HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   inline muzzleloader setup (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/415000-inline-muzzleloader-setup.html)

PAnative 07-29-2017 04:07 AM

inline muzzleloader setup

this will be my first season using an inline, previously I only had a flintlock here in PA. But, NJ allows inlines so i figured why not. I got a CVA ACCURA MR.

what scope do you use on your inline? what bullets do you shoot?

Oldtimr 07-29-2017 04:38 AM

PA allows inlines as well, both in the muzzle loader season and the regular deer season.

ronlaughlin 07-29-2017 04:56 AM

This scope works for me. This bullet is accurate, flies good, and kills.

______

flint head 07-29-2017 05:22 AM

Congrats on your Accura MR! It may be the best feeling best shooting muzzleloader on the market today. I really like the Konuspro 275 muzzleloader scope and the 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum or 250 grain Aerolight with a 100 grains or so of powder for deer size game. Good luck this season!

PAnative 07-29-2017 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4312036)
PA allows inlines as well, both in the muzzle loader season and the regular deer season.

you sir do not know what you're talking about. The early muzzleloader season they are allowed, but who cares, thats a doe only season and ill be huting with my bow. Of course inlines are allowed in the rifle season. But they are not allowed in muzzleloader/late season at all

Oldtimr 07-29-2017 05:46 AM

No, you do not know your states seasons. We have a muzzleloader deer season and yes it is a doe season, and we have a Flintlock deer season.

From the online digest, DEER: ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide): Oct. 14-21. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 27. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 13. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

Flintlock season is a separate season from muzzleloader season that allows inlines and percussion as well as Flintlock ignition. From your post I thought you may not know. I assure you I know quite well what I am talking about and there was no reason for your smart response.

bronko22000 07-29-2017 06:04 AM

PANative...with only 57 posts that is no way to come on here and tell someone that they don't know what they are talking about. Oldtimr was only trying to tell you that inlines are permitted during the early ML season. How in the world would he know that you would be bow hunting during that time? He probably forgot more than you know.
How you responded is a quick way to make enemies on here.
Now to answer your question: I've had excellent results using a 295 gr BarnesTEZ with 80 gr of Alliant Black MZ. Or if you want to go a cheaper route you can use 300 gr .429" Hornady XTPs and a Harvester gree CR sabot over 80 - 100 gr of Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg. The scope on my Accura V2 is a Leupold Ultimate Slam but I also like the Nikon Prostaff scopes.

pooldoc 07-29-2017 01:10 PM

I've never been a fan of the powerbelts for my hunting.There are just too many other good choices available, not all of which can be used everywhere due to varying state regulations. Our primitive hunts in Louisiana and Mississippi allow the use of certain break action center fires using 45/70, 35 Whelen etc. Darn few muzzleloaders are used anymore. I use my Knight Disc Extremes, with bare primer conversions for all my hunting. I'm a huge Blackhorn 209 fan. It's so easy to clean up and being granular it's really easy to work up loads with. I do weight all my loads for consistency. I tend to use 250 to 300 grain bullets and 100 to 110 gr of BH 209 seem to produce the best accuracy. I use Winchester regular 209 primers most of the time. CCIM and Federal 209A are favored by many. I use various Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and for the last 2 years my bullet of choice has been Harvester's 300 gr PT Gold. Keep your flame channel clean and use firm, consistent seating pressure on your ramrod and you will be rewarded witn an accurate and effective load that I feel very confident with out to my personal limit of 200 yards.Enjoy, its a great sport and very rewarding. I will be 80 this fall and I've fired more rounds, spent more time at the range and had more fun in the last 6 years than in the previous 60 plus hunting seasons.

TN Lone Wolf 08-12-2017 09:06 PM

The muzzleloader my dad and sister use is a Thompson/Center Pro Hunter topped with a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scope, firing 250 grain T/C Shockwave bullets and sabots with 3 Triple Se7en pellets.

Mine is a CVA Optima V2 handgun, soon to be topped with a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm pistol scope. For hunting, I'll use 200 grain Barnes XPB bullets, Harvester Crushed Rib sabots, and probably 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. For practice, I'll substitute cheaper Berry's 200 grain HPs.

Jenks 08-13-2017 04:33 AM

I have a Redfield Accu-Ranger Sabot ML 3-9X42 on my CVA Optima. It is not a high dollar scope but it seems to do the job and has the Leupold warranty. As far as bullets, I use what is cheap and shoots well, usually something around 250 gr. Plain lead HP's such as TC Cheap Shot in sabots are fairly inexpensive. TC Sure Fire are jacketed HP 230 gr. bullets in sabots that seem to shoot decent. Both of these should do OK as deer ammo.