Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning

Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default cleaning

Whats the best stuff to clean a modern muzzle loader.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on what powder you use. Triple 7: I use a citrus cleaner, Blackhorn 209: I use Hoppes solvent or any centerfire cleaner would work. Pyrodex/Blackpowder: use a cleaner designed for pyrodex/ blackpowder: water or citrus cleaner.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Real black powder, Pyrodex, Triple Seven, Alliant, and American Pioneer all clean up easily with a bit of ordinary dish soap and room temperature water. Any solvent for Blackhorn.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Semisane, I have found through a lot of trial and error that about the best soap for real black powder, I pretty much exclusively use Swiss, is that cheap Ajax dish soap. It seems to work the best of all of them. Dawn comes in a very close second. One little trick I ran across that makes barrel cleanup just a tad easier is to dry swab 2 or 3 strokes before you go to cleaning. Getting that layer of ash out beforehand seems to help a good little bit.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Semisane, I have found through a lot of trial and error that about the best soap for real black powder, I pretty much exclusively use Swiss, is that cheap Ajax dish soap. It seems to work the best of all of them. Dawn comes in a very close second. One little trick I ran across that makes barrel cleanup just a tad easier is to dry swab 2 or 3 strokes before you go to cleaning. Getting that layer of ash out beforehand seems to help a good little bit.
I know everybody is different so:

The two best products I could recommend are:

Plain old Blue Windex

and

Then the final thing... a true synthetic bore oil - no petroleum - no Teflon

or Slip 2000

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-31-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want 1 product for all the ML powders take a look at Ballistol. You thin it with water for real black and most subs. Use it straight for BH209 and centerfires. It has the same main ingredient as Montanna Xtreme. Only the solvent base is slightly different. It uses a type of alcohol and MX uses a type of ether.

I do REALLY like the MX Bore Conditioner for short to mid length storage. IMO there are better rust preventers but if your bore is clean, dry then oiled rust wont be an issue anyway.

As mentioned just avoid Teflon products IN the bore. They serve no purpose IN a bore. The only thing they can do is have a negative reaction to heat when fired.

BTW a great product for drying a bore cleaned with water or to remove oils is non chlorinated brake cleaner. Just dont get it on plastics or the stock finish to be safe. It evaporates quickly taking the water/oil with it. It is rather toxic though so only use in extremely well ventilated areas.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-31-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Spike

I've been using hoppes #9 for clean up with BH209 and I used it on another gun that shot Triple 7 FFFG. Should I be using something else?? Did I hurt anything using Hoppe's with Triple 7 powder??
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hoppes Elite (water based) is probably ok for Triple7 but not #9 which is a oil based solvent. Triple7 should be cleaned with a water based solvent or just some slightly soapy water. Windex with a drop or 2 of liquid soap and some isopropyl alcohol would be at the top of my list for Triple7.

A little 91% rubbing alcohol or ISO-HEET fuel line deicer will greatly speed up evaporation of the water and prevent it from freezing. ISO-HEET is nearly pure isopropyl and easily found at any place that sells automotive stuff. Even Walmart has it. Regular HEET is methanol and should be avoided or at least avoid skin contact as much as possible.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Spike

Ahh crap.....I cleaned it with hoppes #9....
Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
Ahh crap.....I cleaned it with hoppes #9....
So...Just go back and reclean it. No big deal. Just use some alcohol to get that oil out of the bore the scrub away. Remember to give the bore a light coat of oil after cleaning and remove it before shooting using a dry patch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.