Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lets talk trajectories >

Lets talk trajectories

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lets talk trajectories

Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default Lets talk trajectories

Well for my first post I'll ask for a bit of help. It's been years since I hunted with a muzzle loader. I purchased a TC Triumph and scoped it with a Nikon 3x9.

My current load / sight in:

Scope 1.5" above bore line
90 grains (volume) Blackhorn 209
TC Shockwave 250 grain ( non-bonded )

Sight in at 50 yards +1.75"

What can I expect for a 100, 150 yard plus Points of impacts assuming a velocity of appx. 1850fps per Blackhorn's tables ?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone here.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

_
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Spike

You Sir are a Gentleman and a Scholar.......
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kc4sox
Well for my first post I'll ask for a bit of help. It's been years since I hunted with a muzzle loader. I purchased a TC Triumph and scoped it with a Nikon 3x9.

My current load / sight in:

Scope 1.5" above bore line
90 grains (volume) Blackhorn 209
TC Shockwave 250 grain ( non-bonded )

Sight in at 50 yards +1.75"

What can I expect for a 100, 150 yard plus Points of impacts assuming a velocity of appx. 1850fps per Blackhorn's tables ?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone here.
Approximation:

Your actual zero might be in the area of 140yds.

At 100yds..... +2.2"

At 150yds..... -1"

At 200yds..... -8.5

Keep in mind......... these are no more than an approximation. The only way to be absolutely sure is to shoot those distances. If you've only zeroed and shot the rifle to 50yds, don't hunt beyond 50yds. Wind plays a huge factor when shooting to longer ranges.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Spike

I have EVERY intent to shoot at extended ranges. I just wanted a little heads up on possible PBR zero before I started slinging lead. This info should allow me to be more efficient in using my time and power, primers and bullets. I'm looking for an over under of the LOS to be no more than 2-2.5".
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

I kind of gathered you were thinking economy for sight in purposes. Slinging ammo for these inlines is far from cheap anymore. Especially when using that BH209 stuff. That dang stuff is high dollar. But I'll forewarn you on those shockwaves kc4sox, those 250's have started to gather a pretty bad reputation for blowing up on close range impact with shoulders. My dad came off of them a few years back. Had some bad experiences with shoulders blowing up on hogs with little penetration. I think he had to track a whitetail a pretty fair distance as well before having to follow up with one in the neck. If you haven't already tried them, give the Hornady XTP's a shot and see if they are accurate out of your rifle. They perform better than the TC 250's on close range and they won't break the bank for practice either.