't crush the pellets.
Being from FL with high humidity, I'd most likely cover the barrel with a balloon to keep the humidity out. Not obstruct the barrel, but a balloon over the barrel will break, yet help to keep out humidity.

Ok so put a balloon over the end of the barrel like ur putting on a rubber? Wont that sort of keep moisture in by not lettin it breathe?

FlaBoy18 12-04-2017 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4322019)
Pellet boxes are not sealed they can collect moisture sitting in the store and that is one of the things that can happened when they do. You can not trust them use granulated for hunting, preferably Blackhorn which does not attract moisture.

If u switch to say a BH primer and BH powder, what primer cap do yall suggest I buy?

BarnesAddict 12-04-2017 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18 (Post 4322020)
Ok so put a balloon over the end of the barrel like ur putting on a rubber? Wont that sort of keep moisture in by not lettin it breathe?

It'll keep moisture out. Watch ol' Jim Shockey when he's using his muzzleloader, but he uses tape. Its not to obstruct the barrel, as a balloon will break or the tape will fly off when the pressure builds. It only takes a single balloon, or condom, or a single piece of tape.
Pellets need proper storage to keep moisture from degrading them. I shoot cases of pellets with no issues, but they're stored in a humidity controlled area. Always make sure that the bullet is seated firmly on pellets, but not so firm that you crush the pellets. Push the bullet down until its TIGHT on the propellant.

One can at times, duplicate the issue you had, by just dropping a pellet down the barrel WITHOUT A BULLET, then hold the rifle up and snap the primer. In most cases the pellet will just fizzle out of the end of the barrel, even a new pellet.

BarnesAddict 12-04-2017 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18 (Post 4322021)
If u switch to say a BH primer and BH powder, what primer cap do yall suggest I buy?

First get the correct breech plug from either CVA or Western for BH use.
Stay away from powerbelts and BH.

WIN 209's should work for you. Many prefer CCI209M or Federal 209A magnum primers. Primers designated "Muzzleloader" are to weak and shouldn't be used with BH.