Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bird Shooting @ the Farm >

Bird Shooting @ the Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bird Shooting @ the Farm

Old 09-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bird Shooting @ the Farm

Two notes of good fortune!

1. The weather has cooled to the point that it is or could be be considered somewhat normal for the Palouse this time of year...
2. The Chick Pea's have been harvested at the farm so even though still dry I feel comfortable shooting there again!

My goal this morning was to get the velocity of a Lehigh .458x305 CF-HP shot with 120 grains of BH-209. Through some good fortune I was able to purchase some BH at an affordable price. I have not shot this bullet with BH only T7 and I am/was hoping that shooting BH would jump the velocity up 100+ fps at the muzzle. The average with BH worked out to be 2050 fps and T7 generates 1925 fps on average. So the expected boost was met with some additional comfort room.

The intent of the shoot was to be a very quick shoot just to get the velocities, so when I got to the farm I grabbed 4 birds and the range finder walked the birds out to 100 yards. Set the chrono up so that I could shoot through it at the birds. The birds were uphill from the shooting point but I got the chrono set so I felt good about shooting across it without worrying about hitting anything attached to the chrono.

From this point the shooting was pretty routine - take a shot get a collapsed bird. After those 4 shots I decided what the heck pulled the chrono and walked a couple of more birds out to 150 yards.

I use a PBR of 6" inches for sighting in my ML's. What that works out to ballistically is through a given (computed) range the bullet will never be higher than 3" nor lower than 3" in that range. At 100 yards the bullet will impact 2.5" high, at 150 yards the bullet should basically be zero and in this case the bullet will be down 3" @ 186 yards.

So going with the computations I held the cross hair centered on the 150 yards birds, and with my good fortune and the math work down by a program both of the 150 birds bit the dust...

This is a composite picture of this mornings events...

Another good thing! Turkey season opens in the morning - see u-all in the field!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, that is some great shooting.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by falcon
Sabotloader, that is some great shooting.
And it is a lot of fun just some relaxed shooting! In my mind, what's left of it, I imagine the clays as elk hearts
Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent shooting . Someday we got to get together for a hunt or just to shoot . Would be fun
Old 09-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Excellent shooting . Someday we got to get together for a hunt or just to shoot . Would be fun
Aint that the truth!

If it were not for the size of Montana it sure would be easier!!!

My daughter played college basket in a small town in eastern Montana... we flew from Moscow to Billing and drove to Miles City and it took forever. Montana is huge!