Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remember to use a Premium Bullet this fall! >

Remember to use a Premium Bullet this fall!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remember to use a Premium Bullet this fall!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Banned

if'n a 405gr powerbelt takes down a World Record, that's what you call a top of line, premium bullet.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in awhile
Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
if'n a 405gr powerbelt takes down a World Record, that's what you call a top of line, premium bullet.
So if a Kia hits and kills the next world record bear, are we calling them a "premium car" too?
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

completely different. If you ca't kill an animal with a 405gr bullet, you are either a terrible shot or just on something that messes with your head.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Therein lies the problem with powerbelts MountainDevil54. You have to go to sheer weight to get halfway decent performance. Or, with the lighter ones, load them down to damn near pistol velocities to keep them from blowing up. I can hit a bear in the head with a brick and kill it. That sure as hell doesn't mean I want to. In a .50 caliber rifle, I like the weights around 240-300gr at maximum velocities so I can reach out there a little if I have to. Heavily loading a 400gr+ bullet is hell on a shoulder at the range and would limit most people in practice time. I can absorb recoil better than most and even I don't like the pounding I get when I am practicing with my 375gr conical bullets with 100gr Swiss FFG. 10 shots in and I am starting to get a little flinch going on. But that is a bullet and load that my Renegade absolutely adores. And that bullet will put down anything walking on this planet. A person shouldn't have to pay exorbitant prices for a bullet that only performs well under very strict parameters and a person shouldn't have to use a bullet over 400 grains just so the damn thing won't blow up.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Banned

we just saw ron test a big bullet that didnt even expand. And a hollow point at that.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

And your point with that completely out of the subject matter statement was what? Yes Ron tested a big bullet. Yes it didn't expand as it should have. Trying hard to see the relevance to this thread. That was a home made bullet made by 52bore if I recall correctly. Not a powerbelt and not a premium bullet.