Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf

Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default CVA Wolf

I picked up two CVA Wolfs. One is new never fired, the other one is used. They both shoot pretty good. They came with 295grain powerbelt hollow points. So, that's what I sighted in with. Have both of them shooting around 2" at 75 yards.

I've read some negative reviews on the powerbelts not holding together well. Should I pick up something different and shoot it in again before a doe hunt next weekend? Any suggestions?

I'm just looking for a bullet that will perform well on deer at 100 yards.

Currently I'm shooting pyrodex pellets. 2 pellets(100 grain) and the 295gr hollow point powerbelts that came with the guns.

-Jake
Old 10-08-2017, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

If you lived closer i would give you some Cheap Shots to try.
If you have any loose 2-f try 70 to 75 grains of it. I have 5 of the Wolfs and this load has taken quite a few does in our early season here.
You will figure it out Jake .
Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jake I've been using 295 gr Barnes EZs with good accuracy and "stopability".
But if you want to go an inexpensive yet good performing combo try Harvester green crush rib sabots and Hornady 300 gr XTP bullets .429" (or black CR sabots and .451" 300 gr XTPs). No deer I ever shot with either of these had time to complain.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grafs
300gr DeepCurl $18/50
Harvester "short" black EZ-Load sabot $6/50
$7.95 flat rate shipping
$33/50 shots

Triple7 2FG or BH209 if you dont mind upgrading the breach plug for around $30+
90-110gr by volume. Im fairly sure Cabelas stocks the powders and plug.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

I've dropped a few whitetail with the XTP's and can find no fault with their performance whatsoever. They shoot very well from my Renegade and hold together well on close shots. Of course I don't have them screaming from a sidelock but I figure if they hold up well at around 10 yards on a shoulder shot they will be just dandy. As far as those powerbelts go, if you fish, you will have some excellent sinkers. That is about all they are good for. The old man and I both have had to help several people track wounded game because of those junk bullets. Blown up shoulders with no penetration. Deer that shouldn't, wouldn't, have gone more than a few yards with the shot placements from other better bullets I've tracked for extremely long distances before finding an animal limping around on 3 legs. If you do end up using them, stay off the shoulder. Go for just ribs. One of the deer I actually saw the guy shoot with one of those things, right in the pocket on a quartered away deer. Bullet blew up under the shoulder and didn't even penetrate the ribs. I got up to it after a bit of tracking and dropped it with one of my mini balls.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

My brother and I used the Powerbelts for part of one season in our Knights with 100 gr pyrodex. Notice i said part, you had best be a good tracker of tracks not blood. They are accurate shooters but that is it.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like I'll just shoot the rest of these through for practice and see what the local sporting goods stores have on the shelf for a better hunting bullet.
-JaKe
Old 10-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'm fond of the T/C Shockwaves, myself. The XTPs are another good choice.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

The old man had a problem with those shockwaves holding together from his Thompson Center Pro Hunter .50 cal. But to be fair, he had them screaming pretty good out of it. That barrel of his really doesn't start talking to you till you reach around 100+ grains of Swiss or around 90 grains of that high octane stuff like T7 and BH209. Slowed down it shot groups around 2" but once you pumped up the volume it tightens up to an inch at 150 as long as you do your part.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

With 110gr. of BH209 with a 250gr. Barnes T-EZ bullet my CVA Wolf is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards consistently. The only time it doesnt is when I am not shooting very well but the gun always performs.
I have used powerbelts in the past with mixed results in performance but not accuracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.