Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit >

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

Old 10-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

For the past month I have recommended the TRESO nipple in a #11 configuration...

Recently I found a source for the TRESO AMPCO nipple - this is a get nipple EXCEPT for one thing. The 'flash hole' is drilled to .028/29 which is great for the ignition of real BP or the Pyros - but I use T7 which takes more heat to ignite in really cold weather. To cure this problem I order these nipples from Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, ID. When I get the nipples I then drill the flash hole out to .031 - That works perfect even sub-zero weather. Here is a link

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4x28-t...caps-tre115001

The nipple in the center is the 1/4x28 Nipple

This is proving to be incorrect. I just recieved 3 new ones and tried them for fit. The nipple stack is to small to get a seal with a #11 cap.

So this point I am back to the RST-S - stainless steel! Probably another reason Track of the Wolf stopped carrying them.

The nipple works well for ignition - but not seal....

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-24-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had that problem. I haven't drilled them yet but I did address the loose fit of the nipple.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just drilled mine to match the TC Hot Shot. They are .035 so I drilled the Ampco nipples out to .035
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
I just drilled mine to match the TC Hot Shot. They are .035 so I drilled the Ampco nipples out to .035

Jeez Ron that is way above what I normally drill. I have always used .031 and most often toss the nipple when it gets to .035. That just allows to much blowback pressure for me - but I am using T7 also which just naturally creates more pressure.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had that problem. I haven't drilled them yet but I did address the loose fit of the nipple.

https://youtu.be/V0_Sbzy7A4E
I see and understand how you are creating a wider/ greater diameter nipple stack. And certainly that will work with sidehammers and percussion hammer guns. But for me since I shoot mostly bolt guns that would move the nipple to far from the face of the bolt and the hammer/firing pin most likely would not reach the cap with out shimming the nipple or breech plug. Yet on the other hand I could also cut another breech plug to be greater in length.

A few years back when I was buying the AMPCO nipples from Track of the Wolf they were perfect other than the size of the flash hole. TOW stopped carrying the AMPCO and made a copy of that nipple and designated it as a RST-S. This nipple works very well and comes with a .030/31 flash hole.

The big reason that I prefer the nipple stack to be larger in diameter is when I push/place the cap on the nipple I want it to fit tight enough that it actually stretches the convolution in the cap to almost flat on the bottom edge of the cap. This stretching works to make the cap water tight. I really do not have to worry about rain and/or snow getting in the cap or the breech.

I was really hoping that the TRESO would fill the need the way the original AMPCO did. TRESO uses the AMPCO metal process which is really good but does not match the size of the AMPCO. Part of this may be that some people were complaining that could not get the cap off the nipple post without shooting it off or peeling it off. I do not think they recognized the value of the nipple to nipple post seal.

Hope some of this makes sense...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said Hot Shot is at .035 so that is what I took them too. I normally discard at .038 for my guns. At .035 the hammer will not cock. At .038 it will that is what I base my numbers on. I got a platinum lined nipple and it was .028 and I could not get the P to go regularly.
The fatter diameter is a benefit to keeping out moisture. I hunted this year for 8 days is snow and rain. I was using a cows knee and a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle but the gun went off perfectly when it needed to. The tight nipple and cap fit has to only help.

The Ampco nipple is .632 after adjusting it. A standard TC nipple is .550 A TC hot shot is .585
I have some track of the wolf "hot-shot-RST" They are .634
The difference between the Adjusted Ampco and the RST is .002 Are you sure that is a problem?

Last edited by idahoron; 10-16-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=idahoron;4318488]Like I said Hot Shot is at .035 so that is what I took them too. I normally discard at .038 for my guns. At .035 the hammer will not cock. At .038 it will that is what I base my numbers on. I got a platinum lined nipple and it was .028 and I could not get the P to go regularly. [quote]

I understand that - doesn't the Hot Shot also have small vent hole near the top of the nipple stack? The Hot Shots that I had had that vent which relieved pressure somewhat.

Same for me I could not get even T7-3F to always go off in sub-zero or close to sub weather. At .031 all works well and I keep more pressure headed up the barrel versus coming back. Sometime if you get a chance try a .031...

The fatter diameter is a benefit to keeping out moisture. I hunted this year for 8 days is snow and rain. I was using a cows knee and a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle but the gun went off perfectly when it needed to. The tight nipple and cap fit has to only help.
Exactly!

This is the nipple fit I need when shooting a bolt Knight Western Rifle. As you look at this picture I would actually like the top of the cap to be even closer to the face of the bolt.

This picture is much closer to what I would like to have... This is with a Knight HOT Shot in the rifle 0 CRAP! Knights are not Hot Shot - they Red HOT's

That is an Original AMPCO in the rifle and if I shortened it the firing pin would not reach the cap. And this AMPCO is slightly less the Knight Hot Shot and if I remember correctly the TRESO is .018 shorter than the AMPCO

Do you think that shortening

The Ampco nipple is .632 after adjusting it. A standard TC nipple is .550 A TC hot shot is .585
I have some track of the wolf "hot-shot-RST" They are .634
The difference between the Adjusted Ampco and the RST is .002 Are you sure that is a problem?

In our application for the Knight yes, that would be a problem - Remember Knight cuts the breech plug to fit their Red Hot Nipple which is different than the TC. The TC is shorter.

A friend of mine in up state Washington just got a new Ultra-Lite and ordered a couple of TRESO's he could not reach them - but his rifle functions great with the stock Knight Hot Shot. A little difference makes a big difference in this application. In your side hammers and the MK's no big deal at all.

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you know what the length of the Knight nipple is?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TC Hot Shot doesn't have the small hole on top. At least mine don't. The TOTW hot shots have the hole on top.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you know what the length of the Knight nipple is?
Right now - no I don't - but I have it written down someplace... Found it .645

This is the TC Hot Shot I use to have for my Renegades

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...1-cap?a=417604

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.