Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ultralight Mountaineer First Look >

Ultralight Mountaineer First Look

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultralight Mountaineer First Look

Old 12-31-2017, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Ron!
Glad your happy with your new rifle and glad you knocked the skunk off her!
I look forward to some long range target shooting posts from you once the weather warms up
Old 12-31-2017, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
On new knights I do not us sabots just full bore at first this helps smooth the bore works will for me. I us Thors for this in a 50 cal and resize for 45 cal like .451 or .452 bullets.
Agree.... my habit also. First bullet I bought for my Knight Vision was Hornady PA Conicals. You get a-lot in the box - they are cheap and a full-bore conical. Works to smooth things out better than a .490 roundball & patch.

It's fun to shoot conicals anyways. They make nice big holes and depending on the tree-type trunk, those PA Conicals in lead displayed some awesome mushrooms. They just aren't long enough to use for 100 yards and beyond accurately, inside a 1-28 twist barrel.

I couldn't find them locally. Got them at the Hornady website a few years back. Dixie Gun Works sometimes sells them or similar.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 12-31-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Congrats Ron!
Glad your happy with your new rifle and glad you knocked the skunk off her!
I look forward to some long range target shooting posts from you once the weather warms up
Won't be too long range what with the iron sights.

Happy New Year!

_
Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

When i got my 54-120 i knew pretty fast how much i preferred a light weight rifle. Well thats not entirely true....When i had a Rem600 308 i knew it too but it was rather LOUD!. The 6lb rifle is a joy to carry.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last Look

Have probably shot the rifle over 200 times; it was time for a new flash hole. Removed the brazed vent liner, and replaced it with a Holo-Krome screw with a 0.028" flash hole drilled through it.

Been shooting rifles almost every day this year. Some days were windy; some were bitter cold; on some it snowed. This morning was beautiful. There was zero breeze. Because it was only 13°, five shots were made from inside the truck, with one elbow on the window sill, and the other in the steering wheel. Range was 98 yard. Load was 250 grain XTP, 90 grain Blackhorn powder, short Harvester sabot, W209 primer.

_