HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Caribou hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/415575-caribou-hunt.html)

hunters_life 09-14-2017 08:05 PM

Caribou hunt

Well, the time has come to pack up and run. Drop in hunt on the Fall migration of that wonderful walking meat known as the Caribou. Through a stroke of luck and friends cultivated over many years, I got a call a while back about another hunters misfortune leading to a cancellation with the pilot and outfitting service the old man and I have used for years to drop him in on his Moose hunts, with me in tow a few times, and the both of us on Caribou hunts over the years. This will unfortunately be the first Alaskan hunt of my life without the old man by my side making me laugh. I'll be taking 3 rifles with me. The smokeless muzzleloader, my Thompson Center Renegade, and my Winchester mod70 .30-06. I'll have tags for 2 bulls and plan on taking the first one with the smokeless in memory of the old man. And the second with the renegade if I can get close enough. The 06 is purely for backup or the slight chance encounter with a Bear. The smokeless will be packing the punch of a 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip full form sized .458 on top of 72.5 grains of H4198. The Renegade will be hosting the love of 95 grains of Swiss FFG under home cast 350gr maxi ball. The 06, again backup and defense only, will be loaded up with hand rolled 220gr Hornady interlocks. Just hope the skeeters and black flies are pretty much gone. My last trip I dang near needed a blood transfusion. All gear has been checked, rechecked, then ultimately, wife checked to make sure I didn't have a brain fart and forget to pack something important like toilet paper. The 2 scoped rifles are in their secure air carriers so as not to get knocked off site. The old faithful Renegade doesn't have that problem. Now for the always fun 2.5 day drive. Going to be a long drive by myself without the old man there to keep me awake. I should have set up a Moose hunt too but I just never really got into Moose hunting as heavily as he did. Maybe next year I'll get the itch for some Moose meat as it really is fantastic table fare. To all that hunting season has started for or will be starting soon, good luck and fare well. Hunt safe and hunt ethically.

Grouse45 09-15-2017 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4315752)
Well, the time has come to pack up and run. Drop in hunt on the Fall migration of that wonderful walking meat known as the Caribou. Through a stroke of luck and friends cultivated over many years, I got a call a while back about another hunters misfortune leading to a cancellation with the pilot and outfitting service the old man and I have used for years to drop him in on his Moose hunts, with me in tow a few times, and the both of us on Caribou hunts over the years. This will unfortunately be the first Alaskan hunt of my life without the old man by my side making me laugh. I'll be taking 3 rifles with me. The smokeless muzzleloader, my Thompson Center Renegade, and my Winchester mod70 .30-06. I'll have tags for 2 bulls and plan on taking the first one with the smokeless in memory of the old man. And the second with the renegade if I can get close enough. The 06 is purely for backup or the slight chance encounter with a Bear. The smokeless will be packing the punch of a 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip full form sized .458 on top of 72.5 grains of H4198. The Renegade will be hosting the love of 95 grains of Swiss FFG under home cast 350gr maxi ball. The 06, again backup and defense only, will be loaded up with hand rolled 220gr Hornady interlocks. Just hope the skeeters and black flies are pretty much gone. My last trip I dang near needed a blood transfusion. All gear has been checked, rechecked, then ultimately, wife checked to make sure I didn't have a brain fart and forget to pack something important like toilet paper. The 2 scoped rifles are in their secure air carriers so as not to get knocked off site. The old faithful Renegade doesn't have that problem. Now for the always fun 2.5 day drive. Going to be a long drive by myself without the old man there to keep me awake. I should have set up a Moose hunt too but I just never really got into Moose hunting as heavily as he did. Maybe next year I'll get the itch for some Moose meat as it really is fantastic table fare. To all that hunting season has started for or will be starting soon, good luck and fare well. Hunt safe and hunt ethically.

Dont kid yourself, the old man isnt missing this hunt. He will be with you all the way. Its just in a different way now. Good luck!!

bronko22000 09-17-2017 03:06 PM

Good luck and God bless you with a safe and successful hunt.