Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
grain for deer and ??beear >

grain for deer and ??beear

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

grain for deer and ??beear

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default grain for deer and ??beear

Whats a good grain bullet for the above.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a real open question. I'm just going to assume you have an in line in .50 caliber because that's the norm. If that is the case then anything from 240 gr on up is fine. But you really have to see what shoots best out of your rifle. Most of my rifles like a 300 gr Hornady XTP in .44 cal (.429") and a Harvester green Crush Rib sabot.
But there are plenty of bullets out there. Find one your rifle shoots accurately.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

I'd drop that grain recommendation down to 220 rather than 240 if shooting from a .50. Even 200 grain with proper bullet construction and a proper load can be a really good whitetail and bear dropper. I say this with the Lehigh and Bloodline bullets in mind. Having seen the results of a 220 grain Lehigh CF bullet at a little over 200 yards on a close to 300 pound buck, they proved themselves to be damn fine bullets.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I like the 338 Platinum Powerbelt in front of 100 to 110 grains of powder for a good all around load for just about any critter in North America.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300 xtp

What to like about the 300 grain XTP is it flies straight, is inexpensive, and kills good. What's not to like?

__________________________________________________ ______

It is a mystery to me why the speed of light is a constant relative to all observers.

It is a mystery to me why every where i look, i see someone talking on the phone. We didn't have a phone; Grandma, Aunt, and Uncle, all had party lines. When calls were made we talked short.

It is a mystery to me how CVA shills keep popping up out of the woodwork.

__
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 300 XPT is my go to bullet for a .50.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Flint Head, I'm not going to get into a brand bashing pissing match with you over this, but to recommend a bullet that is known to fragment and have extremely poor penetration on heavy bone, is extremely poor advise. Especially when recommending a bullet that would be used on an animal that can kill you just as easily as breathing. When giving advise for a bullet from a single shot weapon, you better give them advise with their well being in mind. Power Belts, especially those 338 plats, are not recommended for dangerous game and are very well known to be used on thinner skinned game such as whitetail. Notice, he did say for whitetail and bear. I am assuming he means Black Bear but even then, they can be some mighty tough critters themselves. If you want to be on the CVA and powerbelt bandwagon, that is your right and choice. But please don't try to recommend a very poor penetrating bullet for any kind of bear hunting. Especially from a muzzleloader.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

300g Powerbelt Platinum

This bullet seems to work good; didn't fragment too bad. Spendy?

__
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
What to like about the 300 grain XTP is it flies straight, is inexpensive, and kills good. What's not to like?

It can come apart like most any Hornady pistol bullet shot in a ML.

Here are a couple examples

Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

ronlaughlin, wasn't that a .45caliber bullet? 300gr in a .45 would have to have a lot of length. That would give it a pretty high sectional density. Not to mention, though they give an okay idea, just a water jug test really isn't that much of test for tough hide and heavy boned animals such as a black bear. Fair test for whitetail but people seem to be under the false impression that a whitetail bullet is going to perform just as well on a black bear. Black bear have near twice the bone density of whitetail and near 4 times the fur and hide thickness. At least the fully grown adults do anyway. Those 338 plats are just copper washed lead. Not a bullet I would put my life on when facing and animal that could turn and chew me up before I got reloaded. I myself want something that will bust through bone and hide and anchor that animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.