Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit >

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Red Hot Nipples - Correct cap Fit

Old 10-17-2017, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader, You might give the MSM Spitfire nipples a try if overall length is what you are looking for? They are the longest nipple i have ever seen, (I wish i had measured it) I found 1 for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle, that nipple was long enough that my rifle would not go to half cock. I target shot the nipple and i wasn't impressed with durability, I started a thread about them on Castboolits way back and most folks swore by them being tough, maybe i got a bad one? My absolute favorite nipple is the Treso Ampco nipples from Buffalo Arms, they are TOUGH and hold up extremely well
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Knight Change - maybe

Well Darn! After all of this... I made a phone call to Knight

The new Knight Red Hot nipples #M900013 have been changed to give a positive seal on #11 caps - including the RWS 1075+. I suggested this several years ago when I first started using AMPCO's - even sent them a demonstration. Well apparently or maybe something positive may have happened. I ordered 4 of them when they get here I will test and post...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 54bore
Sabotloader, You might give the MSM Spitfire nipples a try if overall length is what you are looking for? They are the longest nipple i have ever seen, (I wish i had measured it) I found 1 for my Lyman Great Plains Hunter rifle, that nipple was long enough that my rifle would not go to half cock. I target shot the nipple and i wasn't impressed with durability, I started a thread about them on Castboolits way back and most folks swore by them being tough, maybe i got a bad one? My absolute favorite nipple is the Treso Ampco nipples from Buffalo Arms, they are TOUGH and hold up extremely well
54 - I just called October Country in Hayden, ID - talked to the people and I have ordered one for testing purposes. I have never had one of these that I know of...

http://www.octobercountry.com/msm-spitfire-nipple-11/

Thanks - I will let you all know
Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

For any of that still might be following this topic... Another test nipple arrived today.

It is another TRESO but it is for the Colt Walker Pistol

It measures the same length as the TC TRESO .637

The RWS 1075+ does fit a little more snug like what I am looking for but in my mind not enough to serve the purpose...

More #11's arriving later....
Old 10-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default MSM - #11 Nipple

Yesterday I ordered another test nipple from October Country Muzzeloading here in Idaho...

http://www.octobercountry.com/

This hardened Stainless Steel nipple was suggested by another forum member 54bore on another site.

Today the nipple arrived - I got to say I open the package not expecting it to work - BUT!!! It is an excellent fit!

The cap is tight and will be water proof

The nipple is longer than a stock Knight measuring .678 - which is long as compared to a stock Knight nipple

Flash Hole - the hole is small .028/29 and I will need to drill it out to .031

Again the down side is to get the nipple off the post you will need to shoot it off or peel it off with the edge of a knife....

The next step is to install it in DISC and see if the hammer/firing pin can hit the cap hard enough to drive it to ignition...

Still have some new Knight Red Hots coming for evaluation...

I just feel good finding one that works the way I prefer - thanks 52!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

This afternoon the new Knight Red Hot #11 nipples arrived in the mail today.

My curiosity took over and I decided to put them to the test...

With a capper I applied the RWS 1075+ cap on the nipple. Then tried to take it off with my fingers - didn't happen

The picture(s) hopefully will explain what I was testing for.

The flash hole is the correct size .031/32 - no drilling needed.

I think the search is over and the shooting/hunting can commence...
Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will add a more information that I just found out about the Red Hots... They are hardened to a ridiculously hard number - something like Doc White use to do to improve life of his nipple/breech plug combination - so they really should be a lasting product...

With this last bit of information - I think I am even more satisfied with the new Red Hots... Now lets just hope Knight doesn't change contractors again... no wait!!! if I ordered enough of them now I would have to worry about it!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader, how does the redhot fit the other #11 caps than the RWS? I'm using winchester which I believe are the same as CCI.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by caplock
Sabotloader, how does the redhot fit the other #11 caps than the RWS? I'm using winchester which I believe are the same as CCI.
Yes the CCI's fit very well although I did not give them the bath test...