Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
grain for deer and ??beear >

grain for deer and ??beear

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

grain for deer and ??beear

Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 PM
Banned

im from colorado, a conical only state. I've bagged more game with POWERBELTS than you've witnessed in the field.

Why hit the shoulder? theres tons of good meat to ruin. Especially on an elk.

BTW: I'll be setting my dad up this year with 80gr BH209 and a 300gr Powerbelt PLATINUM

My brothers 54 and my 50 are all set and ready for round balls after this evening, so its just a waiting game now.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

powerbelt

_____
Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

that'll do.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would consider using the 45cal 300gr Plat for deer (since i have some) if they would fit in my bores. Ed's 350gr bullet does fit and performs just as well though for a fraction of the price.

A 300gr 45cal bullet has a similar sectional density as a 375gr 50cal. I only shoot the 350gr hp bullet to around 1300-1400fps tops though to prevent leading the bore. It just happens to be the sweet spot for its construction too.

Personally i think its kind of a shame PB does not make a slightly heavier 50cal Plat that is tougher. The Rainier 335gr is dirt cheap and holds together rather well for its weight. The Speer 325gr does also but it is a tad more fragile. Both are plain nasty in my 54-120 or 50 Beowulf at around 1800fps.

The 350gr 50cal Federal bullet comes to mind when we include game that can eat you and its cheaper than a PB Plat.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-22-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Bagged more game with powerbelts than I've witnessed in the field? Now didn't you just say a couple of posts back that you haven't downed much game with them? Get your story straight son. And I elk hunt near every year and have for over 30 years. I whitetail hunt in 5 different states every year. So I highly doubt your statement. In fact, your statement is absurd in it's generality. The old man had us in the woods about as soon as we could walk. Just because you dress up in goofy hats and funny looking old shirts from the past doesn't make you some sort of expert boy.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Fellers I know these hot dog days of summer makes a feller a little grumpy but dang. Now I ain't got no dog in this fight but I think y'all got a little off topic. However, it's just my opinion after all. Lol....
Old 07-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

My apologies Slowburn. It just gets my Irish up when a kid not only insults my integrity but then turns around and and contradicts himself time and time again. Figure out your story Mountaindevil54. You have either taken hundreds upon hundreds of game animals, which would need to be in the thousands to equal what I have seen in the field, or only a few with powerbelts. The bullet is either tough or you have to load it down and stay off bone for it to be worth a damn. You can't have it both ways. No matter how you dress up to look the part.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

And ronlaughlin, no offence intended here, but when it comes to that water jug test vs. the results I have personally seen on game animals, I think I'll go with what I have personally witnessed on game animals. Those water jug tests can be and are quite useful to do a comparison test and give one a general idea on bullet performances. But real world on live game performance it is not sir. Angles, bone density, fur and hide density, just too many things to list that make it an inefficient test to prove on game performance.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
.......... water jug tests can be and are quite useful to do a comparison test and give one a general idea on bullet performances. ........ Angles, bone density, fur and hide density, just too many things to list that make it an inefficient test to prove on game performance.
These tests were not intended to "prove on game performance." However, interestingly they ended up doing just that. Every bullet that has been run through these tests went through the exact same parameters. That is why the tests were done the way they were done. All the parameters were controlled so all bullets saw the same. They tests were conducted so all bullets endured the same interaction.

The tests done the way they were, allow one to compare bullets in a repeatable, reliable way.

What is weird, is the tests agree with performance on live animals whenever the same bullets were observed. This agreement with killing was a surprise, albeit, a pleasant surprise.

_________
Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Platinum Powerbelt Beats Thor

One surprise learned by doing these tests is the 300 grain Platinum Powerbelt, ran right by the 300 grain Thor. The Powerbelt went through the carpet, plywood, and four jugs. The 300 grain Thor went through the carpet, plywood, and three jugs.

Me, i have learned from several examples, the performance of a bullet in these tests equates to the bullets performance on animals. However, in this case, which is surprising, one is left with doubt, and with seemingly unanswered questions.

One thing is sure, the Platinum Powerbelt does have ablity to penetrate; does not blow up on the near side hide.

_______

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.