Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf

Old 10-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

You read alot of bad reviews on Powerbelts... but never from real deer hunters. The 295's will kill awesome... fear not my friend!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

300gr DeepCurl that held all its weight plus expanded for under 50cent each with sabot

Or a PB that lost about 80gr and turned into a pancake for around $20/15?

The choice seems very obvious which is the better bullet. The fact that the DeepCurl also has a much higher BC and sectional density isn't even a matter of opinion...Its a absolute fact. None of these bullets were even shot with a hot load. Its a measly 80gr by volume.

A lowly CheapShot didnt even lose 50gr of its weight.

240gr DeepCurl held all its weight and sells for around $30/100

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flint head
You read alot of bad reviews on Powerbelts... but never from real deer hunters. The 295's will kill awesome... fear not my friend!
Typical CVA shill nonsense statement
Lots of bad reviews from "real hunters"
Who had bad experiences with powerbelts , myself included .

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 10-11-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Here we go again. . . .
Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

This one time at deer camp this guy made "inserts" for PBs because of all the problems. This same person has countless posts on other forums about Powerbelt "pancakes and failures". This same guy got tons of free Powerbelts from CVA and was/is a Pro Staffer for a CVA/BPI sponsored website.

BUT....its interesting to hear that you don't consider him a "real" hunter.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-11-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Wow that was an interesting post by Flint Head. I just wonder what he considers real hunters to be? My old man took pretty much every big game animal on this continent and pretty much every small game legal as well. He was a tester for 4 major rifle manufacturers for years. He was also tapped by several ammo manufacturers for testing various loads and bullet constructions. His opinion carried a lot of weight in many circles because he was always fair and honest in his opinion. He was raised hunting just as he raised me. Just what are your qualifications there Flint Head? To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't trust a thing from CVA including their bullets. Nor do I trust anyone that advertises for them. I consider myself a real hunter since I to have taken many big game animals in my 50 years on this Earth. Most with traditional rifles. Just what are your qualifications there Flint Head to make such a bold and inaccurate statement? Mine are pretty simple. I've taken pretty much everything from Squirrel to Moose with a lot of other various animals thrown in. And I've never taken a dime from any manufacturer for the purpose of spreading lies like powerbelts are good bullets. They are absolute junk when it comes to terminal performance and anyone that has just a tiny bit of knowledge about terminal ballistics, and has seen firsthand their performance on big game, will absolutely agree.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powerbelt Exaggerations

Wonder what it is about these power belt bullets that makes everyone exaggerate? What is so hard about sticking to the facts? It would be wonderful if shooters could stick to the facts.

It kinda makes sense that shills would exaggerate. Shills that exaggerate don't bother me so much; i just wonder where they keep coming from? It is kinda expected that a shill would exaggerate. Perhaps that is why it doesn't bother me much when i read what shills write.

However, i am kinda/sorta confused about the b s coming from the shooters that don't use the bullet.

Fact:

1. Power Belts are expensive.

2. The 245 grain hollow pointcan blow up on the facing side of a deer. This has been observed on real live deer, and on media.

3. The 300 grain AT Platinum Power Belt penetrated deeper than the 300 grain Deep Curl when each was tested using identical media.

Me, i will never shoot at a critter using the 245g Power Belt, because it sure seems like the results may not be good for me. Me, i will never shoot at a critter using the 300g Power Belt, however, if i did, i believe it would work just fine, and one more deer would be in our freezer.

It seems obvious not all Power Belt bullet are equal. Shooters sure are emotional about their bullets. ☺

_
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron it should be noted the 300gr PB in the test was a 45cal. It would take a 375gr 50cal to equal its .212 sectional density.

When we compare a 44cal 240gr DeepCurl to a similar weight PB, the DeepCurl easily outperformed it for a tiny fraction of the cost.

A 300gr 50cal has a SD of .171 which is about the same as a 240gr 44cal bullet. Soft lead simply wont perform nearly as reliably with a SD that low unless the fps is reduced.

All we have to do is look at the Hornady 300gr FPB to see how much better the harder alloy performs.

No pancake here and better penetration

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-11-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never will i ever go hunting with Power Belt bullets, there is no good reason to. Colorado hunters have killed a many elk with Power Belt bullets. So what, i don't care, but it is a fact. Interesting you mention the FPB. The FPB has also killed a lot of Colorado elk.

Ed', and Art' home cast soft lead bullets would also kill any elk in Colorado, Montana, South Dakota..................... ☺

_
Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its my opinion that PB could use a similar alloy as Hornady and solve a great deal of the complaints you see online. Pointy bullets sell but they could easily offer a exposed lead flat point that would likely make at least some improvement.

I almost wish the 300gr PB Plats i have would fit my 45s but the bores are tight. Keep the speed down and that one isnt that bad until you look at over $1.60 a pop cost. Those PB Plats are not cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.